Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips

Vargo Aluminum Wind Screen

Anyone know if that windscreen will work with an MSR Pocket Rocket stove or is it too short? I assume it does not because I can't find any info where someone is using these two pieces of gear together but I thought I would ask?
    Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am thinking they are too short. They are 3.2 inches tall and any canister stove will stand pretty tall.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Might look on your stove instructions. Windscreens are not recommended for any canister that is enclosed. A life threatening explosion could result id heat entrapment was present. Be safe and camp long and healthy.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Too short. You're best making one out of heavy foil from a disposable pie pan or turkey roasting tray.

Nothing against what Dedicated Hanger said about safety, but the manufacturers' legal team have to say that. Can't blame them.

But in reality, when UPS is shipping these in 110°+ weather, and the temp inside the truck may be more, what is "too hot?" Is it really a big concern? Without making assumptions and saying "yes, it's not worth the risk", I recommend you do a test to decide for yourself.

Try it out and keep your finger on top of the canister...I'm betting a lot that it won't be too hot, and definitely not too hot to explode the metal canister. Most of the heat rises. And as long as there's enough breathing room, it's beneficial for any heat inside the wind screen keeping the canister from being ice cold. You gain efficiency from blocking wind and keeping the canister warm.

In all my tests, it actually wasn't HOT ENOUGH...just blocking wind. So regarding safety, that's a good thing.

Just use common sense. If you can hold your fingers just above the canister while running the stove, you're fine unless you have super thick skin that can withstand several hundred degrees!

It always comes back to liability. If the manufacturers didn't say this, people would eventually wrap it with a super tight screen and then figure a lid on top would really keep the wind out. BOOM!

Hammock
    Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    Yeah I had a home made one, I was just looking for something a little more sturdy and thought that one may work. I figured it was a bit short. that stove sits pretty high on the canister.
    Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Check out the corrugated aluminum wind screen at www.woodgaz-stove.com they are super lightweight but the corrugations give it stability.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Too short. You're best making one out of heavy foil from a disposable pie pan or turkey roasting tray.

Nothing against what Dedicated Hanger said about safety, but the manufacturers' legal team have to say that. Can't blame them.

But in reality, when UPS is shipping these in 110°+ weather, and the temp inside the truck may be more, what is "too hot?" Is it really a big concern? Without making assumptions and saying "yes, it's not worth the risk", I recommend you do a test to decide for yourself.

Try it out and keep your finger on top of the canister...I'm betting a lot that it won't be too hot, and definitely not too hot to explode the metal canister. Most of the heat rises. And as long as there's enough breathing room, it's beneficial for any heat inside the wind screen keeping the canister from being ice cold. You gain efficiency from blocking wind and keeping the canister warm.

In all my tests, it actually wasn't HOT ENOUGH...just blocking wind. So regarding safety, that's a good thing.

Just use common sense. If you can hold your fingers just above the canister while running the stove, you're fine unless you have super thick skin that can withstand several hundred degrees!

It always comes back to liability. If the manufacturers didn't say this, people would eventually wrap it with a super tight screen and then figure a lid on top would really keep the wind out. BOOM!
    I am going to make a fuel can cozy to use for colder temps, not worried at all..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    I am going to make a fuel can cozy to use for colder temps, not worried at all..
    That helps a bit by getting it off the cold ground. I made one from a thick foam beer can coozie a few years ago. Two things to remember though (and why I no longer use it):

1. Fuel has to be warm to begin with. Easily solved by keeping canister in sleeping bag overnight. But, the killer...

2. Even though it starts out warm, the vaporization and expansion of the gas causes the canister to freeze itself making the coozie useless. Why you'll notice frost/ice on the can if ran long enough in warm weather. Just like your body in a sleeping bag - you can have all the down in the world, but if you go to bed freezing cold, it won't really help you unless YOU'RE generating heat to retain.

The best solution is:

Putting it in warm water like I do. Crazy-efficient! With little effort, you can be in 0° but have it perform as if it were in your kitchen. No joke.

Other solutions that may help:

1. DIY copper tubing heat exchanger. Wrap some copper wire around the canister and loop some thru the flame. Never tried this and don't really want to! Could be DANGEROUS since it's harder to monitor the canister temp.

2. Use a windscreen to reclaim some of the heat, but not too much!

3. Use a handwarmer to keep the canister warm. But these don't put out much heat so I never tried it. Waste of time/weight for me.

4. Hold the canister with your bare hands...brrrr!

Again, the main point is to APPLY heat while the stove is running. Worst case scenario, it's 10°F outside but the bowl or water will theoretically always be 32°+ (definitely above 10° air temp) even if you don't mess with adding warm water. I always add a tablespoon of hot water to the mix though, making it luke warm.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    To add to what Markr6 said about using water, I use remote canister stove with the canister inverted. I keep the concave dished bottom filled with water.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Interesting fellas... Yes, I was gonna warm it first before use.. I figured the cozy would buy me some time, as opposed to being uncovered in wind etc.. For real cold I have my trusty svea 123.. Or just alky..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

• + New Posts