Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by _jstevens2010_ View Post
    Papa Smurf. When is the sale coming? 
    We don't really do that.
    It's perfectly fine for other vendors and this is not meant to be a criticism at all.

It's just that our hammocks are custom built and very labor intensive. If prices can be lower this week, why not keep the sale price all year long? If you order a custom built item next month, why should you pay more?

Besides, I enjoy eating too much and sitting around visiting with all the little Smurfs.
    At our house, Friday is still called "the day after Thanksgiving".
    I hope this helps explain without being offensive to the other hard working vendors.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    We don't really do that.
    It's perfectly fine for other vendors and this is not meant to be a criticism at all.

It's just that our hammocks are custom built and very labor intensive. If prices can be lower this week, why not keep the sale price all year long? If you order a custom built item next month, why should you pay more?

Besides, I enjoy eating too much and sitting around visiting with all the little Smurfs.
    I hope this helps explain without being offensive to the other hard working vendors.
    Hear, hear! Bully for you, Randy!

bully 2.jpg

Hammock
    Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    We don't really do that.

Keeping it real! Love it...
    Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Your hammocks are already a bargain.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Love my Dream Hammock, beautifully made and so comfortable. I will be hiking and sleeping in it this weekend. Much better than fighting to holiday crush on black Friday. It is worse this year with stores opening on Thanksgiving day, makes me sad for the folks in retail that will have to leave or miss out on family time.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Heck YEAH!!!!!! Enjoy a little down-time.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    We don't really do that.

Well with that all cleared up and in appreciation of the motivation not to Black Friday, I ordered a Roaming Gnome for my bride. Can't blame folk for looking to find a bargain, exactly why this Scot heritage type even opened this thread, however cottage industry custom gear really is a great deal already.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    We don't really do that.

this is how it should be!!! like papasmurf said, if a vendor can afford to do a sale then they can afford it all year round...... don't get me wrong cause I did take advantage of some "black Friday" sales, but being a small business operator myself I cant give a deal at my prices, sure I could charge more all year till 1 day then have a sale I just choose not 2................

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    this is how it should be!!! like papasmurf said, if a vendor can afford to do a sale then they can afford it all year round...... don't get me wrong cause I did take advantage of some "black Friday" sales, but being a small business operator myself I cant give a deal at my prices, sure I could charge more all year till 1 day then have a sale I just choose not 2................
    I understand and respect Randy's position. If he chooses not to run a sale. Having said that, I don't completely agree with this view towards other vendors because it is eludes that they are overcharging regularly and are choosing to give "fair" pricing on black friday. Another way of looking at this could be that vendors that participate in black friday sales are willing to do so because while cutting into their profit margins, the amount of business that black friday sales drums up, outweighs the cut into their profit, making the whole ordeal favorable to all involved, vendors and customers alike. It is logical to reason that more business is a fair tradeoff for lower margins. While it could be looked at as less profit per piece, a bigger purchasing order in a short period of time can be very important to smaller businesses as well as larger ones such as the big box stores.

Please do not misunderstand me for sounding entitled. I think it is great and generous for the cottage vendors that participate in black friday sales. That is why I see discounts from 10-20% or even less as a very nice gesture and generous from the cottage vendors, where as a big box store or online distributor, I would think that was a meager discount. This is because their profit margins are much greater, whereas the cottage vendors have much slimmer margins and room to operate profitably.

Again, I think it is completely understandable that Dream Hammocks, or any vendor, choose not to participate in black Friday sales. After all, I would never want to see a vendor not run profitably because their services are great, and it's great to see a family, or families earn a living while making so many of us happy hangers. And I also think it's great when vendors can afford to pass the profits for such high volume sales onto customers like me, who use the push of the black friday sale to finally pull the trigger. Between that, and the fact that my beloved wants to buy me something I would truly love, we can justify making a purchase on something like a zero degree incubator with one oz overstuff in cobalt blue, when almost the rest of the year, this would be an out of the budget purchase for us.
    Last edited by pinballwizard; 11-30-2014 at 22:13.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast