Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps

Exclamation Best way to not get CBS in the cold? HELP for this weekend!!!

I am planning on heading up into the mountains this weekend, Friday to Sunday and it should be nice but very cold.

Night time temps in the low teens, 11 to 15 or so.

I think my top quilt will be fine, it's big and way over stuffed. But my under quilts have not worked out like I thought they would. I am also thinking that I am a bit of a cold sleeper.

Last weekend I went out and it was at or very close to freezing during the night. I used a very thin 1/8" foil faced pad and a short 20 to 30 under quilt. Short as in 3/4 or maybe 5/8 length. It's a homemade UQ, the down and design seems to be fine, but I had problems with keeping it in place. I had more of a cold back then a cold butt, but CBS still applies.

I also have two JRB 40 degree quilts, the Shenandoah Quilt and the Serra Stealth. I was thinking that with the Shenandoah and the 3/4 quilt it might be warm enough, but I am far from sure. Given that I will be about 5 to 7 miles in and in a foot of snow or more, I would rather pack more and be SURE I am going to be warm then freeze my butt off.

I also have several insulated air pads that I can add to the mix, plus the thin pad. (It's 40" wide and works great as a wind break and some insulation.)

Thoughts on quilt combinations, or Pad & Quilts, to keep me warm in the low teens?

Also, for you more snow experienced hikers;

For snow between 0" and say 14" are snow shoes worth it? Mountain trails with about a 3000' climb. Lots of rocks and roots, not a flat trail by any means, but it seems flatter with more snow. I have good winter boots and was thinking that they would be good enough.

Cooking Fuel? I have it all, canisters, alcohol, and white gas, I am thinking that the white gas would be the best option.

Images
    I would never take a trip like that with an unproven winter sleep system. Looks like you have a ton of stuff but just how it will all fit together is the issue.
    Your only safe backup plan would be to build a large fire and stand by it all night.

It sounds like a fun trip if you go prepared.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I agree with OutandBack. You shouldn't get that far afield in those conditions with an unproven sleep system. If you must, have you considered locations with some of the temperature conditions that are most accessible to a bail out? Could you car camp the first night and figure things out before leaving that behind for your final weekend destination?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    What kind of snowshoes would you take? In my experience, anything over 8" can wipe you out pretty quick post-holeing thru that step after step. I use MSR Lightning showshoes which are pretty easy to walk in and easy to negotiate. Also easy to attach to a pack if you absolutely don't need them.

For fuel, white gas is best in the cold but you need to decide what you want to carry for weight. Is the white gas system a lot heavier than others? I always use my Jetboil in the winter to melt snow and it does a great job; you just need to keep the canister relatively warm for best performance. Alcohol would be OK for coffee and meals, but probably not for melting a lot of snow.

For the underquilt, I'm not sure. Personally I don't like using pads so I would try to test the quilts if you have time before this weekend.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Weight or more accurately volume is not a issue as I'll be using my Kelly Red Cloud 6600 CuIn. Ton's of room. I was thinking about testing it out, but there is not really any place I can do that with the right temps. There is a big difference between sea level and the mountains here in the PNW. Also the cold front is not moving in until Saturday.

I guess I could take just about everything and figure it out on site, although that dose not sound very smart.

OutandBack, no Fires, this is in the Alpine Lakes area and the entire area is off limits to open fires, although I really doubt that anyone is going to be around to check! But it would be a pain to make one anyway.

This is what I was thinking for a setup;

WBBB (Dbl Layer) with a insulated pad between the layers. This is a 20" by 70" or so self inflating Alps pad that has some insulation in it, not sure how much but it works in the spring for ground camping.

Then the 3/4 20+ quilt and the Shenandoah quilt out side of that. I think if I connect the 3/4 quilt to the inside of the Shenandoah then I can just hang that and get it to snug around the hammock.

I can always bring the Serra Stealth is a separate stuff sack, just in case.

OR is this just a little too crazy and risky?

Not worried about the snow and camping, just the cold at night! (Hate CBS!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Insulhammock
    Insulation
    gigantic beer gut
    Suspension
    Never got caught
    A zippo hand warmer and a (breathable) SOL Escape Bivy are two additional things I pack. Always have a backup for a backup.

Images
    Well my backup plan would be to go to ground with the tarp, a water proof ground sheet the full length pad, and I would pile all my down on top of me.
    I'd take extra white gas and do the hotwater bottle trick. I'd also take extra fatty foods.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    A good backup would be some reflectix and a hot water bottle. That should help you stretch your range a bit. Still Outandback is right, tested equipment is where it's at.

David

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I would agree with out and back! thats a long way to go in the snow! with gear youn havent tested be safe out there!!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    All you need is a propane torch............

As others have said, a tested system of stuff you have, is really the only way I'd go more than a mile form the car.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast