Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Clark pads & PLUQ
    Suspension
    Woopieslings
    +1 on sticky!!
    Great tips as I am a restless sleeper, especially about base layer. Always change into fresh sleeping clothes, dry and comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    +1 For sticky. Good info!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Excellent article on sleeping warm in the colder temperatures.
    +1 on going to bed warm. Last winter I allowed my lower back to freeze in -40 c weather. I tried all night to warm by the fire, but alas, I decided to retire. I fell asleep but woke about two am chilled to the bone. I had to pull the pin.
    After thinking about the problem over breakfast, I realized that my MW4 was trapping the cold radiating from my lower back inside my insulation resulting in an unpleasant sleep.
    In hind sight, exercises before bed may have allowed the blood to start flowing, and coupled with a warm water bottle or two, I may have lasted till morning.

* I am also well aware that I was pushing the limits of my UQ greatly. With persistence, I believe that I can push the -40 c envelope.*

Great Article.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Good advice for sure!
    Another thing that works well for keeping warm in cold temps is to eat something just before retiring for the evening, it kicks in your metabolism and thus generates heat!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Very well put. Good information.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD 3 X 3 4 X 4
    Insulation
    58 pattern army
    Suspension
    whoppee slings
    I am new to all this, in fact I've only ever winter slept in my hammock once last Nov, so will be taking this on board in a big way because i want to be able to sleep/enjoy more nights over the winter. My set up at the mo contradicts this advice of which ill change when I get the funds, at the mo I have a 4 season sleeping bag, a pattern 58 down x army sleeping bag modded for my UQ a self inflating 3/4 army thermarest, and a wool blanket to throw over my sleeping bag, this info is so valuable for me thank you very much for posting, it's what we need to know
    Thanks
    Share your knowledge, it is a way to achieve immortality.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    Excellent write up Pan

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Great write up with some good points. Thanks.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Superfly or stock
    Insulation
    Jarbidge 3s KAQ
    Suspension
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Good advice for sure!
    Another thing that works well for keeping warm in cold temps is to eat something just before retiring for the evening, it kicks in your metabolism and thus generates heat!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Every once in a while we hear of someone who is not able to sleep comfortably down to the suggested temperature capabilities of a quilt. Here are some points to consider that might help anyone sleep better when using a down quilt or sleeping bag.

1. Down quilts, as well as down bags, are designed to drape gently over the body to achieve the maximum loft. It is the complex of micro dead airspaces created between and among the lofting down clusters that provides the insulation that retains the heat generated by the sleeper and keeps the sleeper warm. Thus, in standard mummy bags, rectangular bags and top quilts, the warmest sleep will be achieved by lying on one’s back, hands on the stomach or chest and remaining still. In this position, insulation can reach its maximum loft and effectiveness without compression driven thin spots or cold channels.

2. Neither quilts nor sleeping bags generate heat. The individual sleeper is the furnace that drives the system. The quilt or sleeping bag only retains the heat generated by the sleeper’s body. If you go to bed already chilled, it’s going to take a while before the body generates enough heat to warm you up. That’s why many outdoor publications recommend a little exercise before going to bed. It helps to jump start the warming process. It also helps if the sleeper is well fed and well hydrated before going to bed. The body furnace needs fuel to generate body heat. Stoke it to last the entire night. Focus on foods such as slow digesting hard cheeses rather than quick burning sugars and candy bars.

3. When using a quilt or a sleeping bag, what insulates the bottom of your body (the part that would otherwise be in contact with the ground) is as important as the quilt over the top. Cooler weather that requires one to use a warmer quilt/bag also demands warmer bottom insulation. If it is 20° outside, in addition to a 20° capable top quilt or bag, you need bottom insulation, be it a pad on the ground or an under quilt in a hammock, capable of keeping you warm in 20° conditions. If you are chilled from below, no amount of top quilt is going to keep you warm.

Longer and wider pads are also beneficial to the cold weather ground camper. Narrow pads that do not insulate the arms or short pads which leave lower legs and feet exposed may be fine for warm weather but are definite liabilities in colder temperatures. As a minimum they must be supplemented with other gear to provide adequate insulation. Items such as a pack with some gear in it under the legs, or a rolled jacket and pants under the arms are commonly used. However, these ultra-light/minimalist approaches are often inadequate because they tend to shift and are inherently less comfortable and result in excess tossing and turning which contributes further to lost heat from shifting and/or drafts.

While we’re talking pads let’s say a few words about comfort. Comfortable sleepers are still sleepers. Less comfortable sleepers are more restless; tossing and turning all night. Side sleepers who do not use thicker more comfortable pads are especially vulnerable to excessive restlessness. Tossing and turning contributes to down shifting to the outsides of the quilt or sleeping bag and results in thin spots above the sleeper which in turn become cold spots. Also, an active night of tossing and turning will invariably lead to heat loss when a top quilt comes untucked or lifts to expose a body part. Thin pads may be inherently lighter; but thicker, more comfortable, and warmer pads will contribute to a better, warmer, and more restful sleep. In the long run, that restful sleep will result in being able to cover more miles in a day.

4. One’s sleep habits can and do defeat even the best of bags/quilts and pads. One of the most common errors committed by cold sleepers is to “hunker down” and pull the bag tighter around themselves. This is often done to reduce the air pocket of a larger bag. To a point this is beneficial. However, when you go past the point of simply eliminating the dead space, you compress the down and create thin spots that will result in cold spots. Another common habit, that is almost instinctual, is to curl up into a ball. The problem is, doing so causes knees and elbows and shoulders and hips to stick out which further contributes to causing thin spots which again result in cold spots. Invariably, the sleeper then exacerbates the situation by tossing and turning to warm these localized thin spots or cold invasion points. Again restarting the excessively active sleeper issues.

Note: the issues of paragraphs 3 and 4 are particularly problematic for side sleepers, especially when any two or more points apply. Active side sleepers are well advised to use thicker, wider pads to quiet their restlessness. Additionally, when purchasing down quilts or bags, they should consider requesting overstuffing or look into heavier/denser fill downs or synthetic bags.

5. Sleep clothing is also important in the conundrum of warm, great sleep. The clothes you have worn all day are damp from sensible and non-sensible perspiration. We may think we have worn them dry. But this is often not true! Change into a dry, seasonally appropriate base layer, including socks and a warm hat before retiring for the night.

To summarize, to stay warm at night: put on dry clothes; go to bed already warm, well fed, and well hydrated; bottom insulation and comfort is as important, if not more so, as top insulation; and get the maximum effectiveness out of your insulation by allowing it to drape gently over your body to attain maximum loft.

Pan
    This post should be read by everyone and anyone who plans on sleeping in thier hammock.

I vote to make this post a sticky
    Thanks Pan, and we all thought you were just another pretty face

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast