GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

question regarding underquilt and diagonal lay

Hi everyone,
    Hope I can get some clarification on suspending an under quilt. It seems that most underquilts are 42-46 inches wide. I am 6‘1" and 230 pounds. I hang a diy eleven foot by 60 inch 1.9 oz rip stop hammock with whipped ends. I lay on the diagonal and have had some trouble understanding the mechanics of suspending an under quilt and be able to maintain my diagonal lay. It seems that 46 inch width for an under quilt would have me more "banana" style. I have reclaimed about 14 oz of down and would like to start an under quilt project but would appreciate some clarification on this if possible. Do taller people use wider under quilts or adjust their lay angle or am I missing the boat altogether?
    Thanks!

Most underquilts are designed to shift along with you as you lie on the diagonal. I know with my incubator it is easy to adjust by having the suspension tighter on one side than the other

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The shock cord suspension that many (...most...almost all...) underquilts use is particularly friendly to a diagonal lie. It's adjustable enough and has enough flex to allow the underquilt to conform to your body. Also, there are a number of other suspension methods that ensure the UQ stays on the diagonal: Dutch's quilt hooks, Hammock Gear's secondary suspension, etc.

In other words, don't be afraid of smaller width underquilts: they'll work with you once you've got them dialed in.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this for some UQ insight and adjusting UQ sueension on a bias.
    Hope it sheds some light.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nosckaj123 View Post
    Most underquilts are designed to shift along with you as you lie on the diagonal. I know with my incubator it is easy to adjust by having the suspension tighter on one side than the other
    Thanks! one of those things I probably should have known but honestly didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    The shock cord suspension that many (...most...almost all...) underquilts use is particularly friendly to a diagonal lie. It's adjustable enough and has enough flex to allow the underquilt to conform to your body. Also, there are a number of other suspension methods that ensure the UQ stays on the diagonal: Dutch's quilt hooks, Hammock Gear's secondary suspension, etc.

In other words, don't be afraid of smaller width underquilts: they'll work with you once you've got them dialed in.
    Thanks!. I have not pulled the trigger on this step in my DIY addiction for that very reason. So now I guess I am all out of excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I'll offer this for some UQ insight and adjusting UQ sueension on a bias.
    Hope it sheds some light.
    Shug

Thanks Shug!
    All the above post along with your video made the light bulb go on. Did y'all plan that? Sometimes I can read it but it sure is good to see it. I plan on making a full length under quilt (I'm scared) as soon as deer season is over. I bet Karl would like him some of that there deer steak and gravy. Ummm!

• + New Posts