Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Now THAT is some serious hammock hanging! And it fits right in with the Duct Pipe Modern decor. Good work, and enjoy the naps!

Hammock
    EXP
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas XL
    WOW! that's some heavy duty anchors. A lot nicer than my anchor points on the floor joists.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin28 View Post
    WOW! that's some heavy duty anchors. A lot nicer than my anchor points on the floor joists.
    Just drill holes to run amsteel thru...doesn't get any cleaner and unobtrusive than that!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird (x2)
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Indoor hammock hanging help

Thanks to all in this thread for inspiration, especially @Latherdome and @WhollyHamaca, I am now in my 3rd week of full-time hanging and it’s working out great. I am sleeping better, definitely more comfortable in the recent heat, and it’s also great for sitting (sideways) while lounging or doing work email. I also love the extra space in my bedroom.

Here’s the setup.
    Hammock is the one @Latherdome recommended, La Siesta Carolina.
    https://www.amazon.com/SIESTA-Caroli...gateway&sr=8-1

So nice I bought a second one to duplicate this setup at my son’s apartment.

For wall anchors I am using the L-track that Dutch sells.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/

I screwed them into the wall studs using #10 x 3 1/8” screws

The size of the head is just right to sit flush in the L-Track

I found a really nice option for a spring @ Home Depot.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5641/202045480

They compress under load, which seems safer to me than expansion, have 325lb working load limit, and do not make any creaking noises. The draw bars remove, so I threaded the sewn loop in one end of my nylon webbing onto one draw bar.

The entire suspension setup goes
    L-Track ring fitting
    Soft Shackle (made my own with 1/8th” Amsteel from Dutch)
    Spring (top)
    Spring (bottom)
    Nylon webbing sewn loop
    Dutch Beetle Buckle
    1/8th” Amsteel loop (not spliced, just tied with triple fisherman’s bend)
    Larkshead onto end of hammock

The nylon webbing with beetle buckles gives an easy way to fine tune the adjustment. Right now both are adjusted about as short as they can go, so I may eliminate one/both nylon straps or swap my amsteel loops with shorter versions of the same.

Lessons learned.
    1) I am terrible at finding wall studs, even with a stud finder.
    2) I used Derek’s Ultimate Hang calculator to decide how high to hang the L-Track. I put the center hole at the value calculated, but I should have put the bottom there. As it is now I end up adjusted all the way to the top of the L-Track. I am guessing this is because the hammock after use/stretch is a bit longer than advertised overall length.

(Let me know whether the photos are working as I am posting this via Tapatalk and have not posted photos this way previously)
    Last edited by CopaMundial; 08-15-2019 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
    Thanks to all in this thread for inspiration, especially @Latherdome and @WhollyHamaca, I am now in my 3rd week of full-time hanging and it’s working out great. I am sleeping better, definitely more comfortable in the recent heat, and it’s also great for sitting (sideways) while lounging or doing work email. I also love the extra space in my bedroom.

Here’s the setup.

They compress under load, which seems safer to me than expansion, have 325lb working load limit, and do not make any creaking noises. The draw bars remove, so I threaded the sewn loop in one end of my nylon webbing onto one draw bar.

L-Track ring fitting
    Spring (top)
    Spring (bottom)
    Nylon webbing sewn loop
    Dutch Beetle Buckle

The nylon webbing with beetle buckles gives an easy way to fine tune the adjustment. Right now both are adjusted about as short as they can go, so I may eliminate one/both nylon straps or swap my amsteel loops with shorter versions of the same.

Lessons learned.
    2) I used Derek’s Ultimate Hang calculator to decide how high to hang the L-Track. I put the center hole at the value calculated, but I should have put the bottom there. As it is now I end up adjusted all the way to the top of the L-Track. I am guessing this is because the hammock after use/stretch is a bit longer than advertised overall length.

(Let me know whether the photos are working as I am posting this via Tapatalk and have not posted photos this way previously)
    Very nice! You have almost the same setup as I doo! Except I'm using the LA siesta flora. (the 13 footer) it's been a year for me and I will never go back.

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post

Here’s the setup.

L-Track ring fitting
    Spring (top)
    Spring (bottom)
    Nylon webbing sewn loop
    Dutch Beetle Buckle

Lessons learned.
    Hey CopaMundial, that's a great setup, and your photos are "picture-perfect"! The La Siesta Carolina is a very fine every-night indoor hammock. I like those adjustable L-tracks. The compression springs are IMO far superior to ordinary expansion-coil porch swings. You've got a VERY good and sturdy setup! And you have a lucky son to receive the same!

Finding wall studs can be a pain, and the stud finders I've tried weren't very helpful. I don't need one often enough to justify a "pro" model, so now I just use small neodymium magnets to find the drywall screw heads in the studs, then drill tiny holes on each side to be sure of centers. The magnets work really well unless you have an old house with metal lath & real plaster walls.

A few small bits of general maintenance advice (worth what you paid for it, and maybe even less):
    1. Your compression springs might start to creak after a while. It's just metal-on-metal from the 2 hooky things against the spring. Mine creak a little after a few thousand uses, but not enough to bother me. I did coat my "guest" springs with Dip-It, though, since newbies can be a little anxious about unfamiliar noises while suspended in the air!

2. You noted that your hammock stretched a little on first use. That's perfectly normal, and especially so with cotton hammocks. You'll also notice a difference when you re-hang it after laundering. I suggest that you don't ever put it in the dryer! Just hang it and let it air-dry. To keep its shape, don't sit or lie in it until it's entirely dry.

3. Just about any hammock will develop a bias and low spots in the fabric with frequent use if you lie in the same direction and/or sit (lounge) sideways in it facing the same way most of the time. The La Siesta hammocks are much better than the cheaper cotton ones, so it should be a long time before you notice asymmetry or uneven areas in your hammock. You'll feel it happening if you can't get quite as comfortable when you flip the hammock either head-to-foot or topside-down and then lie in it the same way as usual. My old Vivere developed a noticeable bias and low spots over about 3 years of every-night sleeping and daytime lounging, and my foot/exit side was stretched about 2 inches longer than the other, so now it's only usable in one direction, and better now for lounging than sleeping. Not complaining, since it gave me good sleep for about $15/year! My La Siesta (and yours) should be fine a lot longer than that because it's a better weave than the Vivere. Still, you can mitigate those issues and probably improve its longevity if you swap the head and foot ends every time you re-hang it after laundering. To keep track I tie a shoelace on the hammock's current foot-end loop. After laundering that loop becomes the head end and I move the shoelace to the new foot end. The shoelace is a simple visual aid, easy to tie and untie, and stays put in the laundry. You can also flip the hammock over (topside-down) in between launderings. I do that to shake out the inevitable kitty fur, but I think it might also help the hammock to wear more evenly because it changes the friction spots due to diagonal lay.

Best wishes for many happy dreams in your fine new indoor hammock!

Where is the calculator that you are talking about?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wingsuiter, at a quick look I couldn't see what calculator you were referring to. But on this forum, almost every mention of "calculator" refers to the Hammock Hang calculator here:
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator

If you have a phone that can download apps, there is another version of this calculator there. It can be more handy because it allows you to "fix" more elements. For example, where in the trees you can usually adjust the height of the suspension, indoors that might be limited. In my case, outside on the house I have fixed rings and fixed height. So all I can adjust is the suspension length. To get the right angle/sag, depending upon the hammock, I might be inches off the ground. But I am off the ground.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

ENO Deluxe Hanging Kit

I just bought this ENO Deluxe hanging kit from REI today for 30 bucks. I like them I have one set up for my kids not my diy good20191004_131944.jpg20191004_134847.jpg

I'm considering a ceiling hang with padeyes after Pedro's example, but I'd have to hang perpendicular to the joists.

I feel like I'd need to sister the joists to allow for use of a diamond padeye e.g.

Code:
     _| |_
    | | | |
    | / \ |
    |/   \|
    |\   /|
    | \ / |
    |_| |_|
      | |
    or triangular padeye e.g.

Code:

• + New Posts