Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images

I need a Fool Proof suspension for my niece

My 6 year old niece loves my hammock, and every time she comes to visit, she wants to know if I can hang my hammock up for her. So, I figured why not get her a nice little setup for Christmas? Brilliant!

I already have the hammock, but I'm struggling on suspension. The more I think about it, the more of a logistical nightmare it becomes. How can I explain to a 6 year old that the whoopie goes on the knot, not the toggle(TM)? That got me thinking - what's the most fool proof, effective, easily teachable to a child suspension?

If I was around to help her and teach her the first dozen times she set it up, that would be one thing, and I'd probably go with something like a dutch buckle. Since I'd be relying on her to get her own safety right, I want to make it as easy as possible. Her parents would be pretty adept at whatever I got, and they'd likely help her out, but I'd like to see her get to a point where she can pick two trees and set it up on her own. Eventually I'd like to get her out camping with me, so I figured all of this is a great first step.

So far my best guess is ENO atlas straps and carabiners, but somehow that just seems like it would take all the fun out of it. Any other ideas out there? Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    The atlas straps are easy as pie. That is what I would recommend for someone young and/or new to hammocks.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A strap and buckle is the simplest low cost setup to put together. Everything makes sense visually. If you use Dutch Clips or biners for the tree end then there is no reason to disconnect anything from the system as all she has to do is wrap and clip the tree end with the other already threaded. Adjust the buckle end and she is hanging.

FWIW If I did a strap and buckle for her I would be inclined to put a tether on the tree end clip so she could not decide to remove and lose it. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Dutch's cinch buckle suspension, coupled with climbing rated carabiners (you could use Dutch clips as well here, but I think that it's easier to teach how to use a 'biner) is likely the most fool-proof aside from the daisy chain style suspensions (ENO Atlas straps, et al).

Link to it (he'll even ship it with continuous loops to attach it to the hammock): http://dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckle.html

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Dutch clips and buckles for the win. Easiest set up I have used so far. I have a ridgeline on the hammock so the kids can't pull it too straight and they been putting it up by themselves since they were 5.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    I think that the easiest would be the ENO atlas straps, followed by cinchbuckles with carabiners. I personally use the cinchbuckles with carabiners, and it's the most convenient method I've used. However, some of the boy scouts have the atlas straps, and they seem even easier. Wrap around the tree, and attach to the appropriate loop.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    My kids all use Whoopies. But rather than a Marlin Spike set up I put carabiners on tree straps for them. They can wrap the strap around the tree then just clip into the Whoopies loop and adjust the sling to hang. The boys 10 & 7 have both been hanging in their rooms which Whoopies for several years. I think kids "get it" easier than many adults.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    Thanks for all the great replies! I've always been a gear and gadget guy, which is why I see the Atlas straps as sort of a cop-out. I always like to try out the latest and greatest stuff (and lighter is always better!). For a beginner, though, I suppose the kiss principle is always the best. Atlas straps it is.

The other thing I'm thinking would be to make this an incremental gift, so I can keep upgrading her gear every birthday or holiday. She'll be hooked on titanium bling soon enough!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Losing a Dutch Clip is like your favorite bird dog dying, so I'd give her carabineers at both ends of an Atlas strap.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cinch buckles are real simple.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast