Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Another try at explaining Dutch quilt hooks

Curmudgeon Alert:

In a recently posted video, Dutch explained his quilt hooks, but the thread quickly degenerated into irrelevancy by posters wanting to know off-topic things such as what type of knife Dutch had around his neck, the usual not-so-funny jokes, etc. I hope this thread stays on topic (although having this disclaimer may attract just what it is trying to avoid), so that people may benefit without having to wade through a slew of irrelevant observations. In general, this type of thing happens all too often, so if you have nothing substantial to contribute to a thread, please refrain from posting inanities. Also hijacking a thread is not polite, and it is very annoying to the originator of the thread and those interested in following it. Hijacking means that by means of questions or comments, a thoughtless person succeeds in deviating the content of a thread into an altogether different direction than the one intended by the originator of the thread. We all have done it, so it requires a bit of awareness.

Definition of CURMUDGEON: A bad-tempered or surly person.
    Definition of INANITY: The quality of being inane, as in lack of substance, emptiness, vapid, pointless, shallow.

End of Alert/Rant

Managing the UQ is probably the most difficult task in setting up a hammock. As you move and shift position through the nigth, the UQ tends to slip side-to-side to less than optimal positions. Quilt hooks help to keep the quilt in place. The clip-on hooks are for hammocks without an integrated bugnet, and can be easily installed and removed. The sew-on hooks are for hammocks with integrated bugnets, and as the name implies, they are more permanently attached to the hammock.

Because you have to use needle and thread to attach the sew-on hooks, I would suggest that if at all possible, try the clip-on hooks on a netless hammock first. This will give you a better idea of the best placement for the sew-on hooks on your netted hammock.

I found that although recommended in Dutch's site, I didn't need to install all four hooks. I only have one on the shoulder side and one on the foot side, and performance has been fine. I even think that the one in the shoulder side is the only really important one, as my foot clip got disconnected for several days and I didn't notice any change. I haven't tried a setup with four hooks yet, so can't tell with real certainty if performance really improves. Maybe I'm missing something good.

Lastly, I had to experiment a little with the clip-on hooks, as at first they kept disconnecting from the hammock. I solved the issue by clipping them to several folds of hammock fabric. But notice that even if they disconnect from the hammock, they are still securely attached to the UQ suspension, so they will not get lost easily.

In summary, I've had good experiences with the UQ hooks, and highly recommend them. They help to keep the UQ in place, leading to warmer nights under the stars.
    Last edited by Gravity; 11-20-2014 at 14:21.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is a really great summery. You are correct that the clip on ones can slide off if the fabric is slippery or thin. I roll the hem a time or two before I clip it and it usually corrects it. Ridgeline quilt hooks are the most important in my opinion.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    As far as the uq clips go,I have also found that if i only have one on the shoulder side and one on the foot side with my gathered end hammock that i have the best results.
    My wife on the other hand is still having trouble getting her uq to sit right with her Riderunner bridge style hammock, i have ordered a few different style clips from Dutch to try out and see what works the best.they have not arrived yet.
    I would think the rl clips would surely work but the ridgerunner does not have a rl,, any suggestions would be apreciated.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I find the clip on hooks work well over a zipper as well.

With the WBBB or XLC, the zipper terminates near the head. I use a clip on quilt hook right at the end of the zipper. The little eye on the clip on hook is enough to go over the zipper teeth and by having it at the end of the zipper, it does not interfere with zipping the bug net or over cover all the way shut.

I have used this method for months and months of continuous outdoor sleeping in all weather conditions.

Regarding the foot end, I have found that having the shock cord over the foot box does the trick; however, upon occasion, and in particular when temps are near zero, I also use a quilt hook to connect shock cord in an ad hoc method. Whether it be to the quilt or over the ridge line to connect either side of the quilt to cinch up the middle closer to the bottom of the hammock.

I have found these quilt hooks to be invaluable when dialing in various setups for small groups, say like the family, kids, guests etc. . Just seems like all the gear works well enough with experienced users but when looking to ensure the comfort of new hangers or young hangers in cold temps, the Dutch Quilt Hooks give you that extra option to ensure a warm night's sleep.

Having a half dozen or more of these Quilt Hooks on hand is a no brainer for me. I prefer the white as they are more easily located should they hit the deck.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    Great products indeed. Losing them is my only concern with them.

• + New Posts