I got partway through making a HH clone based on Headchange's instructions last night. I started with 3 yards of chocolate brown DWR from Ed Speer. The 9' length is a little too small for me (at 6'0), but I'm thinking I'll give this first attempt to my nephew for a late birthday present.
I hemmed the edges, made my "tube", made my "loop thingys" and rolled and whipped (zip tie). At first I used the 5 rolls per side, but it seemed to be a little tight when I got in, so I went back and went with 4. My loop thingy's are a little too long as well (easy to shorten, harder to lengthen).
My plan now is to sew some of Ed's velcro to the sides for bug netting, then sew the other side on the netting and viola! I'm hoping the velcro won't be too difficult to sew, and that it'll hold well enough and give the top part of the hammock some shape, and not be a general PIA.
I'm using the ring buckle suspension method as well.
It's pretty comfortable, I actually fell asleep in it for a little while last night, it's just a little too small for me. My next version will be for my brother-in-law and will be about 10' long.