DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Bury length on continuous loops

After watching a few continuous loop videos, I'm a little confused on the proper way to determine the bury length. Is the Class II End-for end splice the correct set of instructions to follow to determine min. bury length on continuous loops? The two videos I watched had TheBrewGuy using 4" buries and 1" tapers and Opie using 6" buries (can't recall his taper length). Just wondering how this compares to the recommendations from Samson and what their recommended fid length is for an Amsteel continuous loop.

I think I've got a better understanding on the whoopie bury specs. The fixed eye bury (according to Samson) should be 2.25 fids, or around 5". Seems like some use 2 fids or 4.59", but they usually round this to 5" anyway so it ends up being the same. For the adjustable bury, it should be a min. of 3.5 fids, or just over 8". Some round this to 9" or 10". Did I get that right?
    Last edited by Spaceman; 11-04-2014 at 17:41.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Close enough. A fid is always 21 times the diameter of the rope.

I use 6" buries including the taper for 7/64" amsteel CLs. Some have reported using as little as 3", but I'll stay with Samson's splicing directions.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    if you "lock" the original pass through, id have to say that a 1" bury would hold tons of weight since its almost imposable to pull apart the locked Brummel its called I believe?? ive made cl very small say 5" round and used them to hold a lot of weight (very hard to make em that small) but fun to teach your self patients

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Close enough. A fid is always 21 times the diameter of the rope.

I use 6" buries including the taper for 7/64" amsteel CLs. Some have reported using as little as 3", but I'll stay with Samson's splicing directions.
    So is 6" the Samson recommendation? I guess that was my question. I wasn't sure which of their splicing pdfs applied to the continuous loop so I wasn't able to confirm this. Since 1 fid for 7/64" is 2.29", I'm guessing Samson is calling for a bury of 2.5 fids, or something close. Just wanted to verify, as I also would like to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    if you "lock" the original pass through, id have to say that a 1" bury would hold tons of weight since its almost imposable to pull apart the locked Brummel its called I believe?? ive made cl very small say 5" round and used them to hold a lot of weight (very hard to make em that small) but fun to teach your self patients
    Relying on just the locked brummel with little to no constriction would result in a higher derating in the strength of the rope, correct? 40% rings a bell, but I read all 97 pages of the Whoopie sticky yesterday so I have a lot of numbers bouncing around inside my noggin.
    Last edited by Spaceman; 11-04-2014 at 20:49.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    So is 6" the Samson recommendation? I guess that was my question. I wasn't sure which of their splicing pdfs applied to the continuous loop so I wasn't able to confirm this. Since 1 fid for 7/64" is 2.29", I'm guessing Samson is calling for a bury of 2.5 fids, or something close. Just wanted to verify, as I also would like to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations....
    It is an end-to-end bury for which the Samson calls for a 3 fid bury including a 1 fid taper. I cheat the taper a little and end up with a 6" bury instead the a full 3 fids equaling 6.87".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Works for me. Just knocked out 2 loops. The first one I did by just tucking in the tails without a locked brummel (I guess i's still a brummel, just not locked?). At first, I couldn't even tell where the end of the loop was, but after playing with it for a bit, I was able to get one side of the loop to start to back out and then it was really easy to pull apart. Because of this, I wound up making both with a locked brummel and the slight bump in the line. Has anyone done any destructive testing on a continuous loop with a locked brummel to see how much the strength is reduced? On my next one, I may try the straight brummel with some stitching.

Thanks for the clarifications.

• + New Posts