Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps

Scariest thing to happen to you IN your hammock...

What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you while hanging? Bear come in...hogs rooting...deer bump you? I'm very new to hammock hiking, and I have yet to do a solo. I know its more dangerous to drive to the convenience store and by a coke than it is to camp...I was just curious.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    While I was hanging at Boy Scout camp this summer I had a bat fly up under my tarp in the middle of the night. Didn't hurt anything but it about scared the life out of me. Took awhile to calm down and get back to sleep after that.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My son got a red squirrel in his hammock - pretty funny to watch. Before I started using permethrin, I ended up with a daddy long legs spider (or several) in my hammock. I was not about to budge so I just slept the rest of the night getting tickled.

The scariest night I ever had was in the Delaware Water Gap - as I was boiling water for dinner, a porcupine walked into my camp. It was like he didn't even see me (it was dark and I didn't have my headlamp on, and I may have been hanging across a wildlife trail). I turned on my headlight and yelled at him, and he backed off to about 20 feet away and stayed there all night. I could see those beady red eyes watching me. I finally nodded off in my hammock. In the morning he was still there - kinda creepy.

Another night in the Pine Barrens the coyotes were howling. It got louder and louder and pretty soon they were right on top of my campsite. Then the howling stopped. That creeped me out so much I had to get up out of my hammock and see where they were - never found them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Scariest thing..... When all of the guys you camp with are early to bed and early to rise guys. I like my sleep.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Scariest thing that has happened to me so far is that I woke up to a beautiful sunrise and nice and comfy after a wonderful restful nights sleep!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Something large enough to bump me from underneath and set me swinging a little. I was hanging pretty low, though, since I had my son in his hammock above me. I grabbed my headlamp pretty fast but I never saw what it was.

This past weekend I was hanging in my living room and a knot gave way and I hit my very hard wood floor from about 2 feet up....think it scared my wife more than me, but thankfully I was using a pillow or I would have hit my head, too.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Scary for me was hearing the coyotes howling a ways off and my Jack Russell sitting alert on my chest. I thought if they come close to my camp, my Jack Russell will go after them, and I know they would tear her up. They never did, and we had a nice nights sleep.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Last Thanksgiving we were at my wife's side of the family and I was hanging in the yard. I knew that her grandparents had a dog and I woke up to a scuffle under the hammock and I wasn't sure what the dog was getting into it with. Turned out that her uncle also had his dog up and the two of them where just rough housing. A couple of weeks ago I heard Coyotes while hanging for the first time, took a couple extra minutes to fall asleep.

The most annoying thing has probably been when I was hanging under the bird feeder at my buddy's house. The red squirrel was using my suspension and tarp to access the feeder and would shake me awake. It was pretty funny to slap the tarp and hear it slide off the tarp and then it would climb on the wood pile to yell at me.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    BSgi34sCQAAyIAy.jpgBSgjSPtCcAIt4JN.png
    I was hanging in the southern half of Itasca State Park that night, right where the nice big purple blob is about to hit in that screencap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast