Is 10x10 Big Enough for a WBRR?

I'm thinking of upgrading from an ENO DN to a WBRR. I currently have a 10x10 tarp that totally engulfs my ENO DN, but I'm concerned that a 10x10 isn't going to cut it with the RR (both length and width). If I used a 10x10 would I just be asking to get wet?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    It could work but it will be extremely tight you might want to upgrade the tarp as well. I have an 11' superfly and that covers but it gets effected by the apex tie outs.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Thanks Nighthauk. If I had the $$$ I'd be all over the Superfly, but for now I'll be strapped just upgrading to the RR.

I always pitch in a standard rectangular A-frame. I wonder if I went diagonal it would help? Being from Southern California, I'm not so much worried about temps as I am precipitation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    The Ridgerunner is less than 7' long - a 10' ridge line on the tarp is plenty. The tarp doesn't need to cover the suspension components. Folks are commonly using tarps with 11' ridge lines to cover their much longer gathered end hammocks.
    Both the Cloudburst and the Superfly are 10' wide so your tarp is not at a disadvantage there, either.
    The issue with the Ridgerunner is the risk of contacting the tarp with the spreader poles. A higher tarp, a tarp spread flatter, using side pullouts, or a pole mod can take care of that.
    In fair weather I often use an 8x8 hung diagonally. It protects fine unless the rain is wind blown. Your 10x10, hung diagonally will give you good overage (14' ridge line) over hammock and suspension triangles as well.
    Last edited by Passinthru; 11-16-2014 at 18:15. Reason: added more wisdom :>)
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Thanks Passinthru. That gives me a lot more confidence if you're using a diagonal 8x8.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because your suspension lines from the hammock to the apex won't be covered, you way want to tie a drip line on them. Maybe they will drip at the spreader pole connection but that is a little too close to my down UQ for my comfort. One of Hammock vendors sells something that is like a 2 inch length of bicycle tubing with a spreader pole sized whole on one side. it is shrink tubing so it will tighten down with a little heat. It goes over the metal connector the spreader pole fits in. The hole lets the pole set in the connector but the opposite side is covered by the tubing so it is much more tarp friendly. As I was typing this I realized the same thing could be made, albeit a bit heavier, with the bicycle tubing I mentioned as an example.

I've never had to deal with a lot of rain coming in from the ends (the two suspension lines at each end would interfere with doors) but I do use a sock in addition to the tarp. My housemate doesn't use a sock - but she's never been in bad weather - I put a 2ZQZ undercover on her RR for some protection.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I use a 12' Noah's Tarp hung diagonally. It provides way more coverage than I need. I've often thought that a 10' tarp, hung diagonally, would be just right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Right now, Wilderness logics has a sale on their Old Man Winter. They have an 156" ridge line option for bridge hammocks. Brandon once emailed me that the usual spread, from apex to apex of the Ridge Runner was 13 ft. so that puts the ends of the 156" tarp right were the two lines come together so you can get the doors closed.

• + New Posts