WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles

My height vs. hammock length and width.

Been covered, I'm sure. My search-fu is weak!

Anyway, I stand 5'10" and weigh around 180.

Looking at either a Dream or WB.

I'm concerned about length, builders state 10 foot up to a 6 foot person. Would I be good at 10 foot, this would save some money.

With the Dream, with my size what is a good starting width?

Thanks All!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm 2" taller and ~15 lbs heavier than you, and I find that the extra room in an 11' hammock definitely worth it. You might; you might not. Either way, that's what I've found good for me. 55" wide should be sufficient with someone built like you, but 58" will definitely be enough. Note that you save more weight by shaving width over length, even if you don't save money that way.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm also 2" taller and find 10' hammocks not quite long enough for me. Also, my ideal width in an 11' hammock is 52"-55".

One thing you could try is hanging in your Doublenest and measuring the amount of width you're not using, if any. And you can't go wrong with either vendor you mentioned.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I'm 210, 5'10" I have no complaints in a 4x9-
    If I go bigger it gets more comfy...
    Only really sharing in that I wouldn't stress much on 10'- a thought though- if you'll only have one- maybe an 11' that you could "choke up" to try different sizes might be better for your budget until you work out a final size.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'm right at 6 foot, 215, and best lay I've had is in a DIY 12 foot long x 64" wide.

I think the rule of thumb is going to be that the longer, wider hammocks work best for taller folk.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Alright, I'll spend the money once and cry once.

I'll go 11 foot and looking at Dream no wider than 60", that should be good yes?

WB looks to be no option width.

Choices!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You really need to TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Many members have purchased several hammocks trying to find what works for their needs/wants and fantasy.

Just because someone has the same general build as you do, does NOT translate to having the same set of comfort wishes/needs.

I read everything when I decided I wanted to seriously Hang. I had purchased an ENO on a whim, really liked the idea of Hanging, especially since my tent days were a misery at night. Plus my helper animal hated the idea of a tent. I settled on a Hennessy, then the learning curve struck. Getting out of the hammock a production, then too enclosed, then no view. Exit that group of hammocks, ya I bought 4 different models.

Finally I found a hammock that fits me and is easy for me to exit. Believe me I tried several before I found one that works very well for me. Now I am going to build a bridge that is short like myself. Mainly because a short Hang will require less space between trees. We have lots of trees, however sometimes it is very difficult to find the correct distance. I am 62 inches and shrinking, so longer is not better, also longer requires hanging a bit higher, not that great for some people.

Go to a Hang, look around for a loaner or organize a impromptu Hang in your area. Try before you buy, that is the best to get the best fit, well until the next improvement comes along.

Hammocks are addictive, people with ONE hammock are a rarity, I suspect those few individuals, buy a lot of hammocks and turn around and sell them to finance the next.

Hammock learning curve is wicked, plus I suspect a lot of us are very individualistic. I wish you the best of luck.

Hammock
    11' DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Suspension
    7/64 Amsteel
    Images
    Im 6' tall,210 lbs.I started out with a cheap 9.5 footer,and now im in a 11.5 DIY hammock that I made myself.
    Wow,what a difference that extra two feet makes.
    For me,it's like going from a Volkswagen Jetta to a Cadillac

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can also talk to the builders. They are both excellent. Papa Smurf knows how all sorts of sized people sleep. He is like a personal taylor. I'm 5'11 and shrinking. I have a 11ft (on sale) and a 10ft. I find the 10ft easier to get to the zippers. I also have a very wide Brazilian Hammock. Width makes a big difference, but can also lead to fabric flop (read about the knotty mod). Also, different materials stretch at different rates and lead to more or less comfort. That double nest is very stretchy (I had one of those too). At 5'10 and only 180, you won't stretch the materials very much. If you like a very hard bed at home, try the switchback hammock (I had one of those and I could get the hammock super firm-- great for the back). Of course, the WBBB has the shelf. So if you carry a lot of gear with you into the hammock that shelf comes in very handy. I still miss that shelf.

Ok, I like IronFish45's recommendation.
    Last edited by Z0rst; 12-01-2014 at 02:52.
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Im 6'1" and after 15+ DIY hammocks I have settled on 10'6" hammock lengths with a 1.5" cat curve on each end to pull the sides up alittle. The 11' and 12' hammocks are just as comfortable maybe even slightly more comfortable but not necessary IMO. Hammock length affects site choices and pack weight for me when I am backpacking. The pros just didn't outweigh the cons when hitting lengths above 10'6" for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast