Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    He should have his camp leaders take a nap in his hammock, I'm sure their opinion would change after that

Having been a scoutmaster, I know that there are people who want everything to be the same as when they were scouts. That means tents and sleeping on the ground. I don't know if this is the case with your former SM, but you can and should talk to the new guy and explain to him that your son is proficient in hammock camping, and has the insulation systems, and backup systems, to be warm in the hammock.

I know what it is like to worry about a boys safety on a cold night, or whether a scout will get disgusted with cold harsh conditions and give up on outdoor adventure. But your son was not only prepared, but overly prepared. And it is very hard for young scout to stand up to an adult figure of authority on something like that. I applaud his spirit of adventure.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    Having been a scoutmaster, I know that there are people who want everything to be the same as when they were scouts. That means tents and sleeping on the ground. I don't know if this is the case with your former SM, but you can and should talk to the new guy and explain to him that your son is proficient in hammock camping, and has the insulation systems, and backup systems, to be warm in the hammock.

I know what it is like to worry about a boys safety on a cold night, or whether a scout will get disgusted with cold harsh conditions and give up on outdoor adventure. But your son was not only prepared, but overly prepared. And it is very hard for young scout to stand up to an adult figure of authority on something like that. I applaud his spirit of adventure.
    Yes I have talked with the SM and we are on a better understanding on him using his hammock from here on out. Also there are a couple of other leaders who want to hammock with troop camping and now that myself and son are every much hammock campers they are are going to start using theirs now too.
    plus we are working on getting others in troop to start doing some over night backing and 2 to 3 day trips.
    so all an all it is looking better for the future.

I'm not just a dad but a ASM and I have been the CM of our local cum scouts and taking them camping was always fun. So I get the whole thing of worring about the boys on cold nights but now we are headed in the right direction cause it is not the "well we do it like this cause we have always done it like this ". troop is getting some new ideas and heading in a good direction. It just takes people to stand up and say I want to be apart of the planing and willing to do the work too.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Soon you'll be competing for trees and hanging bunks.

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Soon you'll be competing for trees and hanging bunks.
    I could only dream that the boys and most of the leaders take to hanging. We already have a couple starting too.

We are a very small troop, less than 10 boys and the funny thing is we have just as many leaders.
    some leaders have been with troop for 25 to 40+ yrs. and they dont have a kid or grandkid in scouta anymore.

and for me I love the time and experience these guys have but at times it's just " you have to do it this way cause we have always done it this way."

Still love my troop so I will keep my soapbox put away.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12