HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc

Recycled Down

So wasn't sure if this would be the correct location for this post, Mod's move it as you see fit.

Was looking at the down comforter that has been on my bed for ~10 years baffles are crap, and down all pools in the foot. We hardly even use it any longer, is it worth recycling the down?

What about waterproofing the down?

Has anyone tried this before?
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    First wash the quilt, cool water, I use a commercial front loader. I want lots of water to circulate, minimum soap, down wash is good. Then carefully open a tiny corner and see what the down looks like. If you feel very many feathers it is not worth your $ to dry it. A lot of the down in quilts is not very good quality, lots of pokey feathers. It seems the original cost of the down quilt is not always an indicator of quality. Although inexpensive down quilts tend to have a very high feather count. Expensive bed quilts sometimes simulate through some tricks that they are full of nice down, when they are not. If you are not picky, just wash the quilt dry it on a low temp, barely warm. Put some big towels and tennis balls or clean tennis shoes in with the quilt to thump around the down. This is a long project, the quilt/down must be totally dry, NO DAMP CLUMPS. Do not use fabric softener either. Quality sleeping bags, clothing are frequently excellent finds for quality down. After a while you will be able to tell the good stuff by a quick feel.

I reuse down from time to time, it is becoming difficult to find down to repurpose.

I am sure other members will be able to give you information on the new process of making the down moisture resistive. I decided not to use down that has that extra treatment. For me and my use, I feel the down has already been through a lot of processes to get it suitable for our use. However, I have a lot of allergies, so I try to keep things that come in contact with my body as natural as possible. However there is a limit, down needs some treatment to be used the way most of us enjoy it.

If you are not already aware of the fact---Down, when it escapes is a bear, it expands and goes everywhere. Breathing the stuff could cause some problems, especially if you have babies or small children in the house. Down gets in everything, every corner and crevice if it escapes.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    Ironfish, thanks so much for the info I just knew there was someone who would be able to answer me.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts