Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Official Maiden Voyage in Central Wisconsin

Hey everyone, here is a pic of our site setup at a site with two HHED's.

Thanks to everyones help and sharing of information, the night went flawlessly and I just thought I would share.

I was able to test alot of my gear and found a few flaws that I plan on resolving, first of which is a stove to cook on. My Pepsi can alcohol stove that I made failed me and I tested it in my shop pretty extensively, but the side flames wouldn't stay lit, hmmm back to the drawing board.

I think I'll be looking at a small multi fuel to help during the cold season.. ??

What stove does everyone use here? Can you help me decide what will be light enough and work in the winters here in Wisconsin? I thought about the Jetboil, it looks like a winner, but I'm just not sure.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    yo Agfadoc,
    congrats on the first night out. More comfortable nights ahead for you I'm sure.

I passed through your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago, had lunch in the Kohler-Andrae State park and drove through the camp-sites with an eye towards hanging. Lots of good options there it looks like.

On the stove thing, my experience with butane burners like a JetBoil is that cold slows 'em down. Kept one going in the teens, but I was a little concerned. Propane will have the same issues. If I was looking at much colder temps I'd bring a white gas rig (I have a bomber Svea stove that has been running strong for over 30 years). But these days I save it and its younger white gas siblings for the coldest outings.

Grizz

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Try one of these bush buddy stoves, here
    This can be a diy with two cans, 1 qt. size and 1 pint size. There are a couple of instructionals on youtube. They burn really hot and you don't need to carry fuel, just pick up sticks around your campsite. They've been discussed a few times here.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Jetboil for 3 season, my trusty 20 yr old MSR whisperlite white gas for colder temps

Hammock
    Not sure yet
    Tarp
    varies
    Insulation
    TNF Cat's Meow
    Suspension
    Moving to webbing
    The Jetboil PCS is hands-down spectacular. At least, in my experience it has been. I have never had a stove that was as fast and efficient as the Jetboil. If all you're doing is boiling water, the Jetboil is a great way to go. It isn't the smallest or lightest setup, though, but it works very well.

If you want to run DIY alcohol stove, try the Super Cat Stove: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

If you want to run a non-DIY alcohol stove, I've had good luck with the Trangia: http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=327550

If you want a simple wood burner (and you don't mind soot), try the Pocket Cooker: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...0&kwtid=209795. I've had best results with the door (where you feed the fire) facing into a slight breeze. Not the lightest thing, but it does fold down into a reasonably small package.

If you want a not-so-simple wood burner, the Sierra Stove works well, and boils water almost as fast as my old Feather 442 does with white gas: http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html. It's a minor hassle to feed in its stock form, so I made an aluminim cross to elevate the pot and allow for feeding the fire without pot removal.

For car camping, we use a Coleman double burner camp stove, and a Coleman Peak 1 Feather 442 dual fuel stove. Classics that are built like tanks and have always worked.

Edit: Congrats on your maiden hammock outing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Congrats on your first hammock camp!
    Can't help you on the stove. I can't make-up my own mind and spend 20 minutes before every outing trying to decide which one to bring. I have Stove Attention Deficit Disorder.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Agfadoc great pics! Glad everything went well. What would you consider a light stove? 1/2 pound, 1 pound, fuel included? Are you hiking, canoeing, or just semi/car camping?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the comments and advice..

To be honest, I just started to get back in to backpacking after many, many years, so I couldn't tell you what I consider light. I know Ultra light would be alcohol, but weight is relative, and if I need it, then I will just have to get stronger...

I bought a Jetboil as I figure I currently will only be needing water, but I realize that it will be limited to the spring-fall season. I am planning on buying a Coleman 442 white gas for winter, and my backup will be a wood burning stove solution, like the bush buddy, as I want an unlimited fuel source.

The Jetboil really rocks, I can't believe how fast it boils and how little fuel it uses.

Thanks again everyone for the info!

Hammock
    DIY
    The only answer to stoves is the sponsor of my site http://www.gridrunneradventures.com you'll find a link on the side bar of the site to his videos and store. Mini Bull Design stoves are awesome.

• + New Posts