Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    After reading Tom Brown's The Tracker, I started using what he calls his "fox walk" after dark in the woods. It was simply lifting your feet higher off the ground with each step and taking shorter steps. With a bit of practice it became second nature, and you really don't trip on things the way you do when your leg swings horizontally. I believe he said it was also less noisy. For several years thereafter I stopped using flashlights entirely (and I was in the woods 24/7). Sadly, I have lost the knack since then, but if my headlight dims I can force myself relearn it, after a fashion. I agree with Nothermark that we should be expected to be aware of our surroundings (and things underfoot) even in camp. Unfortunately the two biggest offenders I camp with are my dog and myself.

Hammock
    snugpak jungle hammock
    Tarp
    snugpak all weathe
    Insulation
    seeking dyi now
    Suspension
    eno atlas
    Seems I find mine the hard way sometimes. I tried the 550 glow it just isn't very bright. I purchased some 750 paracord. Lot thicker than standard and in white it stands out even in the dark nights. Bright moon nights easy to see. This way don't compromise weight or durability and versatility

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    After reading this thread it appears that most agree that something that glows in the dark is not going to fill everyone's personal needs through the late hours of the night. I done some research looking for a reflective option that was light weight and something that I can leave on my setup without having to take it off and then put it back on once I get my hammock set up for the night.

Here is an option on reflective string that I think I'm going to place on the corners of my tarp with a girth hitch and on the tops of my stakes.

http://colesafety.com/Trail-Thread-R...ail-Thread.htm
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I so excited, bonsaihikeram contacted me about the Vertigo I posted about earlier. He made some positive suggestions to me, basically where I should be able to find help for my Vertigo and some other balance issues.

I know I am not alone in having some problems in the dark, there is help, once you are pointed in the correct direction. Thank you bonsaihikeram.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Putting on curmudgeon hat. Way back when I was a scout if we tripped over somebody's guy lines we would would have been mocked for being clumsy. We all learned to move around in the dark as flashlight batteries cost money. I don't think they had glow lines back then. Are we being a bit too protective these days???

I am serious about the idea that training folks to expect to be over protected is why they do so many dumb things. They expect to be protected when there is no one else to look out for them.
    DITTO!

it is time we started teaching RESPONSIBILITY, in camp

goes along with not shining these new bright lights in the eyes of others, running & yelling in campgrounds after 8pm and the list goes on...

and BTW, just how many double mantel gas lanterns does it take to watch a camp fire?

sw(another curmudgeon)
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Hmm, surprised no one´s mentioned simply tying some toilet paper around the lines.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I introduced the reflective tarp lines and almost all with a hammock have gone to this. It helps a lot as most equipment sold comes with black cord and during the night it is almost impossible to see. We have also stress to use orange tape tied on the lines going out to catch the light from the dark suckers (flashlights).

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I use gutted glow in the dark para cord. I have a loop tied to each of my stakes. It's not very reflective but it does glow for a long time and it's a high visibility green. I got it dirt cheap at Home Depot.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I always laugh at peeps who genuinely think the world hasn't improved since they were kids.
    The problem is defining "better". I'll skip the long rant as this is not the place for it. Suffice to say that there are a lot of things in the outdoors that take respect and attention or they bite you. Not just animals. I stopped supporting the BSA when I figured out how protective they had gotten. I am amazed at what I see here or on WB or similar places when I see irrational expectations from posters. IF somebody wants to start a thread on it I think it would be appropriate but I am not a mod. In the meantime I need to work on my full stealth digital camo tarp and hammock with glowing tie outs. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tord Hoppe View Post
    Hmm, surprised no one´s mentioned simply tying some toilet paper around the lines.
    the meese love TP for their nests
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast