Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    OES MacCat standar
    Insulation
    Burrow/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Zing/Lash it "woopie" for tarp guy line?

Has anyone used zing it to make mini woopies to use as guy lines? I wasn't sure if there would be enough constriction to keep them tight.... I just seen the dutchware speed hooks. I was also thinking of attaching ~ 7ft of zing it to my msr stakes with a loop on both ends and just doing a shock cord larks head with the speed hook on the tarp. Just trying to figure an adjustable light self tensioning guy line system..

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Isnadm View Post
    Has anyone used zing it to make mini woopies to use as guy lines? I wasn't sure if there would be enough constriction to keep them tight.... I just seen the dutchware speed hooks. I was also thinking of attaching ~ 7ft of zing it to my msr stakes with a loop on both ends and just doing a shock cord larks head with the speed hook on the tarp. Just trying to figure an adjustable light self tensioning guy line system..
    I put mini whoopee's on my tarp,ddxl just because the last time I was out ,it was to windy to fish ,I made mine from, planner board ( tuff line ) 200 yds or mtrs ,cant remember ,made the mistake of making them with the large ( adjustable) through my tie outs , so now I am redoing them ,with bungee cord to the tie outs and then larks head the fixed eye to the bungee, might not get to try it out again this year ,but they did work fine when I had them on, apart from my mistake with the adjustable straight to the tie out ,don't know how much more weight it adds ,but if you seen the size of the ddxl, the whoopee's is the least of your worries lol,I only car camp so I love the extra room ,

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    This is, IMHO, overkill. Do it just to do it, but, not needed other than to have fun.

A single guy line is enough with many ways of adjusting. You can use the new hardware provided in the past couple weeks threads. You can use lineloks, prussics and even nothing.

The nothing is what Shug uses in his vids where he makes a MSH (Marlin Spike Hitch) with the stake as the spike. Very easy to adjust. I use prussics and also very easy to adjust.

Good luck on your quest, though. Have fun.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    001.jpg

its 150 yds 200lbs ,you can pick it up at most big box fishing hunting stores,$ 7 or $8 bucks Canadian probably $2-99 u.s.a . I just make a bunch of whoopee,s , cont loops, dog bones etc etc out of it is very easy to work with ,,I made a hammock for my cats and made the whoopee's for it with this stuff

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I've made whoopies out of Zing-it for use as guy lines, but I didn't like how much extra cordage was involved with the ones I made. They also tangled easily if I left big loops in them when I stowed my tarp.

More recently I've been experimenting with UCR-style guy lines. They use a bury like a whoopie, but the only loops in them are the locked brummels on each end and a short self-tensioning section with shock cord.

What follows is a thread that describes problems with the bury holding when a couple of the UCR-style lines got soaked in a recent storm. The takeaway is that a bury, whoopie-style or not, will absolutely hold for guy line duty if it is sized right. A whoopie-style bury that has constrictive force tugging at the bury from both sides will likely hold better (i.e. with a smaller bury), than how I made mine.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-wet-cold-icy

The photo in my post shows each side of the guy lines I have been experimenting with. There is a bury side for adjusting and locking the line length, and a self-tensioner side. The cordage that isn't visible in the photo is just a big 5 foot U shaped section of Zing-it that just connects the two sections you can see making the total length of the guy line about 6 feet.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    OES MacCat standar
    Insulation
    Burrow/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yeah, It may be a little over kill. I like the whoopee idea, DM's idea to knot the bungee and pass through to create the tensioner is an awesome idea. With the bury having no tension constricting the line i think the whoops would hold better. although you use more line and its easier to tangle. I thought about two locked loops on about a 10 ft line and loop aliens. I may try both. I just ordered 180 ft of zing it so ill be able to playground with it. Definately some insight on how to approach it. Thanks

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    I thought about this, but the idea of having some wasted length in the system turned me away. I went with linelocks.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    The shock cord passed through the Zing-it and knotted for tension was definitely not my idea. I picked that up from one of the many self-tensioning threads on the forum. Credit goes to whoever thought that up first and shared it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    A few of us have converted to 100% Zing-t/Lash-it whoopie sling lines on our tarps.

Tangling is not an issue with a little practice.
    It sure makes setup, adjusting, re-pitch and tear-down easier.

Whoopie slings never slip even in the worst conditions.
    Knots will slip.
    Metal thingies don't slip, but are fiddly.

I would not rely on UCRs. The lack of reliable tension on the long bury makes them slip in adverse conditions.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    A few of us have converted to 100% Zing-t/Lash-it whoopie sling lines on our tarps.

Tangling is not an issue with a little practice.
    It sure makes setup, adjusting, re-pitch and tear-down easier.

Whoopie slings never slip even in the worst conditions.
    Knots will slip.
    Metal thingies don't slip, but are fiddly.

I would not rely on UCRs. The lack of reliable tension on the long bury makes them slip in adverse conditions.
    The issue with whoopie slings for tarp guy out lines is that they are hard to loosen up when they are under tension.

As for your items that whoopie slings don't slip. That is correct, however I feel this is an undesirable trait for tarp use. Meaning that at 200 pound breaking strength, likely means that your tarp with break before the guyline will when under a big load. The other issue with whoopie slings is the length of buries (fixed loop and adjustable loop) don't allow the tarp to get as close to the ground as other methods.

I prefer to use a single length of lash it/zing it/planer board line with a fixed eye at one end over the stake and have a prussic loop that is attached the line and then larks-headed to the guy out point. This allows for adjustment of the line from under the tarp in rainy weather without getting wet and the prussic will slip long before the tarp material will rip if there is a sudden large load applied to it. (Prussic loop is from the same size cord as the guy line itself) This method also allows you to stake the tarp much closer to the ground. Lastly, for the same amount of adjustment as a whoopie sling, there is much less cord used so there is a weight savings.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast