Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best ENO alternative for casual hammocking?

So...I am a hammock hiker but seldom use a my Blackbird unless I am camping. I have a friend who wants to get hammock foe the occasion hang by the beach and with friends. She may take it camping on occasion but it would be camping out of a vehicle rather than on the trails. She was going to get an ENO but I suggested otherwise.

What would you suggest for this use; small enough to throw in backpack at school, fairly rugged, EASY suspension (I hate the ENO type. Thanks so much!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I just received a DutchWare PolyD 11" Hammock and a set of speed hooks. Considering the ease of set-up, reasonable cost and comfort I can't imagine a better set-up for a beginner, a loaner or a back-up.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Perfect! That's what I'm gonna tell her...and then I'm gonna get one for myself. My ear bonnet has the Dutch clips and it's awesome!

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 11' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I agree with nutty. I tried a Dutch PolyD last weekend at a hang. I think I may be purchasing one for myself very soon. It is very pack able, affordable, and light weight.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You could also look for a Yukon Double on woot.com. they come up fairly regularly for aboit $20. I've got one and it's a great casual hammock. It's currently my indoor set up.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon
    Mt best alternative is ticket to the moon hammock, similar to ENO, but cheaper and customizable in size/color/options...

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    I 4th a Dutch hammock. A 11 foot hammock vs the normal 9 1/2 foot ones would be far more comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would recommend BIAS or SLD for more fabric choices. I haven't bought Dutch's ready-made hammocks, but I have built my own hammocks from 1.6oz Argon and 1.4oz PolyD. I really like the feel of the Argon, but it is too stretchy for me to be comfortable very long. If Dutch ever sells a 1.9oz Argon, I would probably be all over it. The PolyD is a matter of taste. It's *very* slick and produces a lot of static electricity. Nylon feels better in my opinion. I love the feel of HyperD - but I think the only hammock makers who offer HyperD are Hammeck and DreamHammock.

If you want a simple beginner hammock that is affordable and comes with a great suspension, check out the Warbonnet Traveler hammocks. Order the webbing suspension - you won't find a simpler and more versatile suspension.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hammock makes a Breeze model that is light weight and does the job - several color choices. But consider this - a hammock for casual lounging on the trail has not nearly the requirements of one that will be your camping shelter. My very first start was some cheapie wood dowel and nylon string model I bought at a "Dollar Store" quality place. It was a narrow bridge hammock, light weight, NOT rugged, but it supported up to 200 lbs okay. The nice thing was, I could see over the sides. And if I wasn't in it, I could put my back pack or jacket in it and not worry about body material like rip stop. I could also convince my housemate to try it and though she always claims skepticism, she'd usually be asleep after 7 minutes of gentle rocking. Then, on a kayak trip, I meet someone who actually slept in a hammock - over night! I got an HH and now, eight or so hammocks from six vendors later, I'm an "advocate".

My point is, don't disregard something inexpensive and simple. If I had initially put my housemate in a "camping" hammock where the sides shield her view of the surroundings, I'm not sure she would have continued down the path I was leading her - then again, that would have been way cheaper.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast