Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images

Speed Hooks vs Whoopie Hooks

I give a quick demo of how the Speed Hooks are used.

I also loved the idea of the Speed Hooks but I was sad about not being able to use my Whoopie Hooks anymore. So I found a new way to make them useful!

Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    While I applaud the out of the box thinking, I don't think I understand the impetus...

If you've already got whoopie hooks, and they're a perfectly viable option for you, then there's no need to change. If someone is interested in switching to the new speed hooks, then they are in essence no longer in need of the whoopie hooks. The normal way of using the whoopie hooks is perfectly sound - why find a new way to use them, especially when they are no longer needed anyway due to having replaced them with a different suspension method altogether?

Either way you're still dealing with similar components - a continuos loop on the hammock, and some sort of line larks headed to a tree hugger, terminating in a titanium connector that attaches to the hammock loop.

Like I said - inventive thinking, but you've essentially created a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Like I said - inventive thinking, but you've essentially created a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
    Did you even watch the video?

I created a solution to a problem for people who already own whoopie hooks but want to reduce the bulk of the whoopie slings, by converting then to leads, without investing in new hardware. I'd say that is an existent problem. I should know, because I owned hardware already but wanted to shave the weight and bulk of whoops slings.

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So using the whoopie hook as a marlin spike hitch, what do you gain? How do you attach the hammock continuous loop to the loop thing you've invented? Am I supposed to add another whoopie hook to the one that is on the MSH, or should I use a carabiner or soft shackle? I just don't get how this repurposing of whoopie hooks does anything more useful than using the whoopie hook as it's meant to be used.

And yes, I watched the video.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    So using the whoopie hook as a marlin spike hitch, what do you gain? How do you attach the hammock continuous loop to the loop thing you've invented? Am I supposed to add another whoopie hook to the one that is on the MSH, or should I use a carabiner or soft shackle? I just don't get how this repurposing of whoopie hooks does anything useful.
    You wouldn't. You're the resident contrarian.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    You wouldn't. You're the resident contrarian.
    I wouldn't, because you can't sufficiently explain what problem you've solved or what your repurposing has actually done. So the original question stands: the loop you've created by using the whoopie hook as an MSH - how is it supposed to attach to the continuous loop on the hammock?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Did you even watch the video?

I created a solution to a problem for people who already own whoopie hooks but want to reduce the bulk of the whoopie slings, by converting then to leads, without investing in new hardware. I'd say that is an existent problem. I should know, because I owned hardware already but wanted to shave the weight and bulk of whoops slings.
    I see what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be overtly argumentative - just trying to understand what need this addresses.

The weight savings of using the speed hooks over the whoopie hooks is in my mind ancillary - at 1.3g per foot, cutting your amsteel use in half really doesn't produce any meaningful savings. So the benefit to switch to speed hooks would be two fold:

1.) trying out the new fun trend in suspension
    2.) allowing you to hang closer to the tree than you can with a whoopie sling

With a standard whoopie sling and whoopie hook, you can extend your hang out to 6 or so feet, but the closest you can shorten it would be limited by the length of the 2 buries - the fixed eye bury and the constrictor bury for the whoopie - so 16" or so. By using the speed hooks, you can still get to the maximum 6 foot span, but can get as close as simply the fixed eye bury, or 6-8 inches.

With your method, yes you save the few grams by not having the doubled amsteel line of the whoopie - but you're still limited by the minimum length. and in this case, it would likely be a minimum of half the distance of your leader line. So to have a leader line that allows a 6 foot maximum span, you'd only be able to get as close as half that, or 3 feet.

So you save 8 or 9 grams, but lengthen your minimum distance from 16" to 36". I don't see that as a functional trade off. Why not just continue to use the whoopie hook as previously used?

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I wouldn't, because you can't sufficiently explain what problem you've solved or what your repurposing has actually done. So the original question stands: the loop you've created by using the whoopie hook as an MSH - how is it supposed to attach to the continuous loop on the hammock?
    Gotta be honest here, I left that out of the video because I thought it would have been apparent. Clearly I've misjudged.

You'd run the hook through the CL and back up the line to make the adjustment.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I see what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be overtly argumentative - just trying to understand what need this addresses.

The weight savings of using the speed hooks over the whoopie hooks is in my mind ancillary - at 1.3g per foot, cutting your amsteel use in half really doesn't produce any meaningful savings. So the benefit to switch to speed hooks would be two fold:

1.) trying out the new fun trend in suspension
    2.) allowing you to hang closer to the tree than you can with a whoopie sling

With a standard whoopie sling and whoopie hook, you can extend your hang out to 6 or so feet, but the closest you can shorten it would be limited by the length of the 2 buries - the fixed eye bury and the constrictor bury for the whoopie - so 16" or so. By using the speed hooks, you can still get to the maximum 6 foot span, but can get as close as simply the fixed eye bury, or 6-8 inches.

With your method, yes you save the few grams by not having the doubled amsteel line of the whoopie - but you're still limited by the minimum length. and in this case, it would likely be a minimum of half the distance of your leader line. So to have a leader line that allows a 6 foot maximum span, you'd only be able to get as close as half that, or 3 feet.

So you save 8 or 9 grams, but lengthen your minimum distance from 16" to 36". I don't see that as a functional trade off. Why not just continue to use the whoopie hook as previously used?
    I do see what you've demonstrated as a good alternative if your whoopie sling ever fails you, however. Knowing that if the adjustable part of your sling broke, and that by attaching the amsteel back to the hook in the field, you could then use the hook as a toggle and still have some adjustability is good info.

I'm just unclear why you would want to purposely switch to this method over the traditional use of the whoopie hook, is all.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Gotta be honest here, I left that out of the video because I thought it would have been apparent. Clearly I've misjudged.

You'd run the hook through the CL and back up the line to make the adjustment.
    I definitely didn't get that part, but thanks for explaining. Now I understand what you're trying to do. I have some concern about how the whoopie hook would compress the Amsteel on the MSH. One of the reasons I went to Dutch's whoopie hook suspension is so that I didn't have to deal with an MSH and toggle. It seems like a step back in simplicity and usability, though I can see that you are saving some grams by reducing the amount of Amsteel used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast