Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Insulation Chart for MYOG- Updated

I previously posted a chart on here and at BPL- mainly for discussion. I noticed a few folks using it already though!
    I have attached an updated chart to reflect some of the discussion and info shared here and at BPL on the topic.

This chart is not meant to be a "FACT", but something that we can all use to tinker and discuss. It can be updated and adjusted. Many people have opinions either way, and some of the science falls apart a bit- this chart is my best guess and blending of all these items. Unfortunately, any real "Experts" work for someone and consider their knowledge proprietary. So this is a MYOG best guess, and technically nothing more than my opinion.

REVISED-

Updates based upon feedback-
    This chart includes a wider range of temperature sleepers- Hot, Warm, Cool, Cold, and a light attempt to relate them to EN ratings.
    Down Overstuff was increased to 30%, as this is the most typical number used and more relevant to MYOG users.
    Some mathematical clarification and corrections.
    Other updated information.
    Included an APEX chart from Enlightened Equipment.

A second page showing down plus baffle weight included for more accurate comparison, including a "break point"

Bottom line-
    Summer and light shoulder- APEX or PL (if you are willing)
    Shoulder season- choose carefully (Cost, Weight, Compression) The only one of these in favor of synthetic is Cost- Down is superior otherwise.
    Winter- Stick with Down.

Some things to note- (Mostly opinion, informed or not)
    Primaloft-
    PL Silver is suitable for base camp/car camp situations in my opinion, due to it's lower cost it is a good choice for those on a budget. I have included the CLO value for reference for those purposes, however for any gear that must be compacted or carried it is not a good choice.
    If you want to make a project with more than 3oz or 4oz batts of PL Gold, do not switch to Silver, but use multiple layers of Gold.

Primaloft Gold has higher CLO values than APEX- ON PAPER, actual realization of this higher CLO, especially considering the recommended quilting needed is not proven. PL GOLD is an excellent choice for apparel, it was discussed here and on this site for experimentation in quilts.
    If you are not willing to accept the possibility that your project will fail, wear prematurely, or not perform as planned then DO NOT use PL products in quilts or sleeping bags.

APEX (Climbashield)-
    This is a proven synthetic insulation and generally agreed to be the best synthetic available to the MYOG user at this time. If you are looking to make your first project or only one project you should stick with APEX.

The weird factor- experience varies wildly with APEX. It is hard to break it down or find good values for the material. It also comes in a "High Loft" variety that has a lower CLO value and different performance not covered here. My personal opinion is that APEX is often over compressed leading to damage and degradation of the fill. In addition, it is commonly used by people of vastly different experience, craftsmanship, and uses in the MYOG community. You will note that Enlightened Equipment's ratings seem to "fall off" as far as the performance of Apex as it gets thicker. I have seen other's do this as well. I think it is a good caution to carefully consider high amounts of synthetic fill much past one layer for this reason as well. If nothing else, the thicker it is, the more likely you are to compress it too much and damage it.

DOWN VS SYNTHETIC-
    Down is lighter than synthetic. It compresses better and lasts longer. With the introduction of water repellent down, it is the superior fill by far.
    However, in certain low fill applications, it requires smaller, tightly spaced baffles to perform.
    The time and complexity to achieve this can be prohibitive for MYOG.
    In addition, the weight of these materials (baffles) causes Down to be heavier than synthetic in nearly all summer, and some 3 season projects.
    Synthetic is also cheaper.

WEIGHT-
    See the chart, if weight is your primary concern you will see the "break point" where synthetics construction advantages give way to down.

COST-
    Much past 4CLO, or two layers of APEX/PL, packability and other concerns may make synthetic prohibitive. Around this level the cost savings for the MYOG person may not be worth the project you create. Synthetic will always be cheaper, but doing much past 6-8 OZ per sq yd of synthetic will result in a bag or quilt very difficult if not impossible to pack.

COMPRESSION-
    Do not over compress synthetic, you can loose up to 25% of the insulation value PERMANANTLY in doing this. Take into consideration how you will pack when making a choice. PL is less affected by this, but requires proper quilting so it won't degrade or shift.

My personal experience- there is little difference in single layers of synthetic and their down equivalent in regards to packing. In the warmer temps you have more room in general as well.

Once you tip to double layers of Apex (past 5.0oz) not only is the weight lower, but you can take advantage of Down's compression.

Finally- durability-

I am personally willing to down grade, shelf, or pass off to summer car camping friends my APEX quilts after a hard season or two. I abuse them and use them at their limit and accept that this will damage them. I don't advocate disposable gear, but accept it and find a home for these pieces. I also make them myself, so replacement costs are not horrendous. You can also recycle the shell materials for your next project as well if you are willing- or turn the scrap into stuff sacks or other items. After 200+ nights you will see a decrease in performance of 10-15 degrees in APEX. This can be extended with excellent care and loose packing- but one of the reasons to choose synthetic is that you can abuse it.

That said- if you want to make or purchase an item that will last you a long time- Down is the better choice.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Just Bill; 11-21-2014 at 18:21.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Thanks for all the hard work. I'll have to sit down and try to digest all this when I have more time.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Aweseome charts.

Observation - you need to move your breakpoint row on page 2 to take account of the down weight change due to the 30% overstuff.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Fantastic work and greatly appreciated. The chart is going to take some digesting to fully wrap my head around though

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    Aweseome charts.

Observation - you need to move your breakpoint row on page 2 to take account of the down weight change due to the 30% overstuff.
    Ah- when rushing through the OS increase it looks like I messed up the formula there- the cells were not adding in the baffle weight properly. Revised now.
    Thanks for the catch. I will update the original post.

There is useful stuff in the chart- but mainly math displayed- page 2 is a better "bottom line"
    The short version- above the break point, synthetic is lighter, below it, down becomes lighter.
    Definitely take that point with caution though- it is relying on the unproven CLO of the PL which may change after quilting.
    For sure though, One layer of Apex is lighter than down.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Very interesting, THANK YOU for the work you have done for me and a lots of HF members. Like the members before me, I am going to need to think about the information. Job well done!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Very interesting chart, if correct. But, the loft for down, at a given CLO, does not correspond to the loft for CS XP or Apex. For example, look at the CLO of 2. This does correspond to my experience with a temp rating of 40-50F. (In my test wearing cotton T shirt and jeans and a fleece hat) However, there is a loft listed of 1.5" for down with CLO of 2. CS Apex with a CLO rating of 2 ( which weighs 2.5 oz sq yd) has a loft of only 0.6". Less than half that of down for the same temp rating.

The other thing I notice here is- again if this chart is correct- that there is no significant weight advantage for 800FP or less down vs CS Apex. Notice the weight for 800 down with a CLO of 2 = 2.43 oz.sq.yd vs CS's 2.5. That is mighty close.
    Billy Bob- moved your comment here from the other thread.

Loft of Down is hard to compare to CLO for most of us.
    Loft of synthetic is not comparable, but CLO is easy to find.

I used the loft chart from ZPacks, which comes from BPL to determine the loft for a given temp.
    In looking again though, that chart matches what is now the hot sleeper and likely the temp ratings need to slide around a bit.
    Zpacks calls 1.2" of Loft 50*F, Enlightened Equipment calls 2oz of Apex (1.64 CLO) 50*
    I used these vendors because I am a ground dweller mainly and trust these brands. Perhaps though those of you who know hammock vendors can help increase the inputs and various charts to smooth this out better. These vendors are also fairly transparent with detailed fill weight, baffle height, and other design insights not easily found elsewhere.

Off hand- It looks like if I slid the whole loft column down one cell- it would match up a bit better.
    I tried to get a clean answer on loft to CLO directly (without a temp "middle man" but that is beyond my HS education)

For sure the temp rating is the hardest to compare and make work. It needs some tweaking overall. I think that loft change is in order, but let's see if we get more feedback. Originally I only had a loft to temp to CLO setup and one temp rating, in trying to make the temp more inclusive it seems to have lost some accuracy that can be refined I believe.

Definitely looking for help on this to clean it up, and more importantly, balance it against field experience and less on "lab" results.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    On the other hand...
    I put EE's specs for a given temp in a chart with Zpacks
    loft, clo, temp.png

Looks like the thing to do if flush out this table with more vendors and average it out.
    I understand the construction part and weights very well- the front part(down, clo, loft) seems to change with every vendor you look at or person you talk to, so that will take a bit of sorting to make this chart more reliable.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Have you looked at the Catsplat calculator for any down information? It seems like there was a fair amount of research that went into that formula.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I appreciate the work done here! This is an amazing resource for the DIY crowd and an invaluable tool for those deciding which route to take!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast