Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Hi Ratdog,
    If you are designing a new semi permanent tarp for another winter retreat I would look into the PU coated materials although heavier they are much stronger and stretch less.
    I'm just not sold on this sylargon yet for a tarp. This whole super stretch in one direction only has me scratching my head as to how to keep it tight.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I think I actually like to profile provided by external poles over the internal poles myself.

I finally took everything down today. The tarp was up for 10 days, 7 or 8 of which were with the external poles. Here is a back lit picture of the side pull outs. You can see some small holes, but I'm pretty sure they are the same as before it was hung the first time.
    2014-11-18 13.08.28.jpg

I think I'll just lean to deal with the stretch until I make something else, the weight also makes it easier to forgive. I don't think I have any desire to use it without pole mods, which I guess sort of throughs the weight savings out the window. After rain, snow and wind in the same week, I really don't have any major concerns about durability of the fabric.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Durability was never my concern. The stretch is quite manageable IMHO but I'm thinking about trying out some silPoly.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Every time I think I finally have all the stretch out something new comes along and adds some more to it. I've now had it hanging continuously in the back yard for 8 day, I think I'll take it down tomorrow. Saturday night we got about 1.5" of light fluffy snow. This picture was from when I went to bed, I'm guessing we got about an inch after this. In the process of getting in my hammock all of this got knocked off. As you can see though, there is a bit of slack in all the panels. The rest of the snow we got actually self shed before I got up in the morning from the wind picking up a little. When I take it down I will take a good look and see how those side pull outs are holding up.
    Attachment 97256
    Wow, I had no idea the fabric would stretch that much, wow. I am glad I went with a somewhat short tarp. I wonder what mine will do under load?

The past few days, since the fire next door, I have been sleeping out, but using one of my commercially made tarps. I guess I am afraid of something happening to my diy gear, sleeping in my own back yard is just creepy on so many levels. A bit funny because I am very comfortable when on an adventure, not skittery at all, my own yard I get creepy feelings. Maybe I am afraid a opossum is going to bite my butt? or the rats from the church are going to get under my feet when I get up during the night? Urban Hanging is not for me, I guess.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Ratdog,
    If you are designing a new semi permanent tarp for another winter retreat I would look into the PU coated materials although heavier they are much stronger and stretch less.
    I'm just not sold on this sylargon yet for a tarp. This whole super stretch in one direction only has me scratching my head as to how to keep it tight.
    I think PU might be my best option for winter car camping just because I suspect there will be a little more abuse when using the winter tarp setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Durability was never my concern. The stretch is quite manageable IMHO but I'm thinking about trying out some silPoly.
    Agreed, I'm not sweating the stretch for general use and you have got to love how small this stuff packs down. It's not CF, but it sure is nice and compact.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234