SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch

add 10-15 degrees without a padb

I have a KAQ new river uq that is awesome and got me close to 30 this past weekend but I was pushing its limits... Without getting another quilt what is the lightest and most cost effective way to add 10 or so degrees without using a pad? Maybe a layer of fleece between quilt and hammock (buy material and cut to fit)? Issue was mostly CBS...

I'd also prefer to avoid a vapor barrier as Iuse a down bag on top for now and want to avoid excess moisture.

Images
    Before I finely saved up and bought true winter quilts I was using a set of 20 quilts all winter in Colorado by adding a breathable under quilt protector and sleeping in a down coat and insulated over pants.
    Tarp placement was very important to block the prevailing winds.

2012 Kenosha Pass 10,000ft 5F

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    UQP combined with a top cover = poor man's sock/pod. Nylon will block the wind and may give you +5F.
    Or, go to 'Just Jeff's Hammock' web site and under 'Homemade Gear' he has directions to make a Sock or Travel Pod.
    I made the V2 sock out of tyvek (no-sew, just tyvek tape) that works great - +15 F easy and ii used it a lot. This winter I will make another out of a polypro car cover. Jeff has the ideas; you pick the material you want to work with.
    My 'Soft Tyvek' sock is 8.5 oz (Neck down), UQP is 6.5 oz. I don't know about the top cover - maybe 4 oz.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-11-2014 at 13:43.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    You had CBS with an UQ? I thought the entire point of the UQ was to cure CBS? Am I missing something here or was it just not rated warm enough for the temps you were camping in? I'm curious as I'm looking at ordering a pair of UQ's for the Vertex this week.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    CBS with an UQ is usually because the UQ is hung too loose - thus sags below your butt.
    Or if your hammock is hung too tight - thus you don't sag down into the UQ.
    So Cold Butt with an UQ = something isn't right that is causing an air gap between you and the UQ.
    I've had my Jarbrige 3/4 synthetic UQ to 28F and had VWB (very warm butt) with an UQP to keep the breeze from robing the heat.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    You had CBS with an UQ? I thought the entire point of the UQ was to cure CBS? Am I missing something here or was it just not rated warm enough for the temps you were camping in? I'm curious as I'm looking at ordering a pair of UQ's for the Vertex this week.
    I had cbs with an UQ that had 16oz of 800fill down in it. Reason wasnt due to lack of insulation though. Just didn't have it pulled up tight enough to make solid contact with lower region.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch
    The New River I have is rated to 30 so I was pushing the limits - but since this was only my second hang I will work on the fit as well since I admit I'm still trying to dial in the right adjustments. I was in a Simply Light Trail Lair so it had a structural ridge line - sag was comfy and consistent in this case so perhaps this situation was user error on my part!

The first time out I thought I had it too tight as it kept wanting to "pop" off my shoulders due to the shock cord. So I didn't set it up as tight this time ... may have been a gap. The New River has other tie outs I may try to use to keep it more centered - there is some feel to this no question. Is there any risk of it being too tight and compressing the insulation? Wouldn't think so with shock cord but just curious - ideally it seems like you want it snug with no gaps but not too snug...

Anyway - I'd like to drop into the 20s with it (below that and I may be back on the ground...) so a small boost would still be helpful and versatile - as of now I only have the New River.

Images
    kept wanting to "pop" off my shoulders
    A big mistake many new to UQ do is over tighten the end shockcords that are designed to help seal the ends of the UQ.
    Over tightening these will also create a gap between you and the UQ.
    The first clue the head end of an UQ is too tight is it will pop off your shoulder.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I use Dutch Hooks one my ridgeline to snug up my New River. I run shock cord from one tab to the opposite tab on the quilt, through the eye of the Dutch Hook (which is hooked to my ridge line) to tighten the quilt in the middle and at the foot (where I have the most sag).

I have one at the two tabs on the foot end and the other runs from my left shoulder tab to the center tab. This keeps the quilt on my shoulder; despite what Outandback says I can't keep an underquilt on my shoulder, loose or tight.

Works great!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I use Dutch Hooks one my ridgeline to snug up my New River. I run shock cord from one tab to the opposite tab on the quilt, through the eye of the Dutch Hook (which is hooked to my ridge line) to tighten the quilt in the middle and at the foot (where I have the most sag).

I have one at the two tabs on the foot end and the other runs from my left shoulder tab to the center tab. This keeps the quilt on my shoulder; despite what Outandback says I can't keep an underquilt on my shoulder, loose or tight.

Works great!
    I didn't say it was the only reason an UQ will not stay on your shoulder.

I have another trick that might help.
    If you just loop the UQ's suspension shockcord over the ends of your hammock when you start getting diagnal it will creat unequal tension in the shockcords.
    The shoulder and foot end shockcords will be much tighter trying to pull the UQ off your shoulder and sometimes your feet.

If you use an S biner to connect your UQ's suspension shockcords at each end when you get diaginal in your hammock the shockcord will slide in the s biner
    equalizing the tension. This should help the UQ track your movements in the hammock.

This picture is too big to post but you can see a blue s-biner connected as I've suggested.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8472/...ed138476_o.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast