WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20F HG UQ, JRB Qlt
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Best Underquilt for WBBB XLC

I know, I know ... I promise I'm not trying to start a holy war.

Weight is not a huge concern for me, so I'm going for a full underquilt, rather than a shorty that requires a pad for keeping my feet warm.

I do plan to do some backpacking, but I'm not a gram weenie - yet. I'll gladly hump an additional 8 ounces if it means I'll be warm and toasty with a simple setup.

I'm going for 0F, since I want the option of camping/backpacking in winter, and I've been cold before and really didn't care for it.

I have the 1.7 double layer BB. I recently used a pad between layers along with a military sleeping bag. It worked, but I worry about the zippers ripping my hammock.

UGQ has the 10% off right now. ~$250 for a full length UQ with 1oz overfill seems fantastic.

Assuming you had ~$350 to spend on a single underquilt (I prefer to own only 1 UQ), what would you get for your gathered end hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew7hayes View Post
    Assuming you had ~$350 to spend on a single underquilt (I prefer to own only 1 UQ), what would you get for your gathered end hammock?
    With that limit, I would order a HG Incubator 0°. However, I wouldn't want to lug that around in summer. It's way too warm. That's why I have a 20° Incubator as well. If I only could have one underquilt to do it all, I would order an EE Revolt Elite 10° full-length. According to the specs, it's only a hair heavier than the 20° Incubator. But lots more expensive

If you go hiking in all seasons, it would really be a good idea to invest in two underquilts; 0° for winter and 20° for everything else. If you only go hiking in winter once or twice, I would go with a 20° uq and add a hammock sock and pad when it's really cold. You say you don't mind carrying more, but I find that any ounce less makes hiking more enjoyable. I certainly wouldn't want to carry 4-5oz more but only need it 10% of the time.

BTW, any underquilt designed for a gathered end hammock will work for the WBBB, XLC or not.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopie
    Here is a picture of my newly acquired 0* incubator (LONG) on my BB XLC:

Last edited by Loren; 11-10-2014 at 09:18.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20F HG UQ, JRB Qlt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok. I only went to a 0F because they're not that much more, and more is always better, right?

But, if I'm honest with myself, the coldest I will experience is not likely to be lower than 20F. And, while I'm not afraid of pack weight, I do have a limited amount of space. The 0F just has larger/taller baffles, right?

I think what I'll do is stick with a 20F for size reasons, and purchase additional items if needed later, such as covers and top quilts. I can imagine there's an advantage to layering, such as being able to mix-n-match insulation items to fit the time of year and expected weather.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Layering certainly works, but of course the layers will always be heavier and more bulky than a dedicated piece of equipment. And yes, the 20° Incubator packs smaller than the 0° Incubator.

If you don't expect to go lower than 20°F, go with a 20°F underquilt and maybe add 1 or 2 oz overstuff to be on the safe side. But pretty much all underquilt makers overstuff their quilts to some degree already. I would definitely recommend getting a sock or an underquilt protector in addition. Both will boost the warmth you get from your underquilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    my perspective from hanging this past weekend at the big Texas hang. Saturday night the overnight low got to 37f. I had a 20 incubator and a 50burrow and I was hot. At some point i apparently was so hot i threw the TQ out of my XLC (I went topless in my XLC all weekend) and had to search on the ground for it when i later got a little chilly. I slept in a military silk weight base layer (top and bottoms) with a fleece cap on and a pair of clean boot socks.

So, a 0 incubator will definitely be all the UQ you will need if you plan on going down to 0, if you only plan to go down into the 20s or teens, i would get a 20. Add in a good top layer and you will be good to go.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    YMMV always. I have both a 20 degree and a 0 degree standard Incubators. I very much like the 0 degree for anything around 35 degrees or less but then it is either packed in moto paniers or a car. Probably a 20 degree Incubator with a 2QZQ UQP is the way I would go if it was on my back.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20F HG UQ, JRB Qlt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the feedback.

20F Incubator (long) with 2oz overfill has been ordered.

I'm excited to have good equipment that will allow me to leave the sleeping bag at home (and outside of my hammock). For most of my excursions, I'm hoping a poncho liner will be sufficient. A top quilt is certainly in my future, but not any time soon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopie
    The 0 unfortunately doesn't seem like it will compress down much smaller and the stuff sack is fairly big. A compression sack will probably get it smaller but if size is an issue 20 is probably a better bet.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20F HG UQ, JRB Qlt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Loren,

Thanks for the information - coming from real-world hands-on experience.

And thanks for posting that picture. That's a beautiful camo underquilt.

• + New Posts