grand trunk double
    Tarp
    my DIY dog tarp
    Insulation
    mhh a lot of DIY
    Suspension
    hugs,bling,slings

So my dog ate my tarp

I made a silnylon tarp out of 1.4 oz. seconds from DIY gear supply. I followed their pattern for the hex tarp except I put in 3.5" cat cuts. I've had it for a couple months and then my dog ate it, not entirely but she did a pretty good job. 3 of the guy out points are chewed off, two and a half of the curves are completely shredded and gone, can't tell where the stitching was. It was a sad morning. I ordered 12 or 13 yards of fabric so I've got some leftovers after making the tarp and a backpack. I don't know if it'll be structurally the same or if I'd have to add the extra nylon in such a way as to not create more tears in it. I could just cut off what's shredded to a reasonable curve and see what's needed. I guess I would then sew the new layer under the old and after seam seal? Has anyone done some major repair to their tarps, 1/4 of the tarp or more? I'm in between repairing it or buying some cuben when I can find some money to make a new, smaller tarp. Lemme know what y'all think.

Oh, also I'm thinking of maybe a smaller DIY tarp system like the MSR Nube. I think a smaller, minimalist version that includes gear storage system and bugnet is a really great idea. But right now I just need a tarp.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Sorry for your loss.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hummingbird
    Tarp
    MEC Scout tarp
    Insulation
    -7c MEC Mirage
    Suspension
    Tiedown Straps
    My first step would be to DIY a Dog house...

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One has to wonder whether your dog would chew cuben before making that investment...

Images
    i bet you really miss that dog.....i mean tarp
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    That really sucks.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    Must have been the "cat cuts."
    Dogs can't resist.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    WL Summer/HG 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by x PREACHER x View Post
    Must have been the "cat cuts."
    Dogs can't resist.
    Good One!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well, since you live with a "Tarp Terrorist", you need some sort of deterrent for the K9. I have a little dog, I picked up after a woman tossed it out of her vehicle, it was under 2 pounds, now 6 months later it is 6 pounds. She is a terrier, I call her our Terrorist, she ate part of my down quilt, while laying next to me on my bed, I did not catch the hole she chewed until I shook out the quilt. Had down all over my room!

1. Bitter Apple on some scraps of the fabric might be a deterrent to future chews.
    2. Discussion with an animal behaviorist, about not chewing human's belongings. I am sure part of the fun was your taste, scent on the fabric.
    3. Demolished tarp left out with "Scat Mats" around the perimeter of the tarp, or laying across the tarp.
    Scat Mats send out a little static electric zap, cats and most dogs do not like the way it feels, it does not hurt them. I have 4 of them, 3 are AA battery charged and one plugs into the wall. I put them around my bed after my quilt was chewed. I have used them to train the puppy not to run out the door, my cats won't get on the counters because I had the mats up there for a while. Big dogs like Rottweilers seem to like the little zaps, they will lay on the mat and drain the battery. The majority of dogs and cats just hate the feel of the static electricity and choose to stay away from the pad. My dogs and cat, remember they were zapped in a given area, like the kitchen counter and will not go there again, ever.
    4. Obedience Training, such as this is yours, this is mine, you can not play with the human's toy unless the human gives it to you. If your dog is a chewing machine, this concept would be very difficult to teach and time consuming. The genetic makeup of your dog tends to dictate the chewing urge.

I am guessing, you did not post a image of the damage, I would guess the fibres are damaged not just the holes and shredded area, but the area all around the visible damage. I would not trust what you have left, it probably is not worth the time and energy to repair.

Do figure out how to help your dog become a better K9, he/she needs to learn what is acceptable to chew. The majority of dogs are able to learn, most humans need some training on how to help their dogs become reliable companions. There are loving ways to teach your dog to chew up his/her own things.

My sympathies for the loss of your tarp. Make sure the dog poops out all the fabric, our dog had to have his stomach surgically opened and eaten items removed to save the dogs life. So keep an eye on the dog for the next few days, if he/she is having problems with elimination, a trip to the veterinarian is in order.

Hammock
    grand trunk double
    Tarp
    my DIY dog tarp
    Insulation
    mhh a lot of DIY
    Suspension
    hugs,bling,slings
    Thanks everyone, I didn't wanna quote ironfish, but those are some great disciplinary steps to take. I've stepped on those mats before and I completely understand how that would deter pets.

I may have honestly beaten the dog after seeing what she did, but instead I took all my gear down and left my house in record time.

I think this is a picture.

1415028469420.jpg

Probably gonna end up somehow making this an asym tarp and maybe trying to make another shelter system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast