Hammock
    Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    if you want to laugh a lot and learn some while doing it, Shug's video's cracked me up.
    Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Shug got me hooked. His personality kept me watching and it was inevitable for me to give some new things a try.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Shug has been the gateway for many of us and will continue for many more, a great ambassador to the sport. His videos are in a different stratosphere. In fact, he should consider a career in entertainment, perhaps a one person variety show of sorts. Some may say he is a funny guy who juggles stuff...

Additionally, I have picked up many a subtle, helpful tip/trick from almost every video maker out there. Watching their camp set-up, how they rig and carry their pack and prepare other gear. I find myself trying and adjusting continuously due to what they have shared. And...after watching any trip report video - I find myself wanting to get out to the woods and have some fun!!!!

As to my favorite of all time:

http://youtu.be/YsICgcSzfmo

And for winter (this one got me into my backyard and messin around in winter:

http://youtu.be/HTe6-kxY5rI
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I have enjoyed SHUGS. Especially HICHORY BROTHERS. HIKING DADS AND HILLBILLY DELUXE

Asking for the best inevitably will slight a lot of very, very good videos. The entire outdoorsy cannon on youtube has some real gems and I'm sure there are undiscovered talents lurking there but to answer the question posed:

For straight "here's how to do A, B, C" it's hard to beat the Professor, but Warbonnet videos are very good at that too.

But I think if you want to encourage people to get out in the woods, my personal favorite would be (of course) a Shug video, part of the Linville Gorge series with the lightning storm. That one encapsulates what it's all about. It's not a how-to so much as a why to.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Shug is my hero, he's in his 50's and can out hike most everyone I know. I can appreciate his carefree, childlike humor and as a bonus my wife watches me sit in my recliner and laugh...she enjoys the fact that I'm so easily amused. I think it's good to forget how bad our world has become and just enjoy the simple pleasures of life. He does it best!! He shows the camaraderie of like minded folk in the woods and at the end of hikes in the towns.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Sidney, thanks for a specific video.

It is an amazing video, I'm sure it too would get a lot of ground dwellers to sign up! "Let's hang from trees on a mountain top, in the middle of a thunderstorm!" Kind of a "what NOT to do" video.

I appreciate the wise guy comments from everyone (really), I challenge ye' all to film yourselves eating Pork Brains in Milk Gravy!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Shug is my hero, he's in his 50's and can out hike most everyone I know. I can appreciate his carefree, childlike humor and as a bonus my wife watches me sit in my recliner and laugh...she enjoys the fact that I'm so easily amused. I think it's good to forget how bad our world has become and just enjoy the simple pleasures of life. He does it best!! He shows the camaraderie of like minded folk in the woods and at the end of hikes in the towns.
    My wife has caught me snickering more than a few times watching a Shug vid. I do get the feeling she thinks I'm easily amused and she'd be right. She has admitted that the little she has seen of Shug she has enjoyed but she remains in the closet for now..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoEvo View Post
    It is an amazing video, I'm sure it too would get a lot of ground dwellers to sign up! "Let's hang from trees on a mountain top, in the middle of a thunderstorm!" Kind of a "what NOT to do" video.
    That particular video has all the elements to entice anyone to the great outdoors in a hammock set up;

1- In the backwoods with the sounds, sights, and lack of civilization...mental ex lax.
    2- Adventure! The biggest light and sound show you will ever experience is a close electrical storm. Some things are simply worth the risk (within reason).
    3- Tarps set up in front porch mode so you can sit and enjoy the panorama show (one of my favorite hammock things). Try that in a nylon cage (tent).
    4- At around 9 minutes a fine example of extreme hammock sleeping comfort.
    5- Shug doing his breakfast from the hammock tradition (another of my favorite hammock things).

If it does not at least inspire some serious curiosity...the person watching is hopeless and you are wasting your time.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-09-2014 at 14:51.

I came across Shug's videos by chance the other day, didn't realize he was such a celebrity on here! makes sense, his videos are great

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast