Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I thought about that until I saw this....
    "Ropes, clotheslines, tent lines, hammocks and nails are not to be attached to trees or other vegetation."
    http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisi...trycamping.htm
    They must not have bothered with me because it was in the middle of the week and there was only one other person camping. Well that and I'm right desperate looking after a couple of 80 mile days.
    Nice place though. It's like a little piece of the Blue Ridge slid to the east
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images

Annapolis Rock

I'm considering busting out of DC this weekend for a quick two-nighter. Haven't decided on a place yet, but hopefully something less than 3-4 hours south of DC. I can probably leave DC around 3pm Friday and need to be back around dinner time on Sunday.

Anyone wanna come along? Or just suggest a good place in the area?
    Much closer is the AT in MD. I haven't hiked on it in many years, but I remember a beautiful overlook called Annapolis Rock. The first Washington Monument is along the trail, as well.
    I understand that this area may be overused, but if you are hanging, you can see this nice overlook and hang somewhere else. It's probably less than 2 hours from DC. Just a thought.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/at.html
    Best,
    Michael

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Much closer is the AT in MD. I haven't hiked on it in many years, but I remember a beautiful overlook called Annapolis Rock. The first Washington Monument is along the trail, as well.
    I understand that this area may be overused, but if you are hanging, you can see this nice overlook and hang somewhere else. It's probably less than 2 hours from DC. Just a thought.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/at.html
    Best,
    Michael
    Another nice hike is the Maryland Heights Trail. Again, it has been many, many years since I backpacked on it. It is a circuit trail so you wind up back from where you started. As I recall, it took two days or so. You get to it by climbing up Weverton Cliffs down near Harpers Ferry. That was the hike that did my ex-wife in and ended my backpacking until very recently. It was much less used than the AT in MD back then. I remember getting to the top of Weverton last time I was there and saw a hat move. Turned out it was on an 80 year old woman's head. We chatted for awhile and I learned that she was the head of a group called the Wanderbirds and she was clocking the place out for a future hike for this group of senior citizens. You can google it and probably get more info. I remember going into a clearing and seeing hundreds and hundreds of butterflies. Don't remember what month that was since it was so long ago.
    Michael

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to Three Ridges this time, but I might hit the Maryland trails next time I can take a trip.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Three Ridges was a great trip - sorry I missed you, HOI. I tried to post twice from work but the machine kept locking up. I was actually gonna stay at that shelter until the 22 kids showed up. Heard you made some thru's very happy, though!

All I had was a crappy disposable camera...I'll get pics up when I get them developed.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Three Ridges was a great trip - sorry I missed you, HOI. I tried to post twice from work but the machine kept locking up. I was actually gonna stay at that shelter until the 22 kids showed up. Heard you made some thru's very happy, though!

All I had was a crappy disposable camera...I'll get pics up when I get them developed.
    For the most part the big group stayed far enough away that the noise wasn't too bad but I think you made a good decision to keep going especially since you were at Harper's Creek so early. It was good talking with Totally Bogus from Whiteblaze and family that evening.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - Boagus said all of the noise was coming from you guys!

Friday night those kids were going strong until well after midnight...screaming and giggling...then they broke out the air horn...and that was through 100yds of woods! But after seeing what shape many of them were in on the trail Saturday, I expected them to be pretty quiet that night.

At least they were having fun in the woods.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    thanks for the trip report jeff. the pictures weren't bad for a disposable.
    i'm going to try & remember to use that page as an example next time i'm taking some of the church folks hiking.
    church folks especially ought to be good examples of respecting the land... not throwing down trash & short cutting the trails.
    i don't know how many times i've talked to people about that kind of thing. but if we're not careful, we'll get lazy & not do our job as leaders to teach good habits. and when we don't, it's just as much our fault (if not more) than the inexperienced people we take out there. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Good report. We all should do our part in getting the good word out. It seems as if someone had cut every switchback I came to on the Foothills Trail. Some were very badly eroded. BD
    Last edited by Bird Dog; 05-02-2007 at 07:34. Reason: forgot to put what trail I was referring to
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast