Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm real tempted to do this since it would be fairly inconspicuous and easy to repair of I ever needed to take the bolts out. I'm about 160lb but still worry about bending the studs or bowing/cracking the wall around it.
    My wt. 320 lb. and have had no prob all summer and winter long.
    Right Side Head.jpgSleeping Area.jpgWindow Hook.jpg

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    Well, we always hang at our own risk but I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

I am a little heavier than you and had no issues. I would suggest studs near a corner and to use two perpendicular walls rather than parallel walls. That way some of the force is on the bolt and not directly pulling on the threads. The most important part is the diameter of your drill bit pilot hole needs to be small enough for the threads to grip and diameter of the bolt's core to be snug but not so small that the wood splits. Also, use an stud finder that will give you accuracy on drilling in the center of the stud. Hope it works well for you!!

I am surprised at how inconspicuous it is. I hang my hammock in the closet and you don't really notice the hooks in the corners. When I want to use it, 10 seconds later I am clipped in and hanging. I am renting the apartment I'm in and my lease states that I can make holes smaller than 1/4 inch. When I move out all I have to do is unscrew the eye bolt and patch the small hole.
    Can you please explain this (the bold section) a little more? Mine is hung on the far corners of perpendicular walls, but that's only because the stud was hard to find on the other side of the corner on one end.

How would that slight change change how it's pulling on the threads. Doesn't it anyway?

Hammock
    Hennessy ultralight backpacker asym
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a small eno singlenest that I bought before i knew anything about hammocks and decided to make it my lounger. I just went to the hardware store and picked up a couple of heavy duty hooks with a threaded end and screwed the into the wall studs. It holds me and at 175lbs no problem and only cost like $5 worth in hardware
    I don't like signatures

Hammock
    Hennessey supershelter
    I rigged my daughter's eno up in her room with just two 3/8" eye bolts set into headers above a door and window. She weighs about 120 if she's carrying two buckets of water, so I'm counting on that set up lasting a long, long time.

I am trying to set up an indoor hammock setup. I am 6'1" and 275lbs. I am trying to decide what all I would need for a safe and non destructive hang. I really dont want to mess up any walls or studs in my house. I am trying to calculate using the ultimate hangs calculator but am wishing it was a little more clear. If my room is 15 foot long, hammock is 118 inches, I am 275 and i will probably be pretty high off the ground (4-5 feet) I am seeing that I will need to have the Eye hook placed 100 inches up, and they should each be able to take 275 lbs. Do I need to build any type of wall bracer for this due to my weight? I do not have a ridgline on my eno, do I need one to ensure I am not creating a greater hang angle by adding one?

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    I have the GT double which is just like the ENO and found that having a ridgeline made a really big difference by offering consistency. The only time when the ridgeline gets removed is when there is a very short space to hang such as on an Ikea Garo stand (9ft) where the hammock needs to be pulled up to keep off the ground/center bar.

We live in a very old house from the late 1700s that has been turned into 2 large apartments. Putting anything that needs support on the walls is pretty much out of the question I have been following a few of these Indoor Hanging threads for a while and think that my best option would be to frame the room with 2 x 4 and 4 x 4 (paint to match the walls) and hang from that.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leemur View Post
    I have the GT double which is just like the ENO and found that having a ridgeline made a really big difference by offering consistency. The only time when the ridgeline gets removed is when there is a very short space to hang such as on an Ikea Garo stand (9ft) where the hammock needs to be pulled up to keep off the ground/center bar.

We live in a very old house from the late 1700s that has been turned into 2 large apartments. Putting anything that needs support on the walls is pretty much out of the question I have been following a few of these Indoor Hanging threads for a while and think that my best option would be to frame the room with 2 x 4 and 4 x 4 (paint to match the walls) and hang from that.
    Old wood such as you have in your house is square cut and stronger then new wood, You can use a ENO indoor wall mount, use straps and rings to hang just fine, I am 250 lb. and been hanging just fine. Just remember the A/C blowing under the hammock in the daytime is fine but at night a light under quilt might be needed. see my pictures as to how I hung in the bedroom and living room. Good luck and sleep good.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stabzmcgee View Post
    I am trying to set up an indoor hammock setup. I am 6'1" and 275lbs. I am trying to decide what all I would need for a safe and non destructive hang. I really dont want to mess up any walls or studs in my house. I am trying to calculate using the ultimate hangs calculator but am wishing it was a little more clear. If my room is 15 foot long, hammock is 118 inches, I am 275 and i will probably be pretty high off the ground (4-5 feet) I am seeing that I will need to have the Eye hook placed 100 inches up, and they should each be able to take 275 lbs. Do I need to build any type of wall bracer for this due to my weight? I do not have a ridge line on my eno, do I need one to ensure I am not creating a greater hang angle by adding one?
    Use long straps, rings and a ridgeline to get set up, ENO inside hangers are great and you will do just fine. make sure you are in the center of the studs. Drill off windows or corners for multiple studs locations help, if not a double 2x4 horizontally across 2 will be stronger. Just ask if you need help I have a auto post to email.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Can you please explain this (the bold section) a little more? Mine is hung on the far corners of perpendicular walls, but that's only because the stud was hard to find on the other side of the corner on one end.

How would that slight change change how it's pulling on the threads. Doesn't it anyway?
    Corner, window, door, closets all have double studs for a frame around the hole in the wall, Hanging across from end to end has pull down force, if they are not lined up you pull down ans sideways creating more force for weakness. hope this helps.

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberbeastWaco View Post
    Old wood such as you have in your house is square cut and stronger then new wood, You can use a ENO indoor wall mount, use straps and rings to hang just fine, I am 250 lb. and been hanging just fine. Just remember the A/C blowing under the hammock in the daytime is fine but at night a light under quilt might be needed. see my pictures as to how I hung in the bedroom and living room. Good luck and sleep good.
    Thanks for the reply! However, my landlord is OCD about the walls. We currently hang our art with Command hooks per his request to not put nails into the plaster as it has a tendency to spiderweb. The house is still settling after all these years and he shows up every 6 months or so to micro-fill the cracks that develop in the plaster.

Would 2 x 4 not be strong enough to make a frame?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast