Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Help me choose

I'm looking to get a Top Quilt for Christmas. I live in middle TN, so nothing super cold. Lowest I'll usually camp is 30*. I have a 20* New River KAQ. Was thinking about a 20* TQ, but I'm concerned that'll be too warm most of the time. I have a sleeping bag that's in the 40* range that I've been using for a TQ for a while now. I also get chilly some times in cooler weather using that bag. I roast in it if I use it in 65+ degree weather. So My practical range is 30-60 for this quilt. warmer than than I can just take a light blanket. I'm afraid if I move up to a 30* quilt that's pushing it for lower temps. Is a 20* TQ too much for this temp range? Keep in mind it's really humid here in spring and summer so I don't want to sweat. I just have no experience with down quilts and would value some input. I have the option of drawcord and snaps or sewn foot box, curious what you guys think about that as well given that I'm trying to make one quilt work for me most of the time.

Only other consideration is I want it to be able to go to ground if necessary, or use with a pad if I'm tent camping on a rare occasion I'm at a campground.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I live in central Virginia and often camp in the Blue Ridge. Similar conditions. I use a Cacoon 250 from, of all places, Wal-mart. It is down filled, I do not know the exact fill off the top of my head, but it is what I would call, "midweight." It is too warm for summer but not up to winter in Alaska.
    The best part is, this is a down filled bag for under $100! I got mine for about $70. You do have to search around a bit for them. I looked online at wally world and finally found one at a nearby store. Quite a few forum membes are "converting them" to top quilts by ripping off the zipper and the hood. I left mine alone just in case I have to go to ground. I love the thing. It compresses down to the size of a softball.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks
    I'm not too far from you and I'm probably hanging in very similar weather for the most part. I went with the HG Burrow 20 (+1oz of overfill) as my only TQ and haven't regretted it. If I'm too warm, I can throw a leg out or push the quilt to the side. I probably won't be camping in the 20's or teens very often, but I followed the "lowest you'll need" advice. If you're only getting one TQ, get the one that will work for you in the coldest conditions you'll hang in. It's much easier to adjust to warmer temps than colder...

Images
    But, you can also extend the range of most quilts with any number of tricks, from wearing or layering winter parkas and such (if the TQ is wide enough to cover everything without drafts) or hammock socks to, for the wild and crazy bunch: VB clothing or liners. And don't forget thick enough insulation for your head once you start pushing near the temp rating of your TQ.

If a person has the right hammock, a 20F PeaPod can be amazingly versatile(or better yet the 30F models that used to be available). First off, unless your hammock is pretty narrow, you will probably never be warm even 30F on top without draping clothing or better yet summer TQs on top, due to top gaps caused by the hammock's edges lifting the pod's top layer. Then, it is super easy to vent a little or a lot by adjusting parts of the top Velcro open or even wide open. I think I could adjust a pod to be OK at 70F, but then easy to close up if the temp drops and wind picks up a bit at 0400. Plus, by adding summer TQs or plenty of puffy clothing and closing the pod up, it is real easy to take it well below 20F. So, a very versatile but seldom used approach.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I live in balmy south Louisiana. I use 20* top and under quilts. One day I'll have a 40* setup. But venting is easier than trying to stay warm. And top quits are easier to vent than sleeping bags.

JMO

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    All WB tarps
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    I'm in middle Tennessee too, and trying to decide myself between a 40 degree and a 20 degree top quilt. I don't think I'll ever camp in 20 degrees, but 40 degrees may not be enough. I'm leaning towards an overfilled 40 degree quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I looked at the down fill in a 30* quilt, and it seems to be around 10oz. A HG burrow 40 has almost 8, so if I add 2 oz of fill that'd put it where a 30* quilt should be right? Or is there some other difference between an over-stuffed 40* and a 30*?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, bonefire, dutch
    Tarp
    superfly, HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers / Whoopies
    Also consider how you sleep, Are you a natural warm sleeper/person? Do you sleep in a base layer or just boxers? In my experiences a base layer and beanie helps a lot with added warmth. I looking at getting a 50 degree burrow for temps to the mid to upper 30's.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    Pretty cold sleeper. My feet especially. I wear a base layer and fleece cap. Most nights will be 40's-60's, but I'm worried a 20 will be too hot and a 40 will be too cold. If I do camp in the 30's, I'd also have a fleece bag liner for added warmth.

Is a 40* over stuffed to 10oz the same as a 30* quilt with 10oz of fill? Didn't know if baffle height was different or some other difference.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, bonefire, dutch
    Tarp
    superfly, HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers / Whoopies
    I believe so, it makes since to me. I have a 40 degree phoenix UQ over stuffed to 10. I have been into the 20's a couple of times but i also sleep with a pad between the layers of my blackbird.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast