Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

di I give my son the right tools to stay warm

Ok her is the low down on where I am as his father first and scout leader second.
    I had to work this weekend so I could not go with the troop for this campout.
    My son stilll wanted to hang this weekend and he is the only one other than me who hang when it is below 70 over night.
    after they got to the camping area he slept last night in a tent cause it was dark and others had them already set up and it was late.
    Plus most of the older leaders have the mind set that hammocks are cold and you cant stay warm in one, so he was hearingthis lastnight and this morning. He got ahold of me by phone to make sure he would be warm and that he knew just how to use every thing right.

this is our first year hanging in colder weather and after spending hours on this great forum learning from others and talking with
    friends in other troops that hang year round. I felt we had gotten all the gear we had and borrowed a home made under quilt from a friend
    that he would stay warm this weekend. over night lows down just to 30 in the earlly morning and 10 plus MPH winds at times.

so here is my thought....
    did I send him with the things needed to be successful and warm tonight.

list of what he has with him

1. Using a HH ultrilite backpacker w/ Monsoon rain fly and doors.
    2. home made under quilt from a sleeping bag about 30 deg.
    3. CCF pad 1/2" thick
    4. fleece sleeeping bag liner
    5. Koppen 20* mummy bag
    5. he has on base layer cloths to sleep in and a fleece cap for his head.

he has been a warm sleeper for the most part.

I wont know until tomorrow how it whent for him but I feel good he should be warm with that set up tonight.
    any thoughts on this i welcome the feed back

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For a hanger with experience, no problem, if he has practiced first.

Its tuff to try that in the woods for the first time. At least he can go into shelter(tent) if needed.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks for feed back.

he has used all of it before with out the UQ and said he was to hot when temp was in the upper 30's.
    that is why i think he will be fine but other leaders think he will not and I'm not there with him this time.
    I'm very confident he can set it up on his own. he has been practicing it at home in back yard.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    If he has used it without the UQ into the 30's and been toasty ...should be even toastier with the UQ even at 30* assuming he has it set up right. If not he has a bail out to a tent and chalk it up to a learning experience to carry forth. Do a total shake down with him post hang and go test some more in the back yard either way .
    Awesome he is doing it on his own and not following the herd to the ground...
    Hopefully the other leaders/troop support him either way instead of assuming its not gonna work

Hope to hear a super positive report back!!
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    will be putting up the low down on how it whent as soon as I get to talk with him tomrrow.
    I'm sure he is snug as a bug in a rug.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    well he never got to hang last night. a couble leaders keep telling hin he would get cold and the only trees that he could use and still be with the group had poison on them and he knows his sister is very prone to getting it even if one of us was near it and come home and she is in contact with us or gear before we get it cleaned well. so he did not want to chance her just for him one night in hammock.
    other than that not a good night in tent he said. things got wet from ground cuase troop does not have ground covers for the tents. and it rained a little saturday morning.
    so we will be hanging in back yard to get more time in.
    thanks for the suport
    thats why I like this forum.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsinnett View Post
    well he never got to hang last night. a couble leaders keep telling hin he would get cold and the only trees that he could use and still be with the group had poison on them and he knows his sister is very prone to getting it even if one of us was near it and come home and she is in contact with us or gear before we get it cleaned well. so he did not want to chance her just for him one night in hammock.
    other than that not a good night in tent he said. things got wet from ground cuase troop does not have ground covers for the tents. and it rained a little saturday morning.
    so we will be hanging in back yard to get more time in.
    thanks for the suport
    thats why I like this forum.
    Well, good thing he did not get in contact with that poison ivy. Down here that evil stuff takes a lot of trees out of the picture. He'll get it next time! BTW, I think he would have been plenty warm.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The only questionable elements:

1. How well he could suspend that UQ without you? Sleeping bag conversions vary a lot in this respect compared to a custom designed-to-suspend UQ. That risk would have been mitigated by the 1/2" pad though.
    2. That Koppen bag - if it was the Viggen, then you're close to the comfort limits at 30. Mitigated by the base layers, hat, your son being a warm sleeper and the fact that 3/4 of the bag would have been surrounded by the UQ.

He should have been warm enough. Boo to the other leaders for their attitude, please train them in the error of their ways.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    we practiced with him on set up so I feel he had that part figured out.
    He is very impressionable by older adult leaders and would never say or do anything that may be taken as disrepectful.
    next trip with troop is in a cabin so no hanging then and him andI are planning a trip in the snow this January, fingures crossed there is snow.
    his mom said that on trips he gets to use hammock with troop one of us is going with him (she is a leader in scouts too) and will tell him to put it up and if anyone says anything it will be "I got this under control" .
    It just gets under my skin when people try and tell someone they cant do something when they know nothing about it.
    Found out that a couple of the leaders had a heater in the tent with them.
    The scout master does not like that cause they tell boys no heaters but then the older leaders who was scout master has one for himself.
    New leader wont stand up to old one and he thinks he is still in charge.
    Makes it hard on boys some times, but know he means well, and has been a leader at that troop for over 30 yrs.
    My wife andI are slowly getting them to understand that our son is very self reliant and if is is doing something like hammocking when everyone else is on the ground it is because he knows what he is doing and we as parents made sure he has the gear needed to do the job.

So yes we are working on making changes but we are new to this troop and it will take time. but some of the leaders want things to move forward and not stuck in old rut cause we did it that way for 20 yrs.

Well thanks for letting me vent alittle and I will try to keep my soapbox pushed under the table.

with my new job I have to work ever third weekend and this trip and the next one in Dec. are on my weekends.
    But as we plan out next year am hoping we can work more of them in on my weekends off.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sounds like the leaders could use a lesson from your son on respect. Pressuring someone to conform isn't right, especially from someone in their position. I'd be pushing hard for them to be removed if it were my son.
    Hopefully he gets a bit more comfortable with his setup and gains enough confidence to tell them that he is comfortable and secure in his camping choice. Then he can enjoy a good nights sleep high and dry while everyone else sleeps on the cold ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast