Full-time hanger here. One of my best purchases last winter was a 2QZQ Pillowcase Hat.

Here's their original announcement of the item and here it is on their website.

The thing is basically just a fleece sleeve, closed at one end. Dimensions: about 13" x 27" or so. Kind of an ugly burnt-orange color (also comes in camo -- though I didn't test that one). If you are a University of Texas fan, you'll be plenty happy with the color.

It apparently started life as a pillowcase cover and evolved into a quite-unique hat.

1) In their note announcing the new item (linked to above), they note that its original use was taking this pillowcase that had a hammock pillow inside it already -- and then putting the pillowcase (with the pillow still inside) over one's head. This caused the pillowcase to hold the pillow in place quite securely -- since the pillow is basically attached to one's head.

I have not used it in this mode -- so cannot comment.

2) I used it as a hat. And as a hat, it is VERY long! Whenever I use this hat, I pull the front down over my face (i.e., just past the end of my nose). This works great to keep my face nice and warm. Remember -- at night, you have no reason to be able to maintain vision -- so you can completely cover your eyes. I did this, combined with a neoprene face mask, and an additional fleece balaclava, to keep warm down to as low as minus 13°F (i.e., below zero F).

With the SIGNIFICANT excess material at the top of my head, I usually folded it two or three times and put the folds below my head -- effectively using the folded excess material as a pillow. And again, since this "pillow" is attached to your head, it always stays in place! This worked great in the winter to insulate my head from the cold wind outside the hammock.

3) Another thing you can do with the excess material is to fold it down over your head, resulting in two -- or three -- layers of fleece all around your head. The idea is similar to the traditional watch cap. In a traditional watch cap, you pull the cap tight over your head. The excess material gets folded up to create perhaps a one-inch area with two layers of material. However, this cap is so very long that there is enough material to fold up to the top of your head -- and then fold it back down again!

This is one of my favorite pieces of cold-weather kit. I especially like the innovation of pulling the hat down over my nose -- that does wonders for my overall comfort -- and presumedly for lessening heat loss through the head.

I strongly endorse this product.

More good news: this is such a simple product that handier folks will easily make their own. Us less-handy people shouldn't mind forking out a mere $15 to the good folks at 2QZQ for this outstanding item.