Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Exclamation Dangerbird hang issue: far apart trees (or user error. lol)

So I tried to hang my Dangerbird out in my backyard the other day. I've never had any issue getting it to lay right, ever. I had even hung between these same two points before. So I'm at a loss for what I did? Checking to see if you guys might have some idea?

So details: 6' tree straps. Standard whoopies that came with the hammock from DH. Dangerbird. 10'.

I'm hanging between a tree that is about 22-25 ft. (estimated) from my back porch. Actually tying from the tree to the corner of the porch.

It's a bit wide, so I try to get the straps up as high as I can reach. For whatever reason, this time, when I would lay in the hammock there seemed to be a line of fabric thought he middle of the hammock that had more tension on it than any other part. So much so that I could rest my head on it, and my feet had to be on one side or the other of this raised line of tensioned fabric. I was still able to lay somewhat flat, I just couldn't adjust in any way to where ridge, whatever it was, wasn't annoying me.

It was in fact dark outside. And cold. So I didn't take the time to troubleshoot it all out.

I find that the ridgeline is tight on the Dream regardless of the hang angle, so not able to use that as a guide as much as I've read you can in other hammocks.

It's bugging me because I have in fact hung between these same two points comfortably without this issue whatsoever.

Did I just not hang it high enough for the distance between the two tie-off points? Or did I maybe just tighten it up too much?

Thanks!

Images
    22-25' between tie points OH my. You would probably need a step ladder to hit the recommended 30 degree hang angle.

I never use a calculator to determine my hammock angle but I look at the RL when nothing is in the hammock.
    When it looks like this. (see pict) I get a perfect lay everytime.

If your hammock RL is guitar string tight before you hang your UQ on it thats your problem. Good luck.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 11-16-2014 at 11:37.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I think you tightened it up too much. My Hennessy (structure RL) will do that if hung too tight - and I notice it more when trees are further apart. Even a gathered end hammock without a RL will do this if hung too tight.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Yep, sounds like it's hung too flat. I'd move the straps up higher and I'd bet the nice lay comes back.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Yep, sounds like it's hung too flat. I'd move the straps up higher and I'd bet the nice lay comes back.
    Not sure I understand how this is possible..... If there is a structural ridgeline, then no matter how "flat" the suspension is, the hammock is still going to have the same sag. Unless the ridgeline is too long, which defeats the purpose of the 'stuctural' part of it.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Not sure I understand how this is possible..... If there is a structural ridgeline, then no matter how "flat" the suspension is, the hammock is still going to have the same sag. Unless the ridgeline is too long, which defeats the purpose of the 'stuctural' part of it.
    Nah. Makes sense that unless the ridgeline was made of steel it could be tensioned tight enough to cause an issue

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also have the same tightness in the middle of the hammock. I just thought it was normal

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    If one wanted to have a nicer lay with tighter suspension, would shortening the ridgeline a smidgen help?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I agree that a true structural ridgeline should have set the hang angle correctly. I'm the opposite of OutandBack; if my ridgeline has any slack the hammock's not hung right. It is possible for a structural ridgeline to get caught on the gathered end and effectively shortened, though I doubt that's what happened to you. Of course many hammock makers use a lighter ridgeline just to hold the bugnet up. They stretch, and the angle changes. A stronger ridgeline will prevent that, but hanging from supports more than 20' apart can put twice the strain on the suspension. It's seldom necessary to do that. If you raise your attachment points as Papa Smurf suggests, you should be fine. In the long run, I'd suggest moving that tree closer to the porch.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I'd suggest moving that tree closer to the porch.
    Lol. Let me get right on that. Haha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast