SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Keeping Warm

I was hoping to go to the KC Area Hang at Indian Cave in a couple of weeks but the weather is looking to turn frigid. So i am on the fence about going now.
    I have not hung in anything lower than about 40 and it has been a lot of years since I have camped below freezing.

I am not a a cold or hot sleeper.

So here is what i'm thinking for getting to the teens.

Hammock is a DD Frontline / Tarp is WB Super Fly

Bottom Insulation
    DD Underblanket + Poncho Liner
    + pad?

I have yet to get a TQ so will have to take:
    my cheap Coleman 20 degree (Ha!) Brazos sleeping bag (which is good in my skivvies in the hammock with a PLUQ to about 45) + WalMart Fleece SB liner

Wear synthetic long underwear and if needed add a fleece pants and top. + smartwool sox and a wool cap

I have no clue about hanging in such low temps and am getting a bit nervous - so any advise is appreciated!

Blue Skies!
    cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That's a lot of clothing that can be replaced by fewer pieces of warmer clothing if you are willing to make the investment. But if you aren't in to winter camping so much. I would be a shame to spend a lot of dollars on something you won't use often. Around here, the weather gets steadily colder but not in big jumps - except of an 11 degree night tomorrow. I sleep outside so I can see how well my 20 degree TQ and UQ and sock are working. So far I've been toasty warm but with the night time temps in mid to high 20's. But I am also in a fairly sheltered spot - out of direct wind.

If there is any way you can try out your gear - near home so you can bail out and go inside if necessary - before the trip I really recommend you do so. All those temp ratings - and there are several ways of rating - are "suggestions" as each person is different. I can tell my 20 degree gear is warmer than my 40 degree gear. But my night time experience, not the thermometer, will tell me when it is time for warmer pajamas or quilt.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yep suppose to get a bit cold here this weekend (lo 27 friday & Saturday nites) so looks like I'll be sleeping in the backyard this weekend experimenting and tweaking.!
    In another thread someone said the DD Underblanket took them down to 24F so that is promising and I will start with just that for the underside and my SB for a TQ.
    Last edited by campcrafter; 11-10-2014 at 15:27. Reason: correct crazy typing!
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    One cheap, easy way to keep a little warmer is with a fleece cover. The thin fleece is very cheap at WMT, but the better grade, heavier fleece from a fabric store like Joann's is much better/warmer for cold temps. One length of 3 to 4 yards will cover your hammock when draped over the ridge line. You can use a couple of clothes pins to hold it in place. Add a couple of more on the ends to seal it up a bit. For ventilation, you can cut a slice right over your head that can be opened or closed. Total cost of the better fleece will run about $6.00/yd for a 60" width.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ah that would hang well on the DD FL's bugnet. I have a light wool throw blanket that might just be the ticket.
    thanks SM
    Campcrafter

- John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've taken a pad down to 22 degrees and was comfy (although the condensation was extremely annoying, I was warm). A wool blanket over the ridgeline definitely keeps some heat in - my face is easily damaged by cold weather so I often use that when car camping.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    1. Hot water bottle
    2. Eat way more than you usually do before going to sleep so your body has plenty of calories to keep you warm.

Take a Nalgene water bottle with you, a large wool or fleece sock and a pot to heat hot water in the fire. About 30 minutes before you go to sleep, fill the Nalgene with boiling water and close the lid tight. Put bottle in your sock and put in hammock under blanket. It will heat your hammock and make it warmer when you get in. Then when you get into the hammock, put it between your legand you will have your own little furnace to keep you warm. My hot water bottle usually lasts for about 6 hours and then you will have water in the morning that's not frozen.

I've used this method many times to help stay warm in cold temps. Test it at home first to make sure your lid holds tight. Put it in bed with you and you will see how great it works.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Was getting ready to post a similar thread so glad to see this here already.

I'm going to be camping this weekend and the temps in the N. Georgia mountains are expected to drop down to the mid-twenties on Friday. I've never gone below 40 in my gear, so I'm looking forward (nervously) to trying some of these techniques. Unfortunately, the temps here in Atlanta aren't getting anywhere close to freezing, so I'll be going in cold (so to speak!)

My normal sub-50 setup is a PLUQ and a generic 0°F Wallyworld mummy bag, so I'm expecting to need some extra help. Definitely going with the nalgene trick and am also going to try pulling a second rectangular bag over me, peapod-style. Thanks for the info on the fleece trick -- that looks like a good thing to try!

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    The fleece cover idea makes good sense. I tried out the top cover on my WBB this weekend hanging in the backyard. Temp last night was 35. I had tarp in porch mode. Noticed a big difference between an earlier night spent with same insulation, same tarp setup but with the mosquito netting. Even though the top cover is one layer of nylon, it provided some breeze protection and held a bit of heat in. I kept the side opened partially to allow some air movement and reduce moisture buildup. Think the idea of an opening overhead is a good one.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I just got a Hammeck Envy which has a top cover. Same concept. I am looking forward to colder weather. Good luck with your backyard testing.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast