WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook

TQ or UQ easier to make

I am looking at making the leap to DIY with a quilt. I have looked through the various DIY quilt threads and it appears the UQ is easier to make than a TQ due to the TQ taper and footbox. Am I correct with this line of thought or am I over thinking the TQ?

Thanks to everyone who have posted their DIY projects. There are some truly talented people out there!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    You dont need to diff cut a tq. Makes it way easier since there are less darts.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I've made both, and I thought the TQ was easier. The TQ had more baffles but didn't need edge channels, side channels, end darts or any fancy outer shell differential. Also, my UQ was made with shaped/curved baffles so that was more difficulty to sew. Either one is very doable, just take your time and plan out the project really well.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    simple construction i would edge towards the UQ. less overall sewing.
    with a more complicated design then i would have to go with the guy's knowledge above and say TQ

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Honestly, they are both about the same, cinstruction wise. Make sure ypu plan everything out ahead of time.

A TQ with a cinch foot box is easiest, a sewn footbox is a bit harder to plan. Uq is no more difficult to make, but takes a little more planning.

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook
    Thanks for the feedback. I was off on my idea that the UQ is easier. I underestimated the darts in the UQ. I have some experience with sewing and this would be the hardest project. Laying out and planning is key to any project especially one of this detail.

Any suggestions on a simple TQ plan? I'm looking at 20* down. Thanks.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    IMO this is one is the most thorough and easiest to follow. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tions-and-pics

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I did not find any great difference. I just started my TQ, I laid on the floor, to see how much room I would take up while in my widest sleeping position. Then I took my height added 7 inches, because I only wanted the quilt to come over my shoulders not my head. I added 17 inches to my widest sleeping position, which was an error (way too wide for a hammock). I then decided how deep I wanted the foot box. I decided to start my taper about the center of my quilt. Tested it while on the floor, for the foot box to see how it would work. Then decided how deep I wanted my baffles, I went with 3.5 inches. Then I measured down from the top to where I wanted my baffles to start. Then started sewing, no more difficult than the UQ. Trick is to measure and test. Cheap sheets from a thrift store work well, blankets, paper in a pinch. I wanted to force my brain to work so I did most things just by testing, laying on the floor and making an outline, I used that to decide where to start my taper. The taper part was not a problem, the end of the quilt caused me a lot of work, because I did not have a firm plan, I just started cutting and sewing.

I had more problems with my UQ forming to the hammock, I will do the next one very differently.

Over all once you practice a bit it is all very close to the same. You can get as fancy or as plain as you want, your sewing skills will grow with practice. For me my UQ was my done after the TQ, I am not happy with the UQ, I am reharvesting the down and making a different UQ, I have put three different suspensions systems on it and it just is not working correctly for me. It works on some hammocks and not others. There you go, just pick the one you are the most interested in and go for it. Cheap material is very good to practice on. The next quilt is almost always better LOL.

Try making a little quilt, for a cat, kid, doll, puppy, small person.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I thought my TQ was easier due to less planning, no darts, no differential cut. But sewing is sewing and planning is planning, so if you are a good sewer, but a poor planner, a TQ will probably be easier. If you are a good planner and a good sewer, they are probably about equal, with more planning for the UQ. Good luck!
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I thought my TQ was easier due to less planning, no darts, no differential cut. But sewing is sewing and planning is planning, so if you are a good sewer, but a poor planner, a TQ will probably be easier. If you are a good planner and a good sewer, they are probably about equal, with more planning for the UQ. Good luck!
    +1 to this! Planning and taking your time is everything!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

• + New Posts