Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Quilt Foot Box Experiences

With all of the great sales, I"m contemplating a new top quilt. Expected lowest temperatures in the 25-30F range. I use a partial under quilt with a supplemental pad. Lowest I have slept so far is the 32 F range. I used a 30 degree top quilt and my Greylock 3 and was extremely warm.
    Would like your experiences/recommendations with respect to:
    1. Would it be better to get a standard 0 or 20 degree with overstuff for the 25-30 F range? I'm a fairly cold sleeper, but at 32F I was extremely comfortable with the Greylock underquilt and the 30 TQ.
    2. With the partial underquilt and pad, would I be better suited to order q topquilt with the sewn footbox for these temperature ranges.
    TNX.

Images
    My summer TQ has a string with cord lock and love how I can vent the footbox.
    My 20F TQ has a sewn footbox(no air leaks or drafts) and I prefer that since I mostly use it when temps hit <32F

I will be watching with interest. I have nearly made up my mind on what I want for a Top Quilt with the upcoming sales too but have yet to decide on grabbing a sewn foot box or a snap drawstring/zipper drawstring option.

My summer Stealth from JRB has the omni tape and snaps and I love that. Just thinking that for less than 30F the sewn might be the way to go.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    All my topquilts have sewn footboxes. If I want to vent, I'll pull my feet out of the footbox. The drawstring, omnitape, zipper or snap closures seemed more like features designed for making quilts ground-dweller compatible (and I'm not going back to the ground).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    My summer Stealth from JRB has the omni tape and snaps and I love that. Just thinking that for less than 30F the sewn might be the way to go.
    I agree. As a year round hanger I am always pushing my quilts past their rating. A sewn foot box is the warmest IMO.

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a 20* burrow with closed footbox and it is WAYYYYY to hot for me in temps in the 40's or above. I have to use a fleece blanket instead so I don't sweat all night. The top quilt ratings are a little bit more finnicky than UQ ratings IMO. If you plan on getting in the single digit temps, go with the 0 degeree, if you are only going to be in the teens, get the 20 degree but be prepared to add some hot nalgenes to the equation or some good socks and the 20 should keep you warm all night.

The 0deg might get way to hot for you in mid to high 20 deg temps.

As far as I'm concerned, fleece blankets are cheap and can keep you warm enough in weather that is 40 or above.

For the colder nights, I like the option of the closed foot box. If my feet get to hot then I just take them out and vent and I'm still covered head to toe. When it gets real cold I put my feet back in the foot box.

If you plan on being in weather colder than 30 I suggest the closed foot box. You'll want every bit of heat you can trap.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for this post. I think it helps me in my decision making.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I use a partial quilt and like having the foot box as it keeps the pad in place for my feet.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I have both snapped and sewn foot box top quilts... while the above posts seem logical about sewn being warmer in the winter, I have not been able to perceive any temperature difference between the two. Properly cinched and snapped, I'm not convinced there is any measurable improvement in the sewn footbox - and the snapped footbox gives you some additional adaptability if you want your TQ to truly lay flat like a quilt for other usages. Just my perspective...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast