DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Working out my car camping set up

I've been refining my car camping game during this arctic cool down. As I do not need to carry this stuff mine is slightly more bulky. I picked up one end of my hammock and I was like, "I am not going to be trying to backpack this much weight".

My wife threw a yoga/workout mat out in the garage, which means, "This is the last time I'm touching this, you do something with it when you clean out the garage". Its is about 21" wide x 72', rolls up to 5-6" x 21", could be backpacked as easily as some other pads. (Most any store for $14-$21, some available up to 48" wide.) Made of 3/16-1/4" neoprene, bias-bound around the edges. Not heavy at all, packable as a rolled under mat would be. I'm putting this inside a 40 degree rectangular sleeping bag and inserting asym between the two layers of my BIAS Camper XL. Neither shifts during the night, and the bag kinda' gives it a nice padded effect too. Been down to 24 so far without the least hint of this combo surrendering to the cold. Good thing is the bag is 36" wide. No cold spots when sprawled, or on my side. Tonight I will remove the sleeping bag to vet the yoga pad's ability to go it alone. News at 10.

My secret weapon on top: A sniper-style sleeping bag with arm sleeves and hood. Only $42 on Sportsman's Guide. Says good to 40, but I've found it to be good much beyond that. I've fought both rectangular and mummy bags in a hammock before. Don't have those problems with this one. I turn, and because of the sleeves (designed long to cover your hands too) the bag turns with you. No binding up. No having to wake to redistribute covers/tuck edges. I sleep in old 80's era Duofold long underwear that is a soft wool on the outside, so that helps it get under 40 comfortably, and wool socks. If my hands get cold around 4 I just put on gloves.

BEST OF ALL THOUGH...when answering the call of nature in the middle of the night you just swing your legs out over the edge and stand up in your sniper bag! Bag stays up, its hood over your head, your arms in the sleeves, arms free to...well, you know. You stay warm (most of you stays warm ), zip open from the bottom and do your business. It don't get any better than that. (Warning to the old: cold temperature working in conjunction with old age weak stream issues can cause bottom of the bag to soak. Ask me how I know this.)
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 11-19-2014 at 13:44.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

• + New Posts