Hammock
    Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

What if I said I don't like my Whoopie Slings???

So I have recently recruited a solid group of friends to become hammock campers. We all have ENO's, and they all use the Atlas Straps. I however have switched mine for some Nylon (I know. Wrong choice) Tree Huggers and Whoopie Slings. The problem is, the Atlas Straps are so dang easy to set up, and often I am the last one to get my hammock suspended. What can I do to make this faster?
    "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory"
    - Ed Viesturs

CHerring

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    I agree. I also feel like while whoopie slings work, the atlas straps are crazy fast to setup albeit for a slight weight penalty. HYOH.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    There's no reason to continue to use whoopies if you don't like them. I like them, but they aren't for everyone.

Perhaps try a set of speed hooks from Dutch. I got a couple pair, and love them. Really quick setup. A really good guy, too.

Perhaps try the whoopie slings a few more times? I can set them up really quickly, and appreciate the fine adjustment that you don't get with atlas straps. If you try them a few times more, and decide they're not for you, no big deal.

Part of the fun is trying new things to see what works best for you.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They are just an option...go with what your gut tells you. No harm, no foul.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really don't see how whoopie slings are any more complicated or time consuming to setup than Atlas straps.

On both of them you have to wrap a strap around a tree, and attach it to itself somehow (my whoopies are attached to one end of the tree strap so it's the same exact exact motion you would use with the Atlas straps - if you had something like Dutch clips it would be faster since you don't have to run the strap all the way through the loop, just clip it on in a split second).

Then on the Atlas straps you have to attach the carabiner to one of the loops on the atlas strap to get the hammock hung. On my whoopie setup I have Dutch hooks on the end which I simply slip over the continuous loop that's already on my hammock - so again a tie with the Atlas straps (with maybe a slight edge to the Dutch hook since you don't have to open up anything like on a spring-loaded carabiner to get it attached).

So right now, we're at pretty much a tie on both systems. BUT, it's when fine-tuning that I believe whoopie slings have the heads up. Is it easier to detach a spring-loaded carabiner from the Atlas straps, and move it up/down a couple of the loops on the Atlas straps, then re-attach to test another length? Or simply grab a rope and pull until the hammock is at the desired tension like you do with whoopies? Whoopies win hands down here for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I tried whoopies but went back to standard webbing suspension. You do what works for you.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Okay so here's another question. How far from the tree do y'all tie your Marlin Spike Hitch, if you use that? I find myself tying it further from the tree and wondering if tying it close and using Whoopies for main adjustment is better? I'm not using the MSH for adjusting, but use it as a guess to see how close to even I can get.
    "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory"
    - Ed Viesturs

CHerring

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I always put my MSH within 6 inches of the tree unless really far apart. I much prefer this as the whoopee seems to stay on the MSH better and I have more variability in the adjustment.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No worries!

I have found I would rather not use them in some situations where I know my campsite (having been there before) and in others where I may have to deal with greater distance between trees and hang in unfamiliar sites I make sure they are a part of my set up. They are what I use to make sure I have enough length, and help with a even hang distance between trees.

As you use them more you will get faster and more comfortable with their set up. You are likely dealing with a bit of a learning curve as they do encourage a bit of fiddle factor. HYOH.

I have continuous loops that I like as I can attach what I want to as far as many suspensions go. I use the MSH and carabiners and have never had an issue.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Like all things hammocks, there is no right way for everyone. There is only the right way for each of us individually. I have come to accept the fact that much of what I do/like is in the vocal minority here. Nothing wrong with that.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast