ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

How to best use this chunk of APEX

So, I've gotten a chunk (36" x 60") of 5oz Climashield APEX. My original plan was to use this to beef up my PLUQ so I could use it at lower temps. But the more I read about people doing that that, the more I'm hearing that maybe I'd just be better off creating a brand new UQ, since the PLUQ+APEX will be a big, bulky mess. However, my sewing skills are non-existent and I don't have any faith in my ability to craft a decent UQ suspension (I think I got lucky on my PLUQ, as it does hang well).

I found some UQ shells at underquilts.com, but those seem to be made for down, since they have baffles (which would be a pain to deal with since my climashield is a solid piece). Does anyone know where to get shells for synthetics?

Although, I'm starting to feel like I'm going down the road of "buy a little this and buy a little that" and suddenly I could've bought a nice Jarbidge for what I've spent in materials.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hi DF, Hope you and those great boys of yours ready for Turkey Day.

Underquilts.com is, sadly, not in business any longer. Search for posts on Lost_Biker (owner of Underquilts.com) for info.

I am not aware of anyone currently selling shells for synthetic insulation, or for use with down for that matter.

36" wide is a little narrow for an underquilt. 42" or a little more more typical.

Perhaps someone else will have a better answer for you.

Pappy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speed clips
    Images
    I did exactly this last year .... I added 5 oz Climashield Apex to my pluq... Honestly ... yes it is a BIT more bulky than a new apex UQ ... but not really that much. It still packs down pretty small. As a reference I can fit my PLUQ in the same stuff sack as my AHE New River. It weighs a bit more, but stuffs down pretty similarly. I CAN tell you that the Beefed up PLUQ works GREAT! as well as the new river.

So ... long story short, if you do decide to add it to the PLUQ, it will work just fine. But, you're probably going to want to build/buy another one anyway :P

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Boy, that 36" is just a little bit smaller than I'd want to use for an UQ, but you could give it a shot (it might work well for one of your boys). I'd pick up 2 yards of ripstop (maybe just a little extra for good measure). Cut the rip stop in half so you have two pieces of 36" x 60" ripstop and one piece of 36" x 60" APEX. I'd then follow the instructions at DIY gear supply to make the UQ.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decisions and progress.

If you're willing to experiment a bit, you could attempt to separate the 5.0APEX into two 2.5APEX sheets. Then put the APEX pieces back together with a bit of an overlap to make a wider sheet. 44" wide would be 8" at 2.5APEX, 28" at 5.0APEX, then 8" at 2.5APEX. The thickness would be less consistent than normal, but it might work. Then get 3 yards of 1.1 2nds from diygearsupply for the liner/shell. Attached is a photo showing some APEX5.0 separated a bit.

APEX5.0.jpg

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    A synthetic shell is nothing but to pieces of fabric the size of your insulation. A synth uq is really easy but 36" is a bit to narow. You could add a full width piece of 2.5 csa under it?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Personally with that size piece I would attack it in the other direction. Cut it and turn as a 4?" by the 36 long. Torso coverage / shorter partial length. Got 45,46 as your width. You would have a little waste but better coverage and your not trying to do some separation of the thickness that is tough to get even. 36" long should give you shoulders to butt or below depending on your torso length. For me it would be almost to the backs of my knees. A good sized leg/foot pad would cover that and you would have a pretty light weight and small quilt.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I have a sheet that size coming to me and I'm going to experiment making insulated socks for the winter. Once I have a working pattern, I'll share it on the forums.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Paul's idea is good- to add to it- you could tack the cut off piece to the bottom. Then you'd have a wide enough piece at the torso, and enough left over to make a piece under your legs. Basically the shape of a sleeping pad with wings but 3/4 uq sized. then add a ccf pad for your feet.

If you don't sew at all- and weren't too rough with it- you could probably bring a piece of shell material to a local tailor or even dry cleaner and have them make a pillow case for you to slip the insulation in.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Thanks, all. I think for now, I'm going to try and do what brino did and shove it between the layers of my PLUQ and see how it works next weekend. If it works well, I'll stick with that for now. Otherwise, I'll explore the layering option with some fabrics.

And like most of my gear, this will probably eventually get handed down to one of my kids, since I have a Jarbidge on my Christmas list.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast