WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

In the market for a new thread injector - need suggestions!

Sooo... I only started venturing into DIY this spring. I had an old machine that had been sitting in the corner unused for years. But the problems started right away: the machine was totally gummed and refused to move. I brought it to a local repair shop which serviced it. However, after only a couple of days, it jammed again. I brought it back to the repair shop and they seemed to have solved that issue. But only some months later I had problems, again. This time, the thread jammed up, and the machine left out stitches. I brought it to a different repair shop, and was told that the machine would need to be completely readjusted. The guy didn't recommend it. He said that my machine was a cheap no-name product, and I would continue to have problems with it. He said I would be better off buying a new machine, which would work much more precise. I was not prepared for buying a new machine, so I didn't have my fabrics with me and also had no idea what to look for. However, I decided to buy a new machine because I'm fed up with constantly fighting against my old machine. All the seams were always slightly crumpled, no matter how I adjusted the thread tension, and I had to do seams 2-3 times before I got a somewhat satisfactory result.

The question now is: which machine should I buy? I'm not planning to open a sewing shop - at the moment I'm only interested in making my own outdoor gear - you all know what that entails. However, it would be great if the machine would be capable to sew jersey fabric as well.

With that in mind, can you recommend new thread injector models that would work? Obviously, the less I spend on a new machine, the more I have left for buying fabrics etc. But I'd rather spend more now and be done for the next 10 years than having to buy another machine in 1 year. The machines that were suggested to me were between 300 and 400 EUR (370-500 USD). I would be willing to spend more if there are good reasons.

So please post suggestions!

... Of course I will go to a big shop and take some fabrics for testing - but I'd like to have some background info first. In my experience, salespeople will try to sell what they have, which is not necessarily the best choice for the buyer...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Not knowing the market in Germany or what is available I can't be much help in terms of used machines. Although my "Guidelines" in my sig still apply.
    In terms of new machines, two thoughts come to mind. You want a good dealer. Now that can mean a lot of things. The first place that fixed the machine did what they could. Now whether it was because of the quality of the machine or the quality of work it didn't take. Either is possible. Cheap machines are cheap machines and do not last. They did not try to sell you a new machine. You put the problem down to the poor sevice on the part of the repair shop. You might want to revisit that idea.
    What bothers me about the second shop is a need for a "complete readjustment" is not justification in my mind for pushing a new machine. It could be that dealer smelled a possible sale and decided to go for it. Not always a bad thing. But a little suspect in my mind. So you are on the horns of a dilemma. Which shop to trust. The price range quoted to you should buy you a decent machine. Rather than brand I would focus on the service of the shop. Ask around and see what people think of these two shops. You want a shop that knows their stuff and is honest. All top brands are about the same except for the bells and whistles, whichyou are not looking for. So focus on the shop you have confidence in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks; I don't think the advice to buy a new machine was a bad one. My old machine was bought from a big mail order service. The brand is a home brand (Elastiknaht). I fully believe that the machine is not a quality machine, since it apparently didn't cost much new (under $200). The second guy offered to repair it; he only said that in his opinion it would not be worth it. Apparently the "grabber" is out of sync (that's why the thread jams and some stitches are left out), but it doesn't end with readjusting this one part. All the other parts need to be synced to the grabber. My mother used to have a small shop where she also sold embroidery machines. This guy used to do the repairs and seemed to do a good job. Of course it's better for him to sell a new machine - but I would trust his judgement in this case. Plus I'm tired of always having to fix things - I want to get on with my projects.

I don't think the other repair man wasn't too bad either, but his specialty are Bernina machines. He seems to be semi-retired, too; the reason I went to him first was because his shop is in my town. All the other shops are 45 minutes and more away by car.

I definitely want a well-known brand, because it's easier to shop for parts (as a beginner). I believe the major brands in Germany are the same as in the US. The shop I will go to in the next days sells Bernette, Bernina, Brother, Husqvarna Viking, Janome, Pfaff, Singer and Toyota. They have more brands for embroidery machines - but I don't need that feature. So if you have had good luck with a specific brand or model, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As you have previous experience with the shop go for it. Sounds like a good choice. The brands which you listed are all good quality machines. Plan to spend some time looking at the various options. I would not recommend on _brand_ over another simply because I am not brand oriented. Other folks will no doubt step in and fill that deficiency in my approach.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    To clarify, the shop I'm going to for testing some machines is unknown to me. They are simply the only big shop near and far. I'm hoping that with that selection, they have experience and are not focused to selling one specific brand or model. The other shop which supplied my mother is closing down for good by the end of the year. They only have very few machines left - that's why I'm hesitant to jump on the offer. He recommended the Brother Innov Is 15 and also showed me two Elnas that supposedly fit the bill. The Brother seemed to be the best one of the selection - but I didn't have the fabrics (silnylon, thin ripstop, webbing etc.) to test it.

I'm not looking for a brand recommendation - I know that this is a personal thing. But if somebody has been sewing hammocks and tarps with a specific model, and the machine did it well, this would be valuable information for me. As would be information on models that weren't up to the task. This might help me make a good decision. The shop I don't know, yet, also sells used machines. I'm open to buying used, but only from a shop with a warranty. I know too little to find a truly good deal in the local newspaper ads or on eBay.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't have a lot to add, but I would expect any of the brands in the price range you're looking at to easily do a good job on tarps, quilts, hammocks and 1500 lb webbing.

I would let the salesperson know that I put the build quality of the basic machine as being much more important than 100's of fancy decorative stitches that I would never use. Taking fabric with you is an excellent idea.

Take advantage of any training they may offer with a new machine. Basic machine setup for the fabric to be sewn and maintenance (thoroughly cleaning the correct areas and oil) can go a long way in having an enjoyable and trouble free experience.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Anyone ever used one of these? Wal-Mart has it on sale for $179 right now...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Her...chine/26376267
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have a Pfaff select 3.0 and it is an ok machine but would most likely not be my choice today.
    Two layers of webbing no problem. If sowing many layers in the form of hems together not so good.
    My guess is not many household machines can handle very thick layers and then you have to look for a industrial model but it’s a different price range even for a used machine.
    Before you decide take a moment and think, what are you going to use it for?
    Some brands offers a lot of extra pressure feet hem tools and what not others not so much.
    I won’t recommend you buy a unknown brand because then you are likely not be able to get extra tools.
    Some machines has two holes to the right of the foot for attachment of tools. Something to consider. (otherwise make your own, see my pictures).
    For thin materials I would recommend a machine where you can change the stitch plate. Most are born with a universal plate so you can zik zak. Nothing wrong with that but the wide needle slot is a fabric trap! For some machines you can get another plate with just one small hole for the needle. The downside is you have to change it if you want to adjust the needle sideways or zik zak. Otherwise it will cost you a needle if you forget
    Also consider what kind of stitches you need. No need to pay for something you won’t ever need.
    I chose my machine because it has an extra leg for transporting the fabric on the top side. It was recommended at the time in some kite forums. However my local machine pusher says it is not necessary today with electronic machines.
    Take some scarp material in your pocket when you go looking and for testing. Many get surprised when they see and feel Ripstop nylon.
    If you are thinking about making backpacks you have to think about the pressure foot lifting height! You may want to add and sow in foam and most machines will have a hard time handling that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    What is the vintage machine market like over there? I've never spent over $35.00 (Canadian) on any of my vintage machines and they all work very well and will likely last a very long time if properly maintained.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    PolyD 11'
    Tarp
    WB SupFly
    Insulation
    Incub20/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I saw this advertised on Woot.com today: http://home.woot.com/offers/singer-s...ref=cnt_dly_tl. I haven't read any reviews, but Singer usually makes quality machines.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast