GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Can't say I think much of the water collectors or the green scrubby idea. However, it does remind me of the story of Celestine Tate Harrington, a quadriplegic street musician in Atlantic City who played the organ with her lips, teeth and tongue. She was sometimes called the Flipper Lady, because of her undeveloped arms and legs.

When Celestine had a child, the Philadelphia Department of Public Welfare tried to take her child away, claiming the child could not possibly be receiving adequate care. In court, Celestine demonstrated that she could change her daughter's diaper and clothes, using just her lips, teeth and tongue. The judge awarded Celestine custody of her child.

So yeah, it sounds pretty nasty. I wouldn't want to change my child's diaper with my lips, teeth and tongue, but there's no reason others can't do it.
    An amusing anecdote indeed. Quite apropos as well.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Goodness gracious! Seriously; all carny freaks, boardwalk oddities & poopie diapers aside, I gotta wonder: Who ARE we (so many of us) that we're getting our tarps so thoroughly trashed, stuff encrusted and bird poop-pasted?? Mightn't one well and safely de-poop one's tarp, prior to collection of potable water? One might ought to pause, and consider all the fishies 'n froggies, and turdy turtles, just poopin' away in all the pristine lakes 'n rivers, ponds and streams where one might LIKE to draw off some refreshing water. It could aallll (even tarp runoff) be treated or processed so to make it palatable to even the daintiest of sensitive sippers with flip-flopping bowels and touch-trigger gag reflexes. One'd be like to drop off of dehydration, before tarp runoff would be as to kill one. It's free and zero-effort, and ahead of so many waters folks never think a thought at, before greedily and gratefully gulping. So, there it is: One man's pointless ponderings and meaningless meanderings.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Well, next time you spray your tarp with permethrin, ask yourself if you want to drink it.

These things are a solution looking for a problem. Hennessy first brought these out years ago and nobody would buy them. He put them in storage until Kammok "invented" them again. He's been giving them away for free ever since. If you find yourself in a situation where the only water source you have is rain water off your tarp, consider heading for the trailhead where your car is parked.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    While i haven't used the HH2O system, i have used a "bailing bucket" and sat it under one of my tarps using a grass made string as a drip line and filled my gallon bucket one night. I did use my Sawyer filter to filter prior to drinking for the same concerns as mentioned above, but it provided enough water for my party of three. It's an easy way to collect clean water to drink and you don't have to move more than a few feet for water if it rains. I'd personally use as long as you filter it, but you could take the chance.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Well, next time you spray your tarp with permethrin, ask yourself if you want to drink it.

These things are a solution looking for a problem. Hennessy first brought these out years ago and nobody would buy them. He put them in storage until Kammok "invented" them again. He's been giving them away for free ever since. If you find yourself in a situation where the only water source you have is rain water off your tarp, consider heading for the trailhead where your car is parked.
    Well, were it ALL about me, I'd mention that I've never been witnessed permethrifying my tarp (Silicone spraying? YES!). Not even by myself. Nary a problem have I, with pests pesting me through my tarps. But, if I were to apply my imagination to the matter, I'd prolly conclude something like: "Permethrin! It killed my worms, and it'll kill yours, too!" But, a little more seriously; I'd resist all urgings to permethrify my tarp. That's the MOST exposed and weathered of all surfaces, and the least likely to hold a useful charge of permethrin. Bug net and hammock proper? Yes! And, though I can recall some instances wherein rainwater was my ONLY water source, I can recall many an instance wherein rainwater was my BEST source of potable water; and frequently, my car was parked at Trailhead America. Considering quitting was not a consideration. So far, when it's come to Drink or Die, I've always been a drinker. I can even imagine tamer, more domestic A.T. adventurers benefitting from delicious, refreshing tarp runoff, if the choice was 'tween Drink, or, Quit. I don't use ALL the water filters out there, but I feel mine represents the general run of things, and I believe it'd handle permethrin taint quite nicely, if ever I forgot myself and so treated my tarp. -- I don't represent Hennessy, nor the International Tarp Runoff Defense League. I just recognize a good thing when it's good for me, no matter who was firstest, or who's giving them away for how much. If it's stupid, and it works, I choose stupid every time. I know what you're thinking!!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used one just last week. Extra water is always welcome at my tarp. I looked at the tarp before it rained and there wasn't a spot on it. I can't recall the last time I saw bird junk on my tarp. Sure it does happen but I find it is rare. I have collected and filtered some bad lookin' water. Boot water, the kind that comes from a big trail puddle or trail water, the stuff running down the trail in high country. I think the tarp water would have been a welcome choice any of the times I needed it. Filter or boil. when in doubt I carry two coffee filters if I'm forced to get muddy puddle water. I may carry the water catchers and then it doesnt rain. So its a hit and miss deal but I take one every trip. I put a coffee filter chunk, just big enough to cover the threads of the bottle and screw the catcher over it trapping the nasties in the bird poop collection area above. Its as good as any water thats open to falling impurities. Sure I'd rather have nice water every time but when I run out and I'm way far from the car... It takes hydration to hike back to the car. Besides I hike with a dog and he will use what I do collect, bird poop or not.
    Last edited by Two Tents; 05-10-2015 at 09:25.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irondog View Post
    Well, were it ALL about me, I'd mention that I've never been witnessed permethrifying my tarp (Silicone spraying? YES!). Not even by myself. Nary a problem have I, with pests pesting me through my tarps. But, if I were to apply my imagination to the matter, I'd prolly conclude something like: "Permethrin! It killed my worms, and it'll kill yours, too!" But, a little more seriously; I'd resist all urgings to permethrify my tarp. That's the MOST exposed and weathered of all surfaces, and the least likely to hold a useful charge of permethrin. Bug net and hammock proper? Yes! And, though I can recall some instances wherein rainwater was my ONLY water source, I can recall many an instance wherein rainwater was my BEST source of potable water; and frequently, my car was parked at Trailhead America. Considering quitting was not a consideration. So far, when it's come to Drink or Die, I've always been a drinker. I can even imagine tamer, more domestic A.T. adventurers benefitting from delicious, refreshing tarp runoff, if the choice was 'tween Drink, or, Quit. I don't use ALL the water filters out there, but I feel mine represents the general run of things, and I believe it'd handle permethrin taint quite nicely, if ever I forgot myself and so treated my tarp. -- I don't represent Hennessy, nor the International Tarp Runoff Defense League. I just recognize a good thing when it's good for me, no matter who was firstest, or who's giving them away for how much. If it's stupid, and it works, I choose stupid every time. I know what you're thinking!!
    Well,

On most of the rest of the continent that isn't the North of the Mason Dixon Line and East of the Ohio River, particularly the Gulf Coast, permethrifying the dog poo out of everything in your pack and on your body, inside and out, is a good idea.

And so is planning your trip so as not to find yourself in the situation where extra weight beyond a filter is required to get water, unless you're in the habit of carrying stuff you don't really need. Most folks to whom weight is of even moderate concern tension their tarps with shock cord or surgical tubing spliced into the guy lines and plan their campsites close to or right on a water source..

HYOH, but like I said: If I find myself in the situation where I need to get rainwater from my tarp, I'm going home.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    I used one just last week. Extra water is always welcome at my tarp. I looked at the tarp before it rained and there wasn't a spot on it. I can't recall the last time I saw bird junk on my tarp. Sure it does happen but I find it is rare. I have collected and filtered some bad lookin' water. Boot water, the kind that comes from a big trail puddle or trail water, the stuff running down the trail in high country. I think the tarp water would have been a welcome choice any of the times I needed it. Filter or boil. when in doubt I carry two coffee filters if I'm forced to get muddy puddle water. I may carry the water catchers and then it doesnt rain. So its a hit and miss deal but I take one every trip. I put a coffee filter chunk, just big enough to cover the threads of the bottle and screw the catcher over it trapping the nasties in the bird poop collection area above. Its as good as any water thats open to falling impurities. Sure I'd rather have nice water every time but when I run out and I'm way far from the car... It takes hydration to hike back to the car. Besides I hike with a dog and he will use what I do collect, bird poop or not.
    Two Tents! I love the name! Like too tense! You need your hammock, just to relax! Or, is it you really ARE two tents, and feel torn between being a tee-pee or a wigwam? Either way, great name! And your post... Well stated and frankly honest! As to bird-pooped tarps: Any Australian might relate to this one. Dateline, Western Australia, just West of the worst of the Art Linkletter's desert. I'd hung up in a beeeeautiful knot of trees with an oasis, lizards, snakes, SOME birds, NO crocs, and everything a boy could want. A -REAL- "wet dream" come true, on the worlds driest continent! Day comes to dusk, and (I swear this is true!) all the birds in the world were coming home to roost! I mean ALL of them! Maybe millions of birds! Literally. Parrots, finches, and maybe even pterodactyls, all over, around and above me! It was a real poopstorm, and went pretty steady all night long, only significantly easing up towards the middle of the night. - Now you're thinking "Well he musta seen poop on the ground, from the previous night's roosting! What is he? A moron?" Well, maybe he is, and maybe he ain't. But he been called worse by his own mother, in any case. - Anyway, "NO". All was as perfect as a boy could dare to hope for. It was just one of those Australian things. Australia's a land to keep a boy on his sharps at all times. It was disgusting and destructive. The Devil's icing on a sinner's hang. "None of THAT runoff, thank you!"

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Well,

On most of the rest of the continent that isn't the North of the Mason Dixon Line and East of the Ohio River, particularly the Gulf Coast, permethrifying the dog poo out of everything in your pack and on your body, inside and out, is a good idea.

And so is planning your trip so as not to find yourself in the situation where extra weight beyond a filter is required to get water, unless you're in the habit of carrying stuff you don't really need. Most folks to whom weight is of even moderate concern tension their tarps with shock cord or surgical tubing spliced into the guy lines and plan their campsites close to or right on a water source..

HYOH, but like I said: If I find myself in the situation where I need to get rainwater from my tarp, I'm going home.
    Whole-heartedly and enthusiastically, do I agree with your murderous approach to killing' 'em 'fore they gotcha. Sure, I may get my mail on the Northern side of Mason/Dixon, aaaand even East of the Ohio (Guilty!), but I Been around and I still Get around. I once and for 8 years got my mail on Victory Blvd, Columbus Georgia. Even spent me a long Summer operating outta Lackland, San Antonio, TX. - We got us a real tick apocalypse going up North here, these several years past, and I've worked up a real personal thing with 'em. I permethricate all I can, and perform frequent (Obsessive?) tick-checks. I'm semi-retired and very independent, so, I "plan" my trips for durations of weeks (Even months.), and I'll need my water when I ever need it, and I'll take it wherever from I get it. - As to my carrying habits: Yeah. I'm in that habit, and it's in me. Though my old bones grind and resent me for it, I'll carry more than is prudent for a man of my condition, and some might say I'm "carrying stuff [I] don't really need". Guilty again. I'm a guilty, guilty man. But, as I stated in my Original Post, this may be more confession than explanation, and I knew that what I said would be used against me in a court of forum opinion. This's all well and fun, and no blood 'tween forum-friends, North or South. Peace to you, brother, and happy hangs always. -- Separate matter, and no need to respond: Whaddya think of JH15 goin' down on your side of Mason/Dixon? I'll keep this topic topical, and shall say no more about THAT.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    While i haven't used the HH2O system, i have used a "bailing bucket" and sat it under one of my tarps using a grass made string as a drip line and filled my gallon bucket one night. I did use my Sawyer filter to filter prior to drinking for the same concerns as mentioned above, but it provided enough water for my party of three. It's an easy way to collect clean water to drink and you don't have to move more than a few feet for water if it rains. I'd personally use as long as you filter it, but you could take the chance.
    I like your ways and style, Fish! Obviously written by a man who knows how to cope with Guam! Well executed, well executed. Do you ever consider that you might easily slip away and go native? Even just a little bit? I seen it happen to great men, and I seen it happen to me! Point you make is that one needn't deploy the plastic gadgets of man to enjoy the bounties of nature. A grass water lead and a canvas(?) bailing bucket to water a man and two companions. Splendid! And you lived to tell the tale, so, a happy ending!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast