DH Dangerbird 11' 2 layer
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

My cold weather set up and test

Ok, I'm a newb and still pretty new to this plus I don't have much money so I call this my "redneck" winter set up. I'm currently using a Pak-It-Lite 4 season F.O.B. hammock. I don't have money for a UQ, so I'm using a windshield reflector on the very bottom underneath a Klymit Stativ V inflatable camp pad that has baffles in the pad pouch. I'm using a Military Modular sleep system for my bag which with my pad has really worked really well for keeping my butt toasty. I then have a military poncho liner draped over the ridgelinge with a cheap $2 space/survival myler blanket draped over that. Then on top of those I took a cheap Walmart twin size comforter, ran shock cord down the sides and ran paracord thru the ends with barrel locks on all 4 corners. This is attached to the ridgeline on both ends. Surprisingly, this combination has really worked pretty good. I have a digital thermometer that I took inside the hammock with me last nite. It was 25* with a 5-10 mph wind. I planned on sleeping in it for 3 hours, but due to a pee break and then a charlie horse in both legs from hiking in the woods all day, I only got to sleep in it for 2 hours. Let me tell you, I'm impressed. I think the space blanket is the main culprit for my heat retention as when I check the thermometer on exit I was 60* inside my hammock. I do all my testing in just sweat pants and t shirt so I had already pulled the sleeping bag off me earlier in the nite sometime. I have no idea at what point condensation is supposed to happen, but so far I haven't had any that I know of. I even have a battery operated fan inside that I pretty much use all the time (for the noise if nothing else). I realize others have braved colder climates, but I haven't got the chance yet so far. The part I didn't like about my testing is we got 3" of snow yesterday and I wear slippers when I test my hammock (easy off, easy on) so walking thru the snow was a treat lol.

Images
    Hi TZ, looking forward to reading about your testing. This cold snap has been great.
    If I may make one suggestion. Pictures and paragraphs are your friend. Walls of text makes my eyes cross.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Ditto to OutandBack's post.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I'll try and get some pics this week. Just went on mandatory overtime so my time just got pretty limited. last nite it got really frigid, but by the time I got home it was eat and go to bed. Right now is the perfect temps for me to test some more, highs in mid teens, lows in single digits with gusty winds. Just won't have the hang time right now.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah this wind will sure rob your heat. Wish I could get into the woods for this cold snap!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I work 2nd shift and with my overtime I'm not getting home until almost 3 in the morning. Then last nite I had to work on my wife's car when I got home which was a real pleasure in this cold.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ75man View Post
    I work 2nd shift and with my overtime I'm not getting home until almost 3 in the morning. Then last nite I had to work on my wife's car when I got home which was a real pleasure in this cold.
    There is nothing more painful than busting a knuckle in the cold while working on a vehicle.
    Winter weather is just starting so hopefully you will get some time to test soon.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I need to get off these hours. Part of the problem is my wife thinks the hammock thing is stupid and wants me to take it down. So I more or less "sneak" time in after she goes to bed. When I get home late I don't get the hang time because she's getting ready to wake up when I'm just getting to bed. I will take it down eventually, but not til I get some more testing in. I'm getting the grandkids hammocks for Christmas so they'll help me change her attitude about "hangin" eventually.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There is nothing more painful than busting a knuckle in the cold while working on a vehicle.
    Oh hell...having flashbacks...
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've been tenting various covers over my ridgeline as well. No condensation problems yet
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 11-19-2014 at 13:47.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

• + New Posts