Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Another point: those big honkin' lag screws need a full depth pilot hole. Otherwise, they function as threaded wedges, and will split the wood they are driven into.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    the piece you linked is the one i have used. i would guess the limit dances around 175-200lbs with those badboys on studs though, amending my previous statement about my lil bro though; we added a 2x4 perpendicular to the stud to reinforce his wall because it was sketchy to begin with. the truck bed anchor guys are great for kids' rooms as you can easily put two sets. i like the 'spanning several studs' idea, theoretically its sound and the shelf would help with making it a win with the wives. twenty creativity points ylnfrt lol i havent ever tried it to see what it actually does in practice, however, and would love to see someone else's results if they ever try that.
    Thanks for the points but I really don't deserve them- there was a thread a while back where someone did the shelf thing with nicely stained wood to dress it up (for the mrs.) I was just passing along the idea as another option- and a good one I think.

As oldgringo said- you want to have full depth pilot holes for lag bolts/ screws so as not to split the 2x.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    In my old house I beefed up the hanging walls similar to the shelf idea by screwing some transverse 2x6 x36 boards across 3 studs on 16" centers, but I "hid" three of them per wall in plain sight on the shared wall between the hammock room and the entry-hall and also on the opposite shared wall between the hammock room and the closet in an adjacent bedroom. So I used six 2x6x36" boards for my walls. I edge-routed, sanded, stained them for appearance.

Bridging across three studs of each of those 2 walls I predrilled and Spax-screwed the 2x6's to the stud centers, level at about 3.5ft, 5ft,and 6.5ft high, and then installed some old-school (really where I got them) brass coat hooks on all the boards. The brass hooks looked right for that house and were useful heights in entryway and closet, and all that showed on the hammock room walls were the rings and springs, some pix and other deco. Never saw any bowed walls or plaster cracks (no drywall in that old house), and no creaks over several years of use, including my bro the Gentle Gorilla who swings hard in a hammock.

When I sold the house the buyers loved the hammock and the hooks, so I didn't have to take it all down and repair the holes. She's a home decorator and he's an architect, so their approval felt good. When we signed the closing docs I gave them a new hammock to celebrate their new home.

Nice! That’s always a great closing gift. Do you happen to have any old pictures of that setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    [QUOTE=BambulanceMan;1977659]Nice! That’s always a great closing gift. Do you happen to have any old pictures of that setup? /QUOTE]

Well, they got a nice new hammock in a well-kept old house in a great neighborhood, and I got a fat check to build a new house in acres of woodland bordered by a protected creek, miles away from town, where I can wake to songbirds and hang a hundred hammocks if I like. I think I got the better deal!

I enjoy making and giving hammocks as gifts. I like to send a full setup home with visiting friends who are pleasantly surprised at how well they sleep in my guest hammocks. Especially the kids. Get 'em hooked while they're young. The first one's free!!!

Maybe I have pics of the wall reinforcements, but it's doubtful. I usually plan my projects with back-of-envelope drawings and a materials & cut list, and when I finish the project I stuff the notes into a file box and forget about them. Not very organized or helpful. But I took photos of the house to list it, so if I find any that show those wall boards I'll post them. It was several years ago and about 2000 miles from where I live now. I still have about a dozen taped-up boxes from that move, so maybe in there... Clearly I've really NEEDED all that stuff I moved!

Lol I hear ya about boxes.... I need to make my first hammock. I need something to replace my dutchware as my daily sleeper. Maybe I should make one?

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by BambulanceMan View Post
    Lol I hear ya about boxes.... I need to make my first hammock. I need something to replace my dutchware as my daily sleeper. Maybe I should make one?

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.
    Yes indeed, you should make one! It can be as easy (no-sew gathered-end) or as complicated (bridge with all the bells & whistles) as you want to make it. You can make exactly what you want, and it doesn't need to cost a fortune even if you want to make a real silk one for your indoors sleeper. There are a ton of DIY threads that can step you through getting your first hammock done in a jiffy (also more complex builds you might want to do later), lots of links to excellent how-to videos, and of course lots of experienced folks ready to help. Check out the DIY Stickies subforum. I guarantee you'll get fired up to start on your own right away, aaaaand pretty soon you'll be a DIY lifer! (Warning: There is no cure, only long term support and maintenance. Side effects include restful sleep, sensations of pride & satisfaction, and occasional urges to buy more supplies and start another project.)

I don't scan the forums very often for new posts besides the threads I subscribe to. Otherwise I'd be on here 24/7 which is fun but I go down too many rabbit holes as it is. So feel free to PM me if I can help you get started. I love this stuff!

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    With a plasma cutter and a welder it makes indoor hanging very easy.

Instead of just inserting one eye bolt into the wall studs I decided to make plates to span 2 studs with a welded eye in the center. The studs on these walls are 2 by 6’s.

Materials:
    2- 3/8” thick plate steel cut 20” by 10”
    8- 3/8” by 4” lag bolts
    8- 3/8” washers
    1- 11/64” drill bit

First I cut the plate steel to size with a plasma cutter.
    Then drilled 4 holes in each corner. Usually wall studs are 16” from center to center, but the builders round her ain’t perfect. So on one side of the plate I drilled single holes, then on the other side drilled triple holes to accommodate for the different distances.
    Next, I cut the thread off of a 1/2” eye bolt and welded one to each plate. I welded them closer to the top of the plate so I would get the maximum height from them.
    Finally was prime and paint to make it look pretty.

Assembly was easy enough. Find the first then drill a pilot hole and insert the first bolt. Use a level to level it out then tighten the first bolt. Then repeat for all other bolts.

Once done, hang your hammock and have a nap.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    With a plasma cutter and a welder it makes indoor hanging very easy.

Instead of just inserting one eye bolt into the wall studs I decided to make plates to span 2 studs with a welded eye in the center. The studs on these walls are 2 by 6’s.

Materials:
    2- 3/8” thick plate steel cut 20” by 10”
    8- 3/8” by 4” lag bolts
    8- 3/8” washers
    1- 11/64” drill bit

First I cut the plate steel to size with a plasma cutter.
    Then drilled 4 holes in each corner. Usually wall studs are 16” from center to center, but the builders round her ain’t perfect. So on one side of the plate I drilled single holes, then on the other side drilled triple holes to accommodate for the different distances.
    Next, I cut the thread off of a 1/2” eye bolt and welded one to each plate. I welded them closer to the top of the plate so I would get the maximum height from them.
    Finally was prime and paint to make it look pretty.

Assembly was easy enough. Find the first then drill a pilot hole and insert the first bolt. Use a level to level it out then tighten the first bolt. Then repeat for all other bolts.

Once done, hang your hammock and have a nap.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast