Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Stuff Sack vs Compression Sack

Seems everyone uses a stuff sack for their hammocks and tarps. Is there a reason not to use a compression sack?

My wife has an idea for a very minimalistic type compression sack just not sure if there is a reason not use one?

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AceShooter View Post
    Seems everyone uses a stuff sack for their hammocks and tarps. Is there a reason not to use a compression sack?

My wife has an idea for a very minimalistic type compression sack just not sure if there is a reason not use one?
    I use both from time to time depending on load and pack. I use the E-vent dry bag compression bags when I have the need for compression. Use of compression bags can make it difficult to fill out the corners, nooks, and crannies of your pack relative to stuff sacks which can take the shape of your pack voids

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good point about filling out bag. Might have make a set along with a stuff sack and use accordingly.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey man, Welcome to HF! I keep my hammocks in the stuff sacks that they came in. It's been my experience that the hammocks pretty much fill up their respective stuff sacks and they fit well into my pack without being compressed. My tarps are stored in snakeskins for ease of deploying quickly. I use a full length ridgeline with my super-fly tarp, which has some Dutch bling affixed. I see no need to compress my hammock or tarps, ymmv. If you are like me and leave some bling attached to your hammock or tarp, I would consider any damage that could occur to them by being compressed. Some folks keep their stakes in the sack that holds their tarps too. To me it's just not worth the possibility of tearing or poking holes in my gear. I am not a UL hammocker but try to get my pack as light as I can and still have the things that I feel are needed to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. The only reason I might use a compression sack would be to maybe put quilts and spare clothing in if I was going out for longer trips. I usually only go out for 2-3 nights. It's been a while since I posted but I saw your post and jumped back in again. Take care and HH.
    Last edited by Bama Man; 11-30-2014 at 01:03.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good points Bama_Man. Didn't think about the hardware damaging the hammock or tarp.

Also, RollTide!

Hammock
    My Own Make
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    My Own Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Hammocks aren't very compressible and the draw string closure allows one end of the suspension to stick out. I use either a Black Bishop bag or a double ended stuff sack for my hammocks. I've started making roll top stuff sacks for most of my compressible gear. Once I get the stuff in the sack, I roll the top down to compress it and then fasten the buckle. Since I make most of my stuff sacks, they are sized to fit the stuff that I put in them. Another good option for very compressible stuff is an extended collar with a draw string that allows you to get the stuff in the bag and then push the collar into the bag. A roll top closure finishes the job.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    Use of compression bags can make it difficult to fill out the corners, nooks, and crannies of your pack relative to stuff sacks which can take the shape of your pack voids
    That's the main reason for me not to use compression bags. My compression bag is my backpack. I cram it until it's near exploding. I can put far more stuff in it that way than when using compression bags.

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    There's no benefit from using compression sacks for tarps or hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I pretty much agree with everything already said. My Warbonnet BB hammock can be compressed to about half it's size, just pushing my hands together. But I never use anything other than the sack it came it. It's pretty loose in that sack and all the gear around it in my pack smashes it flat it to fill any voids. Same with the tarp.

For other gear, I'll use compression sacks on rare occasions where something it just too big to even fit or it fills half the backpack like a big down winter sleeping bag. Even then, the included stuff sack works sometimes.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AceShooter View Post
    Also, RollTide!
    I was going to give advice until this

Just kidding. I just keep hammock in original stuff sack. Quilts just get stuffed into trash compactor bag in bottom of pack. Now by next year I may change things up but for now that is how I roll.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast