DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff

DIY for a synthetic top quilt

This is a long shot (I think), but I’m going to put it out there, and see what happens. This is inspired by the thread miyanc started in late September, where he offered to do DIY as barter for gear.

I am in need of (and want to make) a top quilt from a combination of 5oz and 2.5oz Climashield Apex. I am confident I can do the job, but there is something I am missing, and that is where (hopefully) one of you come in.

Do you want a +/- 20*F synthetic top quilt made from layers of Climashield apex too? Do you want one ‘custom made’, but lack the desire/skill to take on the project yourself?

You choose the fabric(s), color(s), and desired dimensions and features of the finished quilt you want. I will provide you with a product list to build two quilts. You can choose to either purchase the supplies and have them shipped directly to me, or ship supplies to me yourself (if you happen to have them on hand). Due to the forum rules for the ‘For Trade’ threads, I am not permitted to have you pay me directly to order materials.

I am not a fledgeling producer; nor do I wish to compete with all the great cottage vendors here on HF. I’m just a DIY nut, and I need gear, and a new project, with an invisible budget. By my estimation, the materials needed to make the two quilts (depending on several factors) should come in under $200 and finished product should weigh in under 33oz.

(Note: I will be doing this in my ‘spare’ time, evenings, and whenever else I am not already obligated. My goal is to have this project done and shipped out before the holidays.)

If by some miraculous occurrence I find more than one person willing to do this, I will accommodate up to two people, resulting in making FOUR top quilts. The ‘extra’ quilt will then be a (not-so) secret Santa gift.

For the sake of transparency, and for my fellow DIY gear voyeurs, I will take (iPhone) photos, and post all project progress in this thread.

First (two) I’ll Take It’s get to play.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    For what it's worth (I'm sure this post will get deleted) I have seen and can attest to Shef's quality of work.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    For what it's worth (I'm sure this post will get deleted) I have seen and can attest to Shef's quality of work.
    I honestly can't see how this would be removed.. MrPrez operated a trade like this last year even before the FT section was born. He did a number of tarps asking for another tarps worth of Sil in exchange for his sewing work.

So to clarify.. Shef is asking for materials for 2x topquilts, in exchange for 1 finished quilt, correct?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    I think Gresh was referring to his own post being deleted, because it isn't exactly on topic (though I do appreciate the cred ).

But yes hk2001, that's the short version.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by shef View Post
    This is a long shot (I think), but I’m going to put it out there, and see what happens. This is inspired by the thread miyanc started in late September, where he offered to do DIY as barter for gear.

I am in need of (and want to make) a top quilt from a combination of 5oz and 2.5oz Climashield Apex. I am confident I can do the job, but there is something I am missing, and that is where (hopefully) one of you come in.

Do you want a +/- 20*F synthetic top quilt made from layers of Climashield apex too? Do you want one ‘custom made’, but lack the desire/skill to take on the project yourself?

You choose the fabric(s), color(s), and desired dimensions and features of the finished quilt you want. I will provide you with a product list to build two quilts. You can choose to either purchase the supplies and have them shipped directly to me, or ship supplies to me yourself (if you happen to have them on hand). Due to the forum rules for the ‘For Trade’ threads, I am not permitted to have you pay me directly to order materials.

I am not a fledgeling producer; nor do I wish to compete with all the great cottage vendors here on HF. I’m just a DIY nut, and I need gear, and a new project, with an invisible budget. By my estimation, the materials needed to make the two quilts (depending on several factors) should come in under $200 and finished product should weigh in under 33oz.

(Note: I will be doing this in my ‘spare’ time, evenings, and whenever else I am not already obligated. My goal is to have this project done and shipped out before the holidays.)

If by some miraculous occurrence I find more than one person willing to do this, I will accommodate up to two people, resulting in making FOUR top quilts. The ‘extra’ quilt will then be a (not-so) secret Santa gift.

For the sake of transparency, and for my fellow DIY gear voyeurs, I will take (iPhone) photos, and post all project progress in this thread.

First (two) I’ll Take It’s get to play.
    id be in on this under a couple conditions.... if you can do an underquilt instead of TQ for me, and actual total cost. if you can supply me with a list and the total damages would be nice, so if this sounds like a deal LMK (im assuming that the cost will go down cause of underquilt size???)

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    id be in on this under a couple conditions.... if you can do an underquilt instead of TQ for me, and actual total cost. if you can supply me with a list and the total damages would be nice, so if this sounds like a deal LMK (im assuming that the cost will go down cause of underquilt size???)
    If you would like me to make you a list, I will need some desired specifications first:
    1. 3/4 length or full length
    2. Just to clarify, you do want to have it be rated for approximately 20*F, using one layer each of 2.5oz and 5oz Climashield Apex?
    3. Do you have a fabric preference? Since it is not against your skin, it's not as much of an issue as would be a hammock or top quilt. The most economical way (that I'm aware of) is to get 1.1oz ripstop seconds from DIYGearsupply, but then you are very limited on colors. Ripstopbytheroll.com has several colors of 1.1 available at great prices, just not as cheap as the 2nds. So, determine if a specific color is important to you, or do you prefer cost savings.

Take a look at the links above, and let me know your thoughts on those matters. We can take this portion of the conversation off the thread to PM, to keep from cluttering this up too much. If we come to agreement, and decide to move forward, I will bring the conversation back here for the sake of continuity. As it so happens, I could probably use a warmer UQ as well, so I'm not opposed to it.
    Last edited by shef; 11-09-2014 at 13:07. Reason: HTML code error.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    gnar has decided on a 3/4 length (60" by 48") under quilt. Here is the 'needs list' to build two <> 20*F Climashield under quilts:
    Climashield 20* 3/4 Underquilt

5.0 oz Apex Climashield (60" w) 1.2" loft - 3 yards
    2.5 oz Apex Climashield (60" w) 0.6" loft - 3 yards
    Ripstop Nylon 60+″ wide - 6 yards
    1.5" Grosgrain - 14 yards
    1/8" Shock Cord - 50ft
    Cordlocks - 8 - each

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    PM Sent.

10 characters required to post.
    Support the vendors that support HammockForums and our members!

• + New Posts