Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet

A visit with Jack Tier at Jacks R Better- a great experience!

I went to JRB this afternoon to get advice on finishing out my foundational equipment with a top quilt and down hood. I'd gotten a PM from a bud in the Forum saying that you could visit JRB and I am only about 60 miles away from their location. I emailed Jack and he said it would be fine to schedule a visit so he could be ready to talk. I did.

I have to tell you of how pleased I was by the visit. Jack (Peter Pan) was waiting for me when I arrived and helped me set up my Warbonnet in his shop in order to experiment with top quilts.

Jack helped me with my ultimate selection, but he also spent considerable time before and after that decision coaching me on hanging in general. A real gift!!

I truly appreciate Jack's advice and interest. More importantly, I took his advice, which I believe sound, in choosing the amount of insulation for my top quilt. I purchased a Sierra Sniveller with Activ-Dri down. I only came to the realization on my drive home that Jack's questions about my hammock, hanging habits, etc. helped him frame his recommendation. I realize now why he looked over my hammock so thoroughly and asked me questions about my setup.

Once I decided on the Sniveller, Jack made sure that I understood the various options in using my Sniveller, something that will help me dial in at first use plus I know what can be done for different scenarios. For example, the top draw string can be positioned to snug your shoulder keeping the top quilt engaged on your shoulder without a reliance on tucking. That's a neat feature that I might not have discovered initially.

We also talked about my cold weather camping experiences. Instead of "cold butt" I tend to have a "cold head" since I'm bald. I've used stocking hats and a balaclava but haven't been satisfied with these. Jack suggested a down hood as an alternative. I tried it on and the hood came home with me. Some more sound advice.

I've had good experiences with a number of the vendors who support the Forum. But my visit today was top drawer. Not only did I get the equipment I needed, advice on how to use it to best outcomes, I also learned a number of things about hammock camping that will help my experience going forward. Thanks Jack!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Glad to hear about your experience. They always seemed like a class operation. I'm curious because I was near there last spring and will probably be there again within a year. Do they have a store front or does one need to make an appointment to go in and look around?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    BMBH, Traveler
    Tarp
    Edge/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I have a similar story to tell about the hospitality/knowledge/kindness shown by Jack on my trip to JRB a few months ago (though I doubt I can convey it as articulately as JSH!). So basically, I echo everything he has said, and I've been loving on my BMBH since I've gotten it!

JRB are my first stop for hammock gear!

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    nothermark,

They have a business office that holds space to demonstrate/test products. Jack took me to a portion of their shop where they have a hammock stand. It was there that he coached me on a range of hammock applications leading to my top quilt selection. I have to admit to being very pleased with my choice now that I understand better its range of functionality. Their videos are good for this but it helped to have the demonstration that Jack offered. He's a good guy.

I would contact them ahead of time, though, about a visit. Without that, you might find them in the midst of fabrication or testing work and not be able to help you as Jack did with me.

You can be sure I'll make a similar appointment next year as I continue to build on my hammock equipment capability.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Pan has adjusted quilts and shown me how to customize my hang at several hangs over the years. Every time I get stuck on something, I wait until a MAHHA, look for the Jacks and have a solution in a couple of minutes. Between the Jacks and Dutch, I sleep very well in the trees.
    Your dog is the only relative you choose...

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna and I had the opportunity to stop by this past year when vacationing in the area. The Jack's are great hosts.
    We've been privileged to know them quite a while and enjoy seeing them at the MAHHA's. Their expertise and passion for hammock style camping is evident. Thus the success of Jacks R Better. Their products are top notch. I own the Hudson River and it has served me well for several years now. Whatever your need is, rest assured, they can meet it with a quality product and at a reasonable price. Enjoy the adventure!!
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I visited Jacks R Better when I was a ground pounder (sleeping in tents). I was using, what was back then, a modern sleeping bag (one with insulation underneath) called a Cats Meow. They took me in, taught me about quilts and humidity and how unsensible it is to be carrying around insulation that would ultimately compress under me. They built me a summer quilt that could become a sleeping bag, but that also folded out to an large top quilt. Their quilts are top notch, and I used and abused that top quilt for years. I used it in the tent, on the bed, in the hammock. It served me well. The Jacks probably also "sewed" the seed that got me into hanging. Between them and Ed Speer, I had soon completely abandoned the tent way of life. Also, their shop always had the latest in hammock innovation, with the high tech items like tri-glides and self-tensioning lines. At the same time, they reinforce the tried and true basics through their well written articles, such as how to pitch a tarp. Thanks Jacks for your help and support over the years.

• + New Posts