Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Has this happened with your camping hammock? Over Sommer purchased a 11' hammock 1.6 (something) net less from Dutchware. Was sleeping outside a couple nights a week I was getting some great sleep. When it got cooler move things inside. And started sleeping full time in Hammock, over the last two or three weeks I've noticed I'm getting pressure points around my hips. Started off the adjusting suspension to maybe compensate for this. I know that fabric stretches I can't really see any kind of permanent stretching in fabric. And was wondering if I shouldn't be using a couple of hammocks and switching them out maybe like once a week or so or something along that lines. I have seen set a lot of indoor hangers have moved to Brazilian hammocks for long term sleeping indoors and just keep my camping hammock for when I go camping or sleep in my backyard ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    i have been sleeping in a 1.0 hexon 10' for like....three years maybe four? i also popped two small holes (durn those fancy nail clippers) near where my butt ends up. i have found, since and probably because of the small holes, that my hammock body sits kinda funny with me in it; i have to lay on one diagnol (<-so i forgot how to spell this word?). not am issue unless i disassemble my whole kit for washing or whatever. then i have to re-figure out which way is right else it feels like its trying to dump me with more pressure on one side. as i said, i blame the two lil holes i popped and i want a new one. i will not go brazilian weave, but thats because im a minimalist kinda guy and one full kit (with spares) is enough. i'll buy a new dedicated home sleeper one day after my knee surgeries let me go back to work, and then i'll also buy a chameleon as a dedicated camper. this holy guy will be my spare, with its funny lay and all. also, my funny lay MIGHT BE because i spliced my CLs THROUGH the channel and that may be causing some strangeness. ususally you larks head your CLs through the channel or whip the hammock body and larks head behind the whipping, i opted to try a new method with the CLs spliced through and i like the simplicity. not disassembling the CLs to larkshead them and 'see' because thats a lot of work my arthritic fingers aren't into unless necessary.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    My own custom made hammock
    Images
    I just started sewing my own hammocks and bags. I started indoors in my basement. To big lag bold and nuts to a ceiling joist about 14’ apart. I am 6’2 230lbs and I was hanging in my 10’ hammock without an issue. Also use this to test out new hammocks I sew

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I don't think you should need to switch.

I would try adjust in the suspension a bit more. Play with the foot height. Also if you are using a structural Ridgeline try adjusting that to find a more.comfortable spot

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My divorce is close to the end, so I really need to step up my indoor hanging game. I think an install next to the bed is in order; she's taking the mattress anyway. Maybe the living room as well.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Now that I'm hanging indoors full time, maybe I need to take my tent/mattress when I go out?

No.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Now that I'm hanging indoors full time, maybe I need to take my tent/mattress when I go out?

No.
    YES! Out to the curb!!!

Any downside to using these?

TuhooMall Outdoor Suspended Capacity Heavy Duty Swing Hangers,Sandbags Frame Swing Hook for Swing and Yoga https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773D3K39..._8SWdDbB0N9304

I'm going to be mounting these on angled 2x6s used for ceiling joists. I weigh in at around 340lbs... I would likely try to get longer lag bolts, but wanted to make certain these would be ok, with people who may know better,

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    Any downside to using these?

TuhooMall Outdoor Suspended Capacity Heavy Duty Swing Hangers,Sandbags Frame Swing Hook for Swing and Yoga https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773D3K39..._8SWdDbB0N9304

I'm going to be mounting these on angled 2x6s used for ceiling joists. I weigh in at around 340lbs... I would likely try to get longer lag bolts, but wanted to make certain these would be ok, with people who may know better,
    Those are plenty strong enough, but $52 for the pair seems really costly!
    I just use something like these on my 45* angled ceiling joists (mine are a different brand but similar specs):
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-1...9314/204820639
    But exercise caution hanging from those joists!!! IMO, the biggest concern would be the potential for significant damage to your 2x6's with so much weight on them, even with longer & stronger screws. The 2x6's will start to bow, and you'll start to see popped drywall nail/screw heads. Also bear in mind that the big screws you drive into the joists will chew into the very wood that supports your roof and ceiling.

I see 2 options you might consider to protect your angled ceiling joists and lessen the worry factor. Option 2 is much easier and safer!

1. If you absolutely MUST hang from your angled wall/ceiling joists, install a 2x4 on each end to spread the load across 3 joists ( 36" long will do if the joists are 16" apart). First mount a cargo ring in the center of each of those 2x4s, using through-bolts (not just screws) with recessed nuts in the back of the 2x4's, then secure the 2x4 to the centers of all 3 joists. Repeat on the other side of the room. Some time ago a HF member showed us a nice way he did this, so they also supported a shelf instead of just a 2x4 across the wall. If I can find it I'll post the link. Even then, keep in mind that on an angled wall/ceiling such as you and I have, the "pull" of the hammock on those joists is much higher than if it's hung on a vertical wall. I've done it anyway, with a much lighter weight, but I check the walls and all connections carefully just about every day! That said, I wouldn't recommend putting 340 lb "live load" on 2x6's at that angle.

2. You (and your walls/ceiling) will be much safer if you use a stand instead! Here are my suggestions for two inexpensive and easy-build DIY stands that will safely support 350 lb or more, depending on the materials chosen. Both can be folded out of the way without disassembly if the floor space is needed.
    a. DIY tensahedron stand:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/148962-DYI-Tensahedron-Hammock-Stand
    (DIY variant of the excellent commercial Tensa4 stand). My every-night and guest DIY ones are 3/4" emt but some folks have made stronger ones with 1" emt or even 1-3/8" fence rail. Quick, cheap, sturdy, uses entirely off-the-shelf materials, and its unique design has a certain "wow" factor. I can make one in about 30 minutes with hacksaw, drill, and file or grinder. Or just a drill if your local Home Depot or Lowes will cut and ream the poles for you.

b. I also like this style, and made one for a friend about your size who uses it full-time:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-style-stand
    This is a VERY sturdy A-frame style stand, easy to build with chain link fence top-rail but you'll probably need to order the connectors for it. The assembly takes just a couple of minutes.

Either of those stands will serve you well, with no worries about damage or whether it will support you safely.

Thank you VERY much, Wholly. My plan is to get a bracket that will span a couple of the joists. There are four sandwiched 2xs, per joist. I found these : Barn-Shed-Play 4 Hole Heavy Duty Hangers And Springs Porch Swing Hanging Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K84UB9W..._-z6dDb921P2T7 which have 4 holes per bracket, and I believe I could center 2 holes on two different boards. Plus the springs would absorb some of the immediate shock from climbing in and out of the hammock. I am not opposed to a stand... But would prefer to ceiling mount, because my wife is NOT interested in a stand hogging her porch space.

Here are some pics of the ceiling of my patio.

20190606_202526.jpg20190606_202522.jpg

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Yes, definitely get the ones with springs! I forgot to mention them. I bought mine at Lowe's a few years ago, but I don't see ANY of my hammock or porch swing hanging hardware on their web site now. I guess they have new vendors.

Your pix are helpful. I've never seen FOUR 2x's sistered together to make a porch joist! That's pretty massive. My upstairs joists are angled 45*. Yours look like about 30*, safer than mine for hanging a hammock.

The screw-on brackets in your Amazon link might fit under your quadrupled 2x's if they can be oriented so the mounting holes can be centered on two 2x6's in each set of joists. The bracket specs say 3-5/8" between screw holes, but it looks like the hole spacing is different in the two orientations, and the spacings are not specified both ways.

Or better, you could center the brackets onto the SIDES of the joists instead of the bottoms, and go almost all the way through all 4 2x6's using 5" x 3.8" hex-head screws (or go all the way through with lag bolts, washers and nuts). Then you won't have to worry about pulling the brackets straight down out of the edges of the 2x's.

The beam across 3 parallel joists that I suggested above won't make much difference in your case, because it would take quite a lot of weight to bend or bow four 2x's that are sandwiched together (assuming they're screwed/nailed together along their length).

If your wife complains that the hammock takes up too much porch space when you're not using it, you could rig up a simple overhead pulley and weight that will lift it up out of the way automagically when you get up! Look here, last paragraph at bottom of page: https://www.seasidehammocks.com/How+...mock-sp28.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast