Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stupid Question about the UQP

Would it be possible to flip flop this product if needed and use it in a manner similar to an over cover or is it cut in a way that would totally prevent that?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    Would it be possible to flip flop this product if needed and use it in a manner similar to an over cover or is it cut in a way that would totally prevent that?
    If you are a little bit handy yes. I've used a 2nd breathable UQP as a top cover. Don't forget a vent is a must if you want to stay dry.
    I had started talking with Donna on a new design last year but we really didn't get very far.

I figured I would either leave it open on one end and cover as far as needed.

In your pic with the bridge hammy do you just have it strung over your SRL? Did you use any fasteners to pull it down on the sides?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    I figured I would either leave it open on one end and cover as far as needed.

In your pic with the bridge hammy do you just have it strung over your SRL? Did you use any fasteners to pull it down on the sides?
    In the design stages I started with those black springy paper clips then moved up to stick-on velcro patchs to determine how many
    attachment what was required in a breeze to keep the cover on. The foot vent was adjustable and the head vent was fixed. It is a very good
    design to deal with condensation. In over 3 months of winter testing about 1 night a week I never had a condensation issue.

I also wanted and easy in and out for night time tree visits.
    Where to sew and where to possibly use velcro or plastic snaps is where
    we got distracted and project kind of went on the back burner for both of us.

Since that time I have modified a warbonnet bridge sock to fit my JacksorBetter bridge and have been using that.

I do have condensation issues with this sock. It is poorly vented but a brilliant design.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 11-18-2014 at 12:01.

I have "nightly outings" to deal with as well so the easy in out thing is a key for me too. Any other special considerations I should keep in mind for tinkering? I use a gathered end but any thoughts help me out being new and all.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    How about a DutchWare Vented Sock instead?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Welling if you are asking me.
    This whole reaching for the sky to open and close the sock is a major downer. I did not like JustJeff's design or Randy's sock for that very same reason.
    I am 5'8" and love 11' hammocks I can't reach the top of my gathered end hammock.

The screened vent is unproven. 3 vendors now offer a bugnet vent in a sock or top cover for a hammock but none have been tested thru a winter.
    I am worried the bugnet will stop the chimney effect needed to vent ones moist breath.

Bug netting will catch and freeze your breath just like breathable nylon.
    This pict is a WBBB with the net zipped and the tarp setup in storm mode right on top of the hammock RL
    with a steep pitch on both side. The temp was +15F

Last edited by OutandBack; 11-18-2014 at 14:04.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I guess I just figure all folk are built like me...gorilla arms and 6-2.

The Shug had the idea of hanging a piece of fleece in front of his pie hole. Wonder how that would fare with the skeeter net venting? Happy to let you cold weather types sort it all out...I'll be by the fireplace thankyouverymuch.

I was thinking about that since his is pretty sweet and hits the weight limits I have in my mind. I did ask about it. At 5'4" I am more comfortable in a wide hammock doing a wider diagonal lay versus a longer 11' hammock with a more shallow angle diagonally and all the socks I have found are not quite right on that width factor limiting out at 58-60 inches in width. My hammock set ups run from 64" wide to 77" wide and all are 10' long max. (Even then I can't reach the peak bags.)

The most accommodating idea for my style I have found are the Freezer Flaps but the bulk and weight on those is not quite a fit for me either.

Images
    I guess I just figure all folk are built like me...gorilla arms and 6-2.
    In my mind the new dutch winter sock is screaming for Donna to install one of 2QZQ's HH zipper mods along the side you get out of.
    That solves the vertically challenged issue like mine. The netting over the vent I am still not sure yet. Winter is here so we should be getting some reports soon.

The Shug had the idea of hanging a piece of fleece in front of his pie hole. Wonder how that would fare with the skeeter net venting? Happy to let you cold weather types sort it all out...I'll be by the fireplace thankyouverymuch.
    Shugs breath catcher is one of those ideas I wish I would have though of. So simple yet so effective.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast