WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

Help choosing my first UQ

I just got a WBBB XLC. I am going to try sleeping with my thermarest between the layers, but I will probably end up getting an UQ and using my 35 degree synthetic bag as a TQ. I think a 20 degree UQ will give me the best temperature range for how I camp. Are there any key differences between a full length UGQ Zeppelin or HG Incubator? Will they both work with an XLC? I looked at KAQ New River, but it looks like it packs down larger than my actual sleeping bag which I didn't like. I haven't seen any of these in person and I can't make it to the group hang in TX this weekend. Thanks for any advice.

Images
    All three of the UQ's you listed will fit your XLC.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks
    I'm using the HG Incubator 20 (+2oz of overfill) on my XLC and it has been great so far. Plenty of adjustability and with a little tweaking it fits like a glove. You definitely won't regret the Incubator, but if you do for some reason you could sell it here for almost exactly what you paid for it. I'm sure the same can be said for UGQ, but my experience is with HG...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    I just got a WBBB XLC. I am going to try sleeping with my thermarest between the layers, but I will probably end up getting an UQ and using my 35 degree synthetic bag as a TQ. I think a 20 degree UQ will give me the best temperature range for how I camp. Are there any key differences between a full length UGQ Zeppelin or HG Incubator? Will they both work with an XLC? I looked at KAQ New River, but it looks like it packs down larger than my actual sleeping bag which I didn't like. I haven't seen any of these in person and I can't make it to the group hang in TX this weekend. Thanks for any advice.
    If you can even come out for an hour, you can try out my 20 degree Incubator on my XLC to see exactly how it works. I will be getting in Thursday evening and leaving noonish Sunday.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I can't make any of it unfortunately.

Are there differences in the suspension between the UGQ Zeppelin and HG Incubator?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    I can't make any of it unfortunately.

Are there differences in the suspension between the UGQ Zeppelin and HG Incubator?
    Unfortunately both quilt makers are a bit close-fisted with closeup photos; I do have an Incubator and I saw some close-up pictures of an UGQ underquilt somewhere on the internet: both have a secondary suspension that seems to work fairly similar. So I would say the differences in the suspension are small / insignificant. The biggest differences are in the cut. The Incubator changes loft half-way to save weight where you don't need as much warmth. Some people like it, others don't. It has been working for me. The Zeppelin has the same loft everywhere.

The Incubator is also "shaped", meaning it is cut in a way to follow the hammock. I believe the Zepplin is cut straight - so basically if you uncinch it, it's similar to a blanket. But maybe a Zeppelin owner can confirm or refute.

Both makers offer custom work, although I have the impression that UGQ is a bit more responsive. UGQ has their own range of quilt fabrics with lots of colors - HG uses Dutch's Argon fabric which is offered in less colors (but it seems that this is changing).

For me, the deciding factor was weight. For my size, the Incubator was considerably lighter than the Zeppelin. Since I'm a very cold sleeper and have to carry way more insulation than "normal" people, this was very important to me. I have since discovered that Enlightened Equipment makes even lighter underquilts, if you're willing to spend more. They are offering a discount at the moment - so might want to check them out, too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Dutch
    Images
    I absolutely love my incubator with 2oz overstuff with my xlc. The fit is good but I did just sew 4 metal quilt hooks from Dutch to keep it from sliding off my shoulders at night which any quilt would do. The sew quality is great!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    A big difference maker for me was the "down proof" argon that hammock gear uses, it is soft and the down doesn't poke through.. Secondly, their under quilts are designed to fit your body as you lay in the hammock. Lastly, the ability to choose my color combinations....I have 2 sets of HG quilts and I couldn't be happier.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

• + New Posts