Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car Camping hammock

Hi all; First post in here I guess. Long story, but for now I just need a car camping hammock that's quite strong; Minimum costs within reason, and weight is a "not care" as we engineering types put it. I have been thinking of making my own, weaving it out of paracord as I am quite good with knots, and my sewing skills suck (to way understate things :P)

Was going to say that if a tablecloth hammock is better, though, I guess I can get using the sewing machine. Haven't done lots of hanging since the 80s, before the group of us knew what underquilts were etc., things have definitely improved.

Looking at Caveman's "DIY Tablecloth Hammock (the way I do it)" and Knotty's mods, though, no sewing needed and pretty fast? Hmmm, that might be a good answer... I can deal with the zingit concept, better than ropes that existed back then. And looks inexpensive all in all, my budget definitely bites. So I'm thinking of trying that. Have to see what's done for suspension, lots to learn, but then there always is

Is there a good post on "How it all ties together" for those coming back into this? Haven't caught it yet, but still reading. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site.

For cost and ease of getting to a complete hammock, using the table cloth method is very hard to beat. I don't have the time to search out the links for you, but take a few minutes to search the DIY section and you will find a couple of links for table cloth hammocks. Most will tell you to avoid using para cord, it stretches too much.

Or ... look at the Dutchware link ...> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...chwaregear-com

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    For cost and ease of getting to a complete hammock, using the table cloth method is very hard to beat.
    Recently there have been numerous reports of the tablecloth fabric having catastrophic failures. If you want the DIY approach I would strongly suggest Dutch's blanks. Made by a guy who knows hammocks for a community that cares about hammocks.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Car Camping hammock

I think your over blowing the situation. The failures seemed to be from too tight of stitching at the hem channel which tore and mine was from a knee and two teenages getting it on. I've put together at least 20 of them and only the one knee failure.

A friend has himself , his daughter and a 40lb dog in it.
    Go for it. They work fine. Just don't have the stitches to tight together if your seeing an end channel.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Given your stated limitations a whipped end hammock does not need any sewing. Basically you gather the material and fold it over and tie it off. Much better directions abound. I would heat seal the cut ends. Edges do not need sealing but will be more floppy without a hem. That will work with either table cloth hammocks or 4 yards of sport nylon from JoAnn's or similar. Anybody with a coupon.

Dutch's sewn Argon blanks are a definite upgrade and not too bad an upcharge. The new suspension he has is also about the lightest and simplest around if you weigh in under around 250 lbs. More than that and I would want 1/8 amsteel or better straps.

Another way to go on the suspension is Harbor Freight cargo straps. The buckles suck but the strapping is fine. Check with Ready Strap for hammock hanging strap suspension:

Or go with Dutch's current offerings. Maybe a mix and match. Dutch has the lightweight bling while Gary can cover more than anybody can weigh and live to tell about it. ;-)

If it was me going ultra cheap it would be either table cloth or Joann's depending on shipping cost for the body. Strap suspension parts from HF along with a couple of climbing biners from my spare stuff bins. If I was going a bit higher I'd visit Dutch and Ready Strap.

http://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/

http://www.readystrap.com/

That will get you as good or better than anything else until you get to sewn in features like bug nets, pockets, or custom shaping.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

OK, looking at suspension and to see what kind of rope to use for whipping, amsteel I guess; Always more to learn

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    If its car camping I'd just get long straps with cinch buckles.

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    If its car camping I'd just get long straps with cinch buckles.
    Agreed. Woopie-slings are more for light weight suspension. I suggest you get some very long tree straps if you wish to do this. Or you can go for ENO Atlas straps and a carabiner.

As a reminder: If you're thinking of sleeping in this hammock, anywhere under 70F, you'll want bottom and top insulation so you don't freeze your *** off.

I'm not entirely sure what tree straps are, probably what we called tubular webbing back then? Oh, OK looks more like seatbelt webbing; that's thinner but should do nicely I still have my old climbing carabiners, so I can use a few of those for suspension. And I see the cinch buckles, I could tie knots alternately, should work out then. And I know very well on underquilting, I am thinking on how to do that (though worst case I could hang out in the hammock days and in the tent nights, I am fairly well set for tent camping.) I know from back then that a sleeping bag compressed under you, is not exactly a good insulator :P I have some harbor freight moving blankets I've been using as sleeping pads for tent camping, those should do for a trial for an UQ probably as they will trap air and I tend to sleep warm as heck anyways. Have to figure out how to attach them, 550 cord or something or read up and see what others have done there.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what tree straps are, probably what we called tubular webbing back then? Oh, OK looks more like seatbelt webbing; that's thinner but should do nicely I still have my old climbing carabiners, so I can use a few of those for suspension. And I see the cinch buckles, I could tie knots alternately, should work out then. And I know very well on underquilting, I am thinking on how to do that (though worst case I could hang out in the hammock days and in the tent nights, I am fairly well set for tent camping.) I know from back then that a sleeping bag compressed under you, is not exactly a good insulator :P I have some harbor freight moving blankets I've been using as sleeping pads for tent camping, those should do for a trial for an UQ probably as they will trap air and I tend to sleep warm as heck anyways. Have to figure out how to attach them, 550 cord or something or read up and see what others have done there.
    I made my own hammock, underquilt, suspension. The total cost (not including buying the sewing machine) was roughly $400. That includes 1lb of down for the uq and the purchase price of the sleeping bag that I use for my blanket. The hammock itself only ran me about $60 in total materials costs (whether I used all the material or not). I started out using paracord to attach my uq but ended up switching to shock cord because it allowed me to move around in the hammock without creating as severe of cold spots.

If you want some pointers on hammock insulation (and hammocks in general), check out Shug's video series located here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast