WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Down to 50F

I did an experment last night taking my WBBB, with a Shenandoah (40F) UQ from JRB and a Eureka Hoback (60F) sleeping bag http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043264517614a.shtml , down to 50F. I'm a warm sleeper so I did the experiment in shorts and a t-shirt to make my experiment broader for others to use my info for themselves. I slept 4 hours sraight with no problems then the foot box somehow got out of the UQ and I awoke because of cold feet. I used a bungee cord (I'll replace it with much lighter shock cord for field use) to hold the UQ higher up on the hammock. I also put on some socks and a knit cap and slept well until morning waking up alittle chilled but not cold. Conclusion; The system worked well down to 50F, next time I will wear my polypro-long johns,wool socks, a knit cap,and possibly a fleece shirt, the whole night.

I have taken my WBBB double layer down to 40F with a Therm-a-rest pad and using the Shenandoah as a TQ and I was quit warm all night. Does any one know how cold someone could go down, temp wise, comfortably with a pad, a Shenandoah UQ and a 20F sleeping bag as a TQ? Has anyone ever used a GI poncho with a liner in it, as an under cover, to trap some of the heat that will escape from the sewn through part of the Shenandoah UQ, with success? Please let me know.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is one of my old Trip Reports going down to -12º.......
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2975

and another: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4197
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Does any one know how cold someone could go down, temp wise, comfortably with a pad, a Shenandoah UQ and a 20F sleeping bag as a TQ? Has anyone ever used a GI poncho with a liner in it, as an under cover, to trap some of the heat that will escape from the sewn through part of the Shenandoah UQ, with success? Please let me know.
    Welcome to your next new hobby...figuring out what temps each piece of gear works for YOU! Your neighbors will think you crazy!
    As far as your question, if you were chilled with that set up at 50, I would guess your 20* sleeping bag will be your weakest point and I'd start at 25-30* with appropriate clothes. Start conservative and work your way down

Enjoy!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I have taken my WBBB double layer down to 40F with a Therm-a-rest pad and using the Shenandoah as a TQ and I was quit warm all night. Does any one know how cold someone could go down, temp wise, comfortably with a pad, a Shenandoah UQ and a 20F sleeping bag as a TQ? Has anyone ever used a GI poncho with a liner in it, as an under cover, to trap some of the heat that will escape from the sewn through part of the Shenandoah UQ, with success? Please let me know.
    Not sure about the pad, but I used an uq (homemade with 9 oz of Speer down) and a 20* bag for a week hike on the AT last April. We had temps on Monday through Wednesday hovering right at 20 F (and three inches of snow) and I stayed nice and warm. I have a dbl WBBB and I slept inside the sleeping bag, but all I wore were long underware, "camp" pants (scrubs) and a long sleeve shirt. I wore a beanie as well while I slept. I never had a problem the entire time, at least not until morning when I had to actually get up .

I also used a winter tarp that fully closed to help retain some of the heat.
    YMMV, but it worked great for me.

Oh, AC, nice avatar. It set off the ADD for a minute
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah ... being able to close off a tarp in winter to keep the wind out is a wonderful thing. Truly, truly helps.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Oh, AC, nice avatar. It set off the ADD for a minute
    My original thought was to hypnotize the masses and have free gear sent o me, but alas, my mailbox is still empty.

Inlew of free stuff and based on the overwhelming 'positive' feedback from you and others, I will conduct a new search for a replacment as time permits.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I want to update my post because I just noticed the price of the sleeping bag. I bought mine on speical for $20, and it's well worth that, but at $60-$70 I think it's over priced. I don't think that it's any better than a GI poncho liner weight or R-value wise.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts